NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 6:12pm
Wolter wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 5:14pm
Marky Dread wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 5:12pm
Heston wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 5:08pm
It's a fucking great drum sound and I love that fill by Pete at 3:09.
The overall sound with echo is brilliant. Now imagine the rest of CtC sounding like that with that production. It would've been great. A great stripped back sound should've been the way ahead. It beggars belief the cold turd we ended up with.
Seriously. That sound, but with some even half decent leads? Damn solid album.
I gotta say, I was never too fond of Nick's leads on the live versions. They always seemed a bit cheesy.

Anyone fb friends with Pete? I'd love to hear the story behind this recording. Was it pre-Nick? Were other songs recorded?
It was recorded in August 1983 and must have been undertaken immediately after Mick left, as he was sacked in mid to late August. Or maybe it was recorded when he was absent?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Wolter wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 5:34pm
Heston wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 5:32pm
I still don't know why they're not just calling it The Clash rather than Strummer, Simonon and Howard, it's bemusing.

Also, I wish Mick could have partook in a bit Free As a Bird-style tinkering on this one. It would have certainly gave the album a lot of publicity, and filled out the sound.
I would love that but I doubt Mick would even consider it.
No one asked him.

Heston

Post by Heston »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 6:55pm
Wolter wrote:
Heston wrote:
I still don't know why they're not just calling it The Clash rather than Strummer, Simonon and Howard, it's bemusing.

Also, I wish Mick could have partook in a bit Free As a Bird-style tinkering on this one. It would have certainly gave the album a lot of publicity, and filled out the sound.
No one asked him.
Do you think he would have considered it, Teddy?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Heston wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 7:02pm
24 Sep 2018, 6:55pm
Wolter wrote:
Heston wrote:

No one asked him.
Do you think he would have considered it, Teddy?
I don't know that he would have agreed to overdubs, but I think he would have considered mixing. Pretty apparent why This is England got "rocked up" for CTC. Part of the whole back to punk sort of idea they were pitching.

Carpentologist
Dirty Punk

Post by Carpentologist »

Come on man, it’s 2018, anything goes...if a group of Bowie’s musicians can redux Never Let Me Down then we can still hope that Mick, Paul and Topper could be given the CTC tapes and be able to go in and produce something worthy of sitting alongside the rest of the Clash oeuvre?!
There is the risk that it could be all “Threetles-y” and lame but these guys are The Clash!!! If anybody could make something cool, it’s the coolest motherfuckers on the planet?!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Carpentologist wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 2:59am
Come on man, it’s 2018, anything goes...if a group of Bowie’s musicians can redux Never Let Me Down then we can still hope that Mick, Paul and Topper could be given the CTC tapes and be able to go in and produce something worthy of sitting alongside the rest of the Clash oeuvre?!
There is the risk that it could be all “Threetles-y” and lame but these guys are The Clash!!! If anybody could make something cool, it’s the coolest motherfuckers on the planet?!
Well yes but do those CtC tapes exist? Also pretty unfair on Pete, Nick & Vince writing them out of history especially when they were not allowed to barely contribute to the album in the first place.

My ideal situation would be to have Paul, Pete, Nick & Vince play the parts they were supposed to with Mick the producer.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 5:21am
Carpentologist wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 2:59am
Well yes but do those CtC tapes exist? Also pretty unfair on Pete, Nick & Vince writing them out of history especially when they were not allowed to barely contribute to the album in the first place.

My ideal situation would be to have Paul, Pete, Nick & Vince play the parts they were supposed to with Mick the producer.
Yeah, I'm not sure a remake of the whole album would be viable for reasons you've mentioned but a one off of Mick adding parts to Where Is England would have been great. The line up would then be the same as the one that played the US Festival, so no egos bruised.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Is this all an 'authentic' vintage recording, or has it been tinkered with in any way - not by Mick of course but someone else with friendly connections in the Joe camp? Post-produced and polished, extra guitar, etc?
I like it, whatever the recording story is.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Heston

Post by Heston »

JohnS wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 6:33am
Is this all an 'authentic' vintage recording, or has it been tinkered with in any way - not by Mick of course but someone else with friendly connections in the Joe camp? Post-produced and polished, extra guitar, etc?
I think some mastering whizkid restored the tapes, can't recall his name offhand. It will obviously have been cleaned up but I very much doubt anything was added, it is very sparse as it is, drums, bass and Joe's guitar.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

laxman wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 8:17am
Really good.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Heston wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 6:53am
JohnS wrote:
I think some mastering whizkid restored the tapes, can't recall his name offhand. It will obviously have been cleaned up but I very much doubt anything was added, it is very sparse as it is, drums, bass and Joe's guitar.
Peter Moore. Restored, remixed and remastered.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

25 Sep 2018, 4:51pm
Heston wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 6:53am
JohnS wrote:
Peter Moore. Restored, remixed and remastered.
Bewitched, bothered and bewildered.

sonnyburnit
Junco Partner

Post by sonnyburnit »

Forget fuckin cut the crap, i’d much rather hear the stuff joe & mick were messing about with before joe passed somehow worked into something tangible.

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

sonnyburnit wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 8:06pm
Forget fuckin cut the crap, i’d much rather hear the stuff joe & mick were messing about with before joe passed somehow worked into something tangible.
Yup.

Carpentologist
Dirty Punk

Post by Carpentologist »

msza2 wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 8:58pm
sonnyburnit wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 8:06pm
Yup.
Yeah, I know it’s a forlorn hope that anything will ever come from hoping for a CTC redux!

It’s just frustrating...between the actual release, the Out Of Control demos, live versions and this new demo, there is a really good record! Only having poor quality recordings of tracks like This Is England, Three Card Trick, Are You Ready?, North and South, Pouring Rain, Jericho, Glue Zombie etc is a bummer!