NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by Low Down Low »

dave202 wrote:The closest thing to an Anthology courtesy of The (New) Vinyl Villian
https://thenewvinylvillain.wordpress.co ... -strummer/
Nice one. 10 songs is an impossible task but I agree Willesden is the perfect closer, so much emotion in that song it tears me up every time.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Low Down Low wrote:
dave202 wrote:The closest thing to an Anthology courtesy of The (New) Vinyl Villian
https://thenewvinylvillain.wordpress.co ... -strummer/
Nice one. 10 songs is an impossible task but I agree Willesden is the perfect closer, so much emotion in that song it tears me up every time.
Thanks. The best bit s reading other people's comments, and a limit of which ten can change. I still have a tear at the end of The Future Is Unwritten when Willesden plays.

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

I guess this anthology isn't happening any time soon? I don't know what they are waiting for.

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Just noticed there are no live versions of Dakar Meantime on youtube right now. Could be nothing, or could be a sign that the powers that be are putting the anthology together. I've seen this happen with other groups -- when a label is rounding up stray tracks for a collection, those tracks suddenly start disappearing from the 'net. One can hope . . .

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

I hope you are correct. Fingers crossed.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

The version from the last show at Liverpool is up there. How many live versions of it were there anyway?

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Oh yeah, you're right. It's still up on someone's full show stream ( But there were also a couple uploads of Dakar by itself that appear to have been taken down.

Also, I don't remember if this has always been the case but it looks like Guitarslinger Man has been edited out of that stream. I don't recall ever hearing a live version of that tune. Has anyone?

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

msza2 wrote:
31 Mar 2017, 11:10pm
Oh yeah, you're right. It's still up on someone's full show stream ( But there were also a couple uploads of Dakar by itself that appear to have been taken down.

Also, I don't remember if this has always been the case but it looks like Guitarslinger Man has been edited out of that stream. I don't recall ever hearing a live version of that tune. Has anyone?
Yep there are a lot of boots.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

msza2 wrote:
31 Mar 2017, 11:10pm

I can't see why they'd go to the trouble, but you could well be right. Here's hoping anyway.

GSM is on one or two of the boots, but haven't heard it in a while. It was definitely never played in Liverpool though, but in a couple of the shows earlier than that.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Without digging out my copy I thing Portsmouth might be one?

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Off hand the only one I know for sure is on one of the Japan boots, the same night they played Sanpo Suru, think it might be the Liquid Rooms one...probably the best sounding one anyway.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I do hope against hope that there is something to this Anthology business, though. If I had the choice, I'd opt for new Meskie material before Clash stuff, but that's probably just me.

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Low Down Low wrote:
02 Apr 2017, 3:48pm
I do hope against hope that there is something to this Anthology business, though. If I had the choice, I'd opt for new Meskie material before Clash stuff, but that's probably just me.
Agreed -- aside from maybe the Lewisham show, I'd also prefer a Meskie release over more Clash. I love the Meskies.

Random thoughts ahead . . .

I think the Mescaleros could have had more success under a different set of circumstances. As much as Joe thought Hellcat was the right place for him at the time, I'm not really sure I can agree with that in retrospect. I was a teen in the early 2000s and was huge into all the Hellcat bands, went to all the shows, etc. It was a young scene. Most of my friends didn't "get" the Clash at that point. Rancid was our Clash. The Clash (even the debut) sounded too slow, too old fashioned.

I only knew one other kid at the time that dug the Mescaleros during Joe's lifetime, and even he couldn't get into Global. Joe was just too far out there to reach the audience Hellcat's marketing dollars were aiming for. He really should have been on a major that could have honed in on a more appropriate target demo, or some lame ass adult contemporary label or something.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

msza2 wrote:
02 Apr 2017, 10:20pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Agreed -- aside from maybe the Lewisham show, I'd also prefer a Meskie release over more Clash. I love the Meskies.

I think the Mescaleros could have had more success under a different set of circumstances. As much as Joe thought Hellcat was the right place for him at the time, I'm not really sure I can agree with that in retrospect. I was a teen in the early 2000s and was huge into all the Hellcat bands, went to all the shows, etc. It was a young scene. Most of my friends didn't "get" the Clash at that point. Rancid was our Clash. The Clash (even the debut) sounded too slow, too old fashioned.

I only knew one other kid at the time that dug the Mescaleros during Joe's lifetime, and even he couldn't get into Global. Joe was just too far out there to reach the audience Hellcat's marketing dollars were aiming for. He really should have been on a major that could have honed in on a more appropriate target demo, or some lame ass adult contemporary label or something.
Speaking of the Meskies does anyone know what is happening with The Hours. Its been about nine years since they outputted anything.

threecoffins
Sasquatch Determinator

Post by threecoffins »

msza2 wrote:
02 Apr 2017, 10:20pm
Low Down Low wrote:

I agree, although everything I've read seem to point to Hellcat being the only company at the time who would take the Meskies under any humane terms. If anything, Anti Records would do a better job with an anthology. They're semi-affiliated with Hellcat via Epitaph Recs and put out stuff like Tom Waits and Wilco.