NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
JoeRoberts
User avatar
Corner Soul
Posts: 15
Joined: 13 Jun 2013, 5:47pm

NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by JoeRoberts » 10 Mar 2016, 3:05pm

http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/8402

Image


Next month Legacy will release this special edition 12" single, released in collaboration with the Strummer estate. Limited to 4,000 copies.

SIDE A
1. Gangsterville
2. Punk Rock Blues
SIDE B
3. Sleepwalk
4. Cholo Vest

http://www.repubblica.it/spettacoli/mus ... refresh_ce Here they say that the single will be followed by a new anthology... :D
[b]BRUCE IS NOT ON AN EGO TRIP… BRUCE IS ACTUALLY INTO THE MUSIC… WE NEED PEOPLE LIKE THIS… A LOT OF RECORDS TODAY ARE MADE BY PEOPLE JUST TO FEED THEIR FAME. BRUCE IS GREAT… THERE AINT NO WHINGING WHINING OR COMPLAINING.. THERE’S ONLY GREAT MUSIC, LYRICS & AN OCEAN OF TALENT. ME? I LOVE SPRINGSTEEN!!![/b]
Joe Strummer

msza2
Bang Ice Geezer
Posts: 169
Joined: 22 Aug 2012, 2:15pm

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by msza2 » 10 Mar 2016, 5:21pm

Woah, this could be huge!

Thanks for sharing.

Jimmy Jazz
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1490
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 6:40pm

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by Jimmy Jazz » 11 Mar 2016, 12:06am

When I saw this post was about the RSD single I thought the title was sarcastic. Can't wait to see what the anthology is going to be.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1346
Joined: 07 Jul 2008, 7:56am
Location: Dundee Scotland

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by dave202 » 11 Mar 2016, 12:12pm

Will a Legacy compilation just stick to that era? I'd like something which straddles his solo years completely, with Mescaleros material and some 'wilderness years' material too. It would be good to have Ishen on a proper album.

Chuck Mangione
User avatar
Spitting Image
Posts: 6533
Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 10:45pm
Location: Up your boulevard.
Contact:

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by Chuck Mangione » 13 Mar 2016, 3:54am

It would be super magnificent if we could get this and the Hellcat release sometime before Dec. 22nd. 2017, 15 years after the event of his death.

msza2
Bang Ice Geezer
Posts: 169
Joined: 22 Aug 2012, 2:15pm

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by msza2 » 13 Mar 2016, 12:34pm

Chuck Mangione wrote:It would be super magnificent if we could get this and the Hellcat release sometime before Dec. 22nd. 2017, 15 years after the event of his death.
There's a Hellcat release in the works?

Chuck Mangione
User avatar
Spitting Image
Posts: 6533
Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 10:45pm
Location: Up your boulevard.
Contact:

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by Chuck Mangione » 13 Mar 2016, 5:37pm

msza2 wrote:
Chuck Mangione wrote:It would be super magnificent if we could get this and the Hellcat release sometime before Dec. 22nd. 2017, 15 years after the event of his death.
There's a Hellcat release in the works?
Possibly, but most think it was the recent digital one with "Time and the Tide" released on it; Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros: The Hellcat Years. I have a theory Lucinda acted to switch this oncoming anthology from Hellcat to Legacy.

msza2
Bang Ice Geezer
Posts: 169
Joined: 22 Aug 2012, 2:15pm

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by msza2 » 13 Mar 2016, 5:53pm

Ah, gotcha.

If she did orchestrate the switch, it will probably benefit all parties. A major label release could drum up some interest in the Mescaleros catalogue. Not sure how well The Hellcat Years did, but it seemed to pass by with a whimper for the most part.

Chuck Mangione
User avatar
Spitting Image
Posts: 6533
Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 10:45pm
Location: Up your boulevard.
Contact:

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by Chuck Mangione » 13 Mar 2016, 5:57pm

msza2 wrote:Ah, gotcha.

If she did orchestrate the switch, it will probably benefit all parties. A major label release could drum up some interest in the Mescaleros catalogue. Not sure how well The Hellcat Years did, but it seemed to pass by with a whimper for the most part.
Yes. It would be fantastic to have this be a Meskys release for the most part. I don't see Earthquake Weather or even Walker having much more subtext than what was offered.

msza2
Bang Ice Geezer
Posts: 169
Joined: 22 Aug 2012, 2:15pm

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by msza2 » 13 Mar 2016, 6:41pm

I can't imagine it will be mostly Meskies based on the 12" tracklist, but I would hope it at least has a song from each album. X-Ray Style, Johnny Appleseed, Coma Girl, or something.

But who knows, if Luce put the clampdown on the Hellcat release then maybe there are still some unreleased Meskies gems out there. I'd love to hear more from the Streetcore sessions, even just instrumentals. At least it would give us insight into their true vision for the album.

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49234
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by Wolter » 13 Mar 2016, 7:51pm

Maybe it's just that I have the official studio releases of the Mescaleros stuff, but I'd much rather have high quality versions of some of the wilderness years stuff that I've mostly collected via downloads.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71105
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 13 Mar 2016, 7:54pm

Wolter wrote:Maybe it's just that I have the official studio releases of the Mescaleros stuff, but I'd much rather have high quality versions of some of the wilderness years stuff that I've mostly collected via downloads.
So, one vote for an entire album devoted to the recording of "Boogie With Your Children."
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49234
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by Wolter » 13 Mar 2016, 10:51pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:Maybe it's just that I have the official studio releases of the Mescaleros stuff, but I'd much rather have high quality versions of some of the wilderness years stuff that I've mostly collected via downloads.
So, one vote for an entire album devoted to the recording of "Boogie With Your Children."
Not even in jest.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14807
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by 101Walterton » 14 Mar 2016, 2:07am

Going by that 12" I would suspect it was going to be EW or solo stuff / Widerness Years as opposed to Meskies?

johnny2bad
Corner Soul
Posts: 19
Joined: 04 Jul 2008, 6:21am

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by johnny2bad » 14 Mar 2016, 12:41pm

don't know why but (with all the due respect) i'd feel much much safer if the management of any joe's related stuff would be run by gaby instead of luce...

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest