NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 10:18am
101Walterton wrote:
27 Aug 2018, 9:21pm
Gutted there is no Bhindi Bhagee, Joe’s best post Clash song.
I'm more interested in the unreleased stuff really. That snippet of Where Is England sounds great.
Same here.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 12:59pm
matedog wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 10:36am
101Walterton wrote:
Hate that song. We get it, you think your area is so cool because it's soooo diverse. And your music is soooo eclectic.
What's so wrong with diversity and eclecticism. I think you are missing the point of the song for all the great mix the area has it can't cater for everyone as there are no "Mushy Peas".

Fine song.
Nothing wrong with it and I prefer to have that in my life as well. Just basically bragging about how cool and diverse your neighborhood is is pretty lame. I roll my eyes when people do it in real life and I roll my eyes when joe does it.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 1:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Hate that song. We get it, you think your area is so cool because it's soooo diverse. And your music is soooo eclectic.
What's so wrong with diversity and eclecticism. I think you are missing the point of the song for all the great mix the area has it can't cater for everyone as there are no "Mushy Peas".

Fine song.
Nothing wrong with it and I prefer to have that in my life as well. Just basically bragging about how cool and diverse your neighborhood is is pretty lame. I roll my eyes when people do it in real life and I roll my eyes when joe does it.
I think it's great to be proud of your area if your area works for all that are living in it. It's a celebration of life song and saying there is room for everyone. All are welcome.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revolutionrock_
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by revolutionrock_ »

"Fucking long, innit?"

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Fine song.
It’s not actually Joes own neighborhood if that makes any difference, just where the album sessions happened to be taking place.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Fine song.
I’ve never considered it as bragging (although agree with other posts nothing wrong even it was).
The fact that the visitor is from the colonies is significant as he arrives looking for traditional England his parents left. It is as if he is going back to find his roots but England has changed and Joe is saying that through the food and music.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 3:11pm
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Fine song.
It’s not actually Joes own neighborhood if that makes any difference, just where the album sessions happened to be taking place.
Hence Willesden to Cricklewood. It is very close to Walterton Road so no doubt Joe would have frequented in his squatting days.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 3:13pm
Low Down Low wrote:
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:

Fine song.
Hence Willesden to Cricklewood. It is very close to Walterton Road so no doubt Joe would have frequented in his squatting days.
It’s not a million miles but “very close”? Would you walk it or take a cab? I’m thinking 3 miles or thereabouts but my geography could be off a bit.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 3:18pm
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Fine song.
It’s not a million miles but “very close”? Would you walk it or take a cab? I’m thinking 3 miles or thereabouts but my geography could be off a bit.
Less than a mile certainly walking distance. Not that squatters used cabs but no cab would stop around there back in those days anyway 😉

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 3:36pm
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
matedog wrote:

Less than a mile certainly walking distance. Not that squatters used cabs but no cab would stop around there back in those days anyway 😉
Ah there you go, told you my geography is a bit on the wonky side. Probably confusing it with Harlseden where we used to go for the Mean Fiddler.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 4:03pm
101Walterton wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 3:36pm
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Ah there you go, told you my geography is a bit on the wonky side. Probably confusing it with Harlseden where we used to go for the Mean Fiddler.
Yep bit further, up the Harrow Road. Used to wake up on the Stonebridge Estate in Harlesden after getting N18 bus from T Square. Not great as definitely no cab would stop there.

Slickgonzalez
Dirty Punk

Post by Slickgonzalez »

The mix on Rose of Erin leaves a lot to be desired... His vox seem pretty low.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:

Eh, I think the recent political climate has made me a lot more receptive towards sincere, earnest appreciation of diversity - even if it comes off as a little braggy or on the nose. A much more affirming attitude than the alternative.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Tangentially related, a colleague of the Boss related an amusing/eye-rolling story. He was at some cocktail party or some such and met a neighbour from his distinctly upper middle-class neighbourhood. The colleague is an urban geographer and his neighbour swooned about how wonderfully diverse their neighbourhood was. Oh? he asked, eyebrow firmly arched. Oh yes, she replied, there are lawyers and doctors and senior civil servants—just all kinds of people! It sounds like a bad joke and yet I don't doubt it one iota.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Flex wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 8:28pm
matedog wrote:

Eh, I think the recent political climate has made me a lot more receptive towards sincere, earnest appreciation of diversity - even if it comes off as a little braggy or on the nose. A much more affirming attitude than the alternative.
Hestex
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board