NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Low Down Low
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1480
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 9:08am

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by Low Down Low » 31 Aug 2018, 7:01pm

Wolter wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 6:29pm
msza2 wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 5:58pm
Walker > Permanent Record
And it has about as much music actually written by Joe in its entirely as Permanent record does.
On little or no evidence I’m willing to give Joe more credit for composition on Walker than most. I think he knocked out those tunes on his little “pianer” before Schloss and the others put flesh on them in the studio.

msza2
Bang Ice Geezer
Posts: 207
Joined: 22 Aug 2012, 2:15pm

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by msza2 » 01 Sep 2018, 11:36am

Low Down Low wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 7:01pm
Wolter wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 6:29pm
msza2 wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 5:58pm
Walker > Permanent Record
And it has about as much music actually written by Joe in its entirely as Permanent record does.
On little or no evidence I’m willing to give Joe more credit for composition on Walker than most. I think he knocked out those tunes on his little “pianer” before Schloss and the others put flesh on them in the studio.
I tend to agree. I think he provided the starting point for all the songs. It's as much a Joe album as any of the Meskies albums IMO.

deny
Junco Partner
Posts: 353
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:20pm

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by deny » 01 Sep 2018, 3:37pm

Wolter wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 6:29pm
msza2 wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 5:58pm
Walker > Permanent Record
And it has about as much music actually written by Joe in its entirely as Permanent record does.
From what i have read I'm inclined to agree with this.
Joining the Street Parade

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 28017
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by Heston » 01 Sep 2018, 9:01pm

deny wrote:
01 Sep 2018, 3:37pm
Wolter wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 6:29pm
msza2 wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 5:58pm
Walker > Permanent Record
And it has about as much music actually written by Joe in its entirely as Permanent record does.
From what i have read I'm inclined to agree with this.
I remember a review which said every note on Walker had been written by Joe. I think it was referenced in the first "Last Gang in Town" book by Marcus Gray.
I just polished off some Low Country shrimp & grits and a mess of collards. That's a hell of a strain on the arm.

deny
Junco Partner
Posts: 353
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:20pm

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by deny » 01 Sep 2018, 9:25pm

Heston wrote:
01 Sep 2018, 9:01pm
deny wrote:
01 Sep 2018, 3:37pm
Wolter wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 6:29pm
msza2 wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 5:58pm
Walker > Permanent Record
And it has about as much music actually written by Joe in its entirely as Permanent record does.
From what i have read I'm inclined to agree with this.
I remember a review which said every note on Walker had been written by Joe. I think it was referenced in the first "Last Gang in Town" book by Marcus Gray.
I remember reading (shall find the source) that he left the band with a casio tape recording & fucked off on a bender
Joining the Street Parade

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 28017
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by Heston » 01 Sep 2018, 9:36pm

deny wrote:
01 Sep 2018, 9:25pm
Heston wrote:
01 Sep 2018, 9:01pm
deny wrote:
01 Sep 2018, 3:37pm
Wolter wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 6:29pm
msza2 wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 5:58pm
Walker > Permanent Record
And it has about as much music actually written by Joe in its entirely as Permanent record does.
From what i have read I'm inclined to agree with this.
I remember a review which said every note on Walker had been written by Joe. I think it was referenced in the first "Last Gang in Town" book by Marcus Gray.
I remember reading (shall find the source) that he left the band with a casio tape recording & fucked off on a bender
Hey. that Casio tape might have contained all the notes.
I just polished off some Low Country shrimp & grits and a mess of collards. That's a hell of a strain on the arm.

Low Down Low
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1480
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 9:08am

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by Low Down Low » 01 Sep 2018, 9:52pm

I don’t think anyone’s disputing the fact he wasn’t there for many or most of the sessions. Don’t think he had the self belief to mix it with a load of musos at that point in his life. But he left clear instructions each day, had a vision of what he wanted the record to sound like and trusted the musicians to articulate it. He wrote those songs, if in rudimentary fashion. Its his music. Least as far as I’m concerned anyway.

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 50582
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by Wolter » 01 Sep 2018, 11:48pm

(Y’all: I put “in it’s entirety” there for a reason)
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 26167
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by Flex » 02 Sep 2018, 12:15pm

Wolter wrote:
01 Sep 2018, 11:48pm
(Y’all: I put “in it’s entirety” there for a reason)
YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DID
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 50582
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by Wolter » 02 Sep 2018, 12:29pm

Flex wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 12:15pm
Wolter wrote:
01 Sep 2018, 11:48pm
(Y’all: I put “in it’s entirety” there for a reason)
YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DID
Yes. Yes I do.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 50582
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by Wolter » 02 Sep 2018, 12:30pm

I also know that my fucking autocorrect has no idea how to understand when I intend to use the possessive of “it.”
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Inder
User avatar
corecore vanguard
Posts: 8889
Joined: 14 Jun 2008, 3:28pm

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by Inder » 02 Sep 2018, 1:20pm

It's a well-known fact that Wolter doesn't write any of his own posts. :shifty:

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 50582
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by Wolter » 02 Sep 2018, 1:36pm

Inder wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 1:20pm
It's a well-known fact that Wolter doesn't write any of his own posts. :shifty:
I mostly farm my posts out to an outsourcing company operating in Sri Lanka.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 38288
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by Marky Dread » 02 Sep 2018, 1:43pm

Heston wrote:
01 Sep 2018, 9:36pm
deny wrote:
01 Sep 2018, 9:25pm
Heston wrote:
01 Sep 2018, 9:01pm
deny wrote:
01 Sep 2018, 3:37pm
Wolter wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 6:29pm


From what i have read I'm inclined to agree with this.
I remember a review which said every note on Walker had been written by Joe. I think it was referenced in the first "Last Gang in Town" book by Marcus Gray.
I remember reading (shall find the source) that he left the band with a casio tape recording & fucked off on a bender
Hey. that Casio tape might have contained all the notes.
:lol: spits tea all down his Fred Perry!
Image

laxman
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1741
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 6:05pm

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by laxman » 02 Sep 2018, 5:43pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/m00009bj

BBC Radio 6 this morning. Lucinda Tait being interviewed by Cerys Matthews, from about the 1 hour 32 minutes mark.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests