Joe could have produced Morrissey's Maladjusted...

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
lanini66
Dirty Punk

Joe could have produced Morrissey's Maladjusted...

Post by lanini66 »

You never stop to learn... From the liner notes of the remastered edition of "Maladjusted" by the Salford finest himself, I learned that joe offered to produce the 1997 output of the Moz via the guitarist Boz Boorer. Morrissey seemed delighted but perplexed of the chain smoking attitude of the ex clash in the studio: "you can't have fire without smoke, Stephen...". The Morrissey's muse Linder (ex Ludus) vetoed the "marriage" and Moz called steve lillywhite instead...

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Joe could have produced Morrissey's Maladjusted...

Post by Low Down Low »

lanini66 wrote:You never stop to learn... From the liner notes of the remastered edition of "Maladjusted" by the Salford finest himself, I learned that joe offered to produce the 1997 output of the Moz via the guitarist Boz Boorer. Morrissey seemed delighted but perplexed of the chain smoking attitude of the ex clash in the studio: "you can't have fire without smoke, Stephen...". The Morrissey's muse Linder (ex Ludus) vetoed the "marriage" and Moz called steve lillywhite instead...
Noooo....say it ain't so Joe!! Weird and very interesting story....a wonder that one was ever able to slip through the ether!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Coincidentally, that was when I got off the Morrissey train. Really dull album, silly lyrics, except for the ones about losing the court case to Mike Joyce—those ones were petty and threatening.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dirty Harry
Junco Partner

Post by Dirty Harry »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Coincidentally, that was when I got off the Morrissey train. Really dull album, silly lyrics, except for the ones about losing the court case to Mike Joyce—those ones were petty and threatening.
I remember those hilarious lyrics to 'Roy's Keen'
Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, "Listen, mate, "life" has surface noise."

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dirty Harry wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Coincidentally, that was when I got off the Morrissey train. Really dull album, silly lyrics, except for the ones about losing the court case to Mike Joyce—those ones were petty and threatening.
Roy Keane is magic
He wears a magic hat
And when he saw Old Trafford
He said I fancy that....

Is that the one?

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

So while still recovering from the shock of learning the coolest guy in rock almost worked with the biggest doofus, I had to do a bit of detective work and found this rather amusing version of the story from Joe, who suggests, very plausibly, rather than "offer" his services, the impetus was the other way round. I figure knowing my rather weak constitution was the reason Salewicz ignored this for the biography.

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/articles/ ... 2203.shtml

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:So while still recovering from the shock of learning the coolest guy in rock almost worked with the biggest doofus, I had to do a bit of detective work and found this rather amusing version of the story from Joe, who suggests, very plausibly, rather than "offer" his services, the impetus was the other way round. I figure knowing my rather weak constitution was the reason Salewicz ignored this for the biography.

He wanted to cover “Can’t Explain,” that was part of the initial phone message. And I tried to imagine Morrissey singing “Got a feelin’ inside…” And I thought this was a stupid idea! … Because the idea of trying to redo “Can’t Explain”—I couldn’t see the point of it.
:lol:
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
He wanted to cover “Can’t Explain,” that was part of the initial phone message. And I tried to imagine Morrissey singing “Got a feelin’ inside…” And I thought this was a stupid idea! … Because the idea of trying to redo “Can’t Explain”—I couldn’t see the point of it.
:lol:
Hoho.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Dirty Harry wrote:
I don't think Morrissey likes Roy's Keen himself. He left it off the re-issue mentioned in the original post.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Low Down Low wrote:So while still recovering from the shock of learning the coolest guy in rock almost worked with the biggest doofus, I had to do a bit of detective work and found this rather amusing version of the story from Joe, who suggests, very plausibly, rather than "offer" his services, the impetus was the other way round. I figure knowing my rather weak constitution was the reason Salewicz ignored this for the biography.

Not sure either account is correct. The tour with Bowie was in 1995 and Maladjusted wasn't recorded until 1997

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

oliver wrote:

Not sure either account is correct. The tour with Bowie was in 1995 and Maladjusted wasn't recorded until 1997
You could well be right, truth in these instances is normally somewhere down the middle. I read another comment where after the Bowie gigs, Joe supposedly met Moz and demanded a massive fee for the production. Sounds crap but you never know. I guess what I like about Joe's version is he's having a laugh about it, not taking it seriously, and that's pretty much the later Joe, at peace with himself finally, humble and not professing he's going to change the world anymore. And poor ageing Morrissey still can't do humble or any kind of irony or else I'm completely missing it and the joke's on me :question:

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Low Down Low wrote:And poor ageing Morrissey still can't do humble or any kind of irony or else I'm completely missing it and the joke's on me :question:
He can do self-deprecation wonderfully though. My favourite lines from Autobiograpy:
"Naturally my birth almost kills my mother, for my head is too big, but soon it is I, and not my mother, on the critical list at Salford's Pendlebury Hospital ... Once I am discharged from hospital, my sister Jackie, older by two years, is interrupted four times as she attempts to kill me, whether this be rivalry or visionary no one knows."

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

oliver wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:And poor ageing Morrissey still can't do humble or any kind of irony or else I'm completely missing it and the joke's on me :question:
He can do self-deprecation wonderfully though. My favourite lines from Autobiograpy:
"Naturally my birth almost kills my mother, for my head is too big, but soon it is I, and not my mother, on the critical list at Salford's Pendlebury Hospital ... Once I am discharged from hospital, my sister Jackie, older by two years, is interrupted four times as she attempts to kill me, whether this be rivalry or visionary no one knows."
That's quite funny.

lanini66
Dirty Punk

Post by lanini66 »

ahahahaha. Joe and Moz are two well known liars... Who knows?. Morrissey is aware thar even if Joe would have produced Maladjusted, it would have been a mere footnote in strummer's CV....

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Morrissey does have a wicked sense of humour. Oh the irony.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia