NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by Heston »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
27 Aug 2018, 6:58pm
Maybe O.T., but I had to pass it along. I was in New York this week with a Clash inner-circle person who shall go nameless. We were talking about the yearly Strummer tribute from Jesse Malin and company (this past Saturday), and the continuing deification of Joe, and they just blurted out, "that little prick -- if only they knew." I found it funny. I probably won't tell the story to Mick, who would say "awww...." and be defensive of Joe.

I heard another story in NY from a former GF of Paul's. She was with him and Joe after "Sandinista" and they were trashing Mick with the Elizabeth Taylor stuff, and their schemes, and she said "isn't it Mick's band?", and Joe answered "not anymore." Sounds like the stuff Terry Chimes was hearing.

Rock bands, huh?
I hate that deification of Joe, those Facebook posters with some stoned cod philosophy attached. His best words were always in his lyrics, not those silly soul-searching late-80s interviews.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 8:54pm
Maybe O.T., but I had to pass it along. I was in New York this week with a Clash inner-circle person who shall go nameless. We were talking about the yearly Strummer tribute from Jesse Malin and company (this past Saturday), and the continuing deification of Joe, and they just blurted out, "that little prick -- if only they knew." I found it funny. I probably won't tell the story to Mick, who would say "awww...." and be defensive of Joe.

I heard another story in NY from a former GF of Paul's. She was with him and Joe after "Sandinista" and they were trashing Mick with the Elizabeth Taylor stuff, and their schemes, and she said "isn't it Mick's band?", and Joe answered "not anymore." Sounds like the stuff Terry Chimes was hearing.

Rock bands, huh?
I hate that deification of Joe, those Facebook posters with some stoned cod philosophy attached. His best words were always in his lyrics, not those silly soul-searching late-80s interviews.
Almost all of the sanctimonious meatheads who have graced this board and then left in a huff have been those smug WWJD types. A flawed and contradictory guy, it's those human failings bound up in a desire that we all be better people are Joe's enduring appeal. The best role models should also be cautionary tales.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 8:47pm
Flex wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 8:28pm
matedog wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 1:23pm
Nothing wrong with it and I prefer to have that in my life as well. Just basically bragging about how cool and diverse your neighborhood is is pretty lame. I roll my eyes when people do it in real life and I roll my eyes when joe does it.

Eh, I think the recent political climate has made me a lot more receptive towards sincere, earnest appreciation of diversity - even if it comes off as a little braggy or on the nose. A much more affirming attitude than the alternative.
Hestex
We're not talking Notting Hill, Islington or some other yuppie area this is Kilburn High Road which has always been home to the immigrant.

KHR used to be very Irish and there was one huge pub / club which turned into an Aussie bar. That was probably where the Kiwi was going when he bumped into Joe.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 9:47pm
Heston wrote:
Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:
Nothing wrong with it and I prefer to have that in my life as well. Just basically bragging about how cool and diverse your neighborhood is is pretty lame. I roll my eyes when people do it in real life and I roll my eyes when joe does it.

Eh, I think the recent political climate has made me a lot more receptive towards sincere, earnest appreciation of diversity - even if it comes off as a little braggy or on the nose. A much more affirming attitude than the alternative.
Hestex
We're not talking Notting Hill, Islington or some other yuppie area this is Kilburn High Road which has always been home to the immigrant.

KHR used to be very Irish and there was one huge pub / club which turned into an Aussie bar. That was probably where the Kiwi was going when he bumped into Joe.
The National?

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Heston wrote:

Rock bands, huh?
“Raise a toast to Saint Joe Strummer.”

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:
29 Aug 2018, 12:43am
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:

Hestex

The National?
Biddy Mulligans.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Silent Majority wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 12:52pm
matedog wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 10:36am
101Walterton wrote:
27 Aug 2018, 9:21pm
Gutted there is no Bhindi Bhagee, Joe’s best post Clash song.
Hate that song. We get it, you think your area is so cool because it's soooo diverse. And your music is soooo eclectic.
You could respond to literally any song like that. "We get it, she loves me, yeah, yeah, yeah." "Sure you wanna know how I feel to be on my own like a complete unknown. Whatever.
:lol:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 9:19pm
Heston wrote:

Rock bands, huh?
Almost all of the sanctimonious meatheads who have graced this board and then left in a huff have been those smug WWJD types. A flawed and contradictory guy, it's those human failings bound up in a desire that we all be better people are Joe's enduring appeal. The best role models should also be cautionary tales.
Oh god, you are so right. Remember when Clashy told us all how Joe would have been on the streets protesting (in a warm climate, of course)? Too funny.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
29 Aug 2018, 9:44am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

Rock bands, huh?
Oh god, you are so right. Remember when Clashy told us all how Joe would have been on the streets protesting (in a warm climate, of course)? Too funny.
I wonder if Clashy is working in the White House these days …

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Aug 2018, 10:27am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

Rock bands, huh?
He was definitely at Charlottesville.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
29 Aug 2018, 12:57am
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
Flex wrote:

Hestex

The National?
Biddy Mulligans.
I sank a few there back in the day. I also remember about it being bombed in '75 by the UDF.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
29 Aug 2018, 11:56am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

Among other things, refusing to eat at KFC.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Aug 2018, 12:09pm
JennyB wrote:
29 Aug 2018, 11:56am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Among other things, refusing to eat at KFC.
Oh god, I forgot about that. Classic.
Got a Rake? Sure!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Aug 2018, 11:58am
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:

Hestex

The National?
Biddy Mulligans.
I sank a few there back in the day. I also remember about it being bombed in '75 by the UDF.
That's the one. They used to come around with a collection tin at closing time and everyone stood up and they played that IRA anthem.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
29 Aug 2018, 6:10pm
Marky Dread wrote:
29 Aug 2018, 11:58am
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

The National?
Biddy Mulligans.
That's the one. They used to come around with a collection tin at closing time and everyone stood up and they played that IRA anthem.
Fuck that ira shit. I would have spent a few hard drinking years around the London Irish pub scene, though more Archway/Holloway Rd area than Kilburn or Camden. I’d have some nostalgia for it but it was rough too, met a lot of guys who had come over in the 50s or 60s, hadn’t much to show for decades of toil and were broken and embittered by it. Sad scene in a lot of ways but that era has well passed by now I think.