Not sure what this guy has against Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Not sure what this guy has against Joe Strummer

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 10:34am
It's cool to be contrary these days (and maybe it always has been). It's like music geeks who like to tell the world that the Beatles were not really that important.
One of the recurring opinions in the class I've taught about rock and history over the past three years is a steady number of students who declare the Beatles overrated or not very good. Follow-up questions normally gets them to admit that they're just sick of hearing about them. Sure, Beatles fans can go overboard in their adulation—uh, isn't that what rabid fans do with their idols?—but rejecting them on that basis is lazy kneejerk contrariness.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Re: Not sure what this guy has against Joe Strummer

Post by hairydot61 »

WestwayKid wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 10:34am
hairydot61 wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 8:45am
eumaas wrote:
23 Sep 2008, 10:54am
http://exiledonline.com/daily-inquisiti ... r-wallace/

Wow, this guy is a horribly pretentious asshole. I'd love to beat the living shit out of him with a brass statue of the Buddha.
I've a lovely cast iron one that you can use to do that job, you can have it anytime, ...these articles are just used to stir, playing the devils advocate for people wth strong sentiments to the individuals they are slinging mud at, I've heard of Joe Strummer and what he did and what he stood for, have not heard of this web publication, if it were actually a printed news paper / Magazine it would undoubtedly find its way into my toilet so I could wipe my big hairy arse with it, looking at the article it's credited to the Exile Team, obviously they are part of the problem and not part of a solution or cure, ....as you were x
It's cool to be contrary these days (and maybe it always has been). It's like music geeks who like to tell the world that the Beatles were not really that important.
True, just nobody arseholes trying to make a name for themselves, give them a guitar and see what they can do?.
One of my favourite Joe Strummer lyrics is, "Yankee
De tec tives always on the TV, coz Killers in America work seven days a week". .......says soooo much with so few words
. "Bikini Reds a state of mind,
I'm in a state and She don't mind"
  • Comforting the Disturbed and
    Disturbing the Comfortable

>>>>The Caped Curator<<<<