Wilderness Years - vote your top 3

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Wilderness Years - vote your top 3

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:I like Ride Your Donkey. It is some welcome light relief on an otherwise heavy going album.
You like "Ride Your Donkey" but aren't keen on "Get Down Moses." I think you've reached a fork in the road of your life. Pause and evaluate your life before picking one of the paths going forward.
Ride Your Donkey on the album is the best it could be. It's at its Ride Your Donkiest. That's what makes it work so well, especially compared to the rest of the album that's so unsure of itself.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:I like Ride Your Donkey. It is some welcome light relief on an otherwise heavy going album.
You like "Ride Your Donkey" but aren't keen on "Get Down Moses." I think you've reached a fork in the road of your life. Pause and evaluate your life before picking one of the paths going forward.
Ride Your Donkey on the album is the best it could be. It's at its Ride Your Donkiest. That's what makes it work so well, especially compared to the rest of the album that's so unsure of itself.
I'm unpersuaded, but I will say that, nonetheless, it's the strongest defence one can make.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I don't dislike Get Down Moses, it's good. I just never understood the love-in for it. Mind you, it's not a patch on Coma Girl.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I don't dislike Get Down Moses, it's good. I just never understood the love-in for it. Mind you, it's not a patch on Coma Girl.
Okay, feel free to choose your path, my son.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Ride Your Donkey made my best of Strummer comp. Lightweight, but that's alright.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Ride Your Donkey made my best of Strummer comp. Lightweight, but that's alright.
It's a good cover.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
dave202 wrote:I hadn't thought about this earlier when reading some of these posts, but when someone first mentioned Meskies material, I was always under the impression that the Wilderness Years were after the Earthquake Weather album, with a major label backing, and before the Rock Art album with the same support. Surely still being on CBS wasn't like being cast out, and their indifference and lack of support afterwards was?

Hence, my top 3 would be, probably today,

Afro-Cuban Be-Bop
Pouring Rain (from When Pigs Fly, because it is a great song to me)
The Harder They Come with the Long Beach Dub All Stars

Tomorrow, who knows?
Meskies only came into it because Joe's post Clash (Mick) song writing was questioned when I (and many others) think some of the Zmedkies tracks are some of Joe's best work.
Joe goes off into the wilderness and finds an unknown tribe to record his next project. Joe Strummer and the Zmedkies "Jungle Rock Art A Go-Go!"
Don't hold my feet to the fire blame Steve Jobs. Who put that tiny capital letter button (oh can't call them buttons) next to the z on that poxy keyboard.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Joe only wrote Coma Girl because he needed some extra gangs to go with the too many chains he put in Keys To Your Heart.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
dave202 wrote:I hadn't thought about this earlier when reading some of these posts, but when someone first mentioned Meskies material, I was always under the impression that the Wilderness Years were after the Earthquake Weather album, with a major label backing, and before the Rock Art album with the same support. Surely still being on CBS wasn't like being cast out, and their indifference and lack of support afterwards was?

Afro-Cuban Be-Bop

Tomorrow, who knows?
Meskies only came into it because Joe's post Clash (Mick) song writing was questioned when I (and many others) think some of the Zmedkies tracks are some of Joe's best work.
Joe goes off into the wilderness and finds an unknown tribe to record his next project. Joe Strummer and the Zmedkies "Jungle Rock Art A Go-Go!"
Don't hold my feet to the fire blame Steve Jobs. Who put that tiny capital letter button (oh can't call them buttons) next to the z on that poxy keyboard.

Do you know why we have the QWERTY keyboard? It was to slow down our typing so we wouldn't go too fast and break the typewriting. it was designed to make us go searching for the letters in the non-conventional order. But now, it's what we all get used to when growing and so it remains, even though the technological reason for it has long since died off.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Low Down Low wrote: 3. Walker (all of it, the whole damn thing, it's just one complete mass of inspired brilliance)
This has some value. This is probably Joe's equivalent of breaking away from the Clash sound in the same way that Mick did with BAD even though it was a soundtrack. I cant say i will rush back to play this again or hail it to be a masterpiece as this isn't quite my sort of thing. Tonight though at gone 11.30pm on this hot evening i have the windows open letting some cooling breeze come though the house. I have my trusty dog sitting by my side and i am digging this album in a very uplifting ambient way.

This is skillful songwriting to my ears its just not my taste but its interesting i still have my original vinyl copy of this upstairs so it helps i guess that i have heard it a few times before in my past but this is a damn sight more interesting than a lot of his other songs i have listened to in the past days.

Its a very sensitive album and if in the right setting and atmosphere can reach out and leave you touched.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Silent Majority wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Afro-Cuban Be-Bop

Tomorrow, who knows?

Do you know why we have the QWERTY keyboard? It was to slow down our typing so we wouldn't go too fast and break the typewriting. it was designed to make us go searching for the letters in the non-conventional order. But now, it's what we all get used to when growing and so it remains, even though the technological reason for it has long since died off.
I thought the opposite was true? I thought the letters were positioned and grouped in a way so as to make typing easier. Irrelevant really because regardless of how / where you put the letters you get used to it anyway.
My problem is having fingers too big for a poxy phone screen.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
Low Down Low wrote: 3. Walker (all of it, the whole damn thing, it's just one complete mass of inspired brilliance)
This has some value. This is probably Joe's equivalent of breaking away from the Clash sound in the same way that Mick did with BAD even though it was a soundtrack. I cant say i will rush back to play this again or hail it to be a masterpiece as this isn't quite my sort of thing. Tonight though at gone 11.30pm on this hot evening i have the windows open letting some cooling breeze come though the house. I have my trusty dog sitting by my side and i am digging this album in a very uplifting ambient way.

This is skillful songwriting to my ears its just not my taste but its interesting i still have my original vinyl copy of this upstairs so it helps i guess that i have heard it a few times before in my past but this is a damn sight more interesting than a lot of his other songs i have listened to in the past days.

Its a very sensitive album and if in the right setting and atmosphere can reach out and leave you touched.
Yes not my thing but I can appreciate it for what it is.

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

I thought the opposite was true? I thought the letters were positioned and grouped in a way so as to make typing easier. Irrelevant really because regardless of how / where you put the letters you get used to it anyway.
I can't believe I still type with one finger after 15 years on the internet. I'm amazingly fast with that one digit, but I just can't do multi fingers.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

Yes not my thing but I can appreciate it for what it is.
Me and my mate used to always put Walker on when we played chess. I can verify it is great chess music.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I can't believe I still type with one finger after 15 years on the internet. I'm amazingly fast with that one digit, but I just can't do multi fingers.
I only need one finger to show people what I think of them. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia