Earthquake Weather retrospective

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Earthquake Weather retrospective

Post by white man »

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Earthquake Weather retrospective

Post by Low Down Low »

I love EW so was good to read that even if I'd nitpick one or two of the assertions. Not least the dissing of Sikorsky Parts and Dizzys Goatee which, along with Island Hopping, are my favorite on the album.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Thanks for the link white man; an interesting read, which has made me want to go and listen to it again - and some new info, to me anyway - e.g.. 'Sleepwalk' was written with Frank Sinatra in mind!?
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Had to check whether that 7000 figure was just UK alone but no, it's world wide! I bought 2 copies on cassette and vinyl as well as the nice Island Hopping 12".

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:Had to check whether that 7000 figure was just UK alone but no, it's world wide! I bought 2 copies on cassette and vinyl as well as the nice Island Hopping 12".
Was the first album I bought on cassette. I think the only other one is The Madness.
I have since bought EW on CD as well as both Island Hopping and Gangsterville singles.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

No amount of reappraisal can save it for me. Couple of good moments but in the main, a dud. Expected much more of Joe at the time but it's mostly a garbled, incoherent mess.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I think it's a valid reappraisal to reflect on how low Joe was feeling at the time. Given what we learned after his death, it's actually amazing how he made any sort of record at all with his confidence all shot to pieces.

I wouldn't try and defend my liking of it. I just do, boogie and all. Same goes for walker.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:No amount of reappraisal can save it for me. Couple of good moments but in the main, a dud. Expected much more of Joe at the time but it's mostly a garbled, incoherent mess.
I have to agree. I don't think I have ever been as disappointed hearing a new album as I was when I listened to it the first time. It isn't just the strength of the songs it is the overall sound quality which I have always hated.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:No amount of reappraisal can save it for me. Couple of good moments but in the main, a dud. Expected much more of Joe at the time but it's mostly a garbled, incoherent mess.
I have to agree. I don't think I have ever been as disappointed hearing a new album as I was when I listened to it the first time. It isn't just the strength of the songs it is the overall sound quality which I have always hated.
Is there a weaker post-Clash album? Maybe TGTBTQ, but I can't say I've made an effort to listen to it.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Love this writeup. It sees that album the way I wish I could.

The review, of course, peppers over the biggest problem with album which is the production. I remain convinced a proper remix could turn it into, if not a masterpiece, at least a comfortably solid and well received album.

But yeah, some solid song sketches by Joe on that record. Only a couple real misfires.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I don't believe it only sold 7,000 copies. I bought it at Tower Records in Queensway and they had the whole store decked out in promo for the album and everyone seemed to be in the shop to buy to it. It so it wasn't as if it was a quiet release that no one heard about and slipped under the radar. I presume all Tower records in London had the same display so even if that album wasn't as good as anticipated they must have still sold a shedload.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

EW must have sold at least 100,000 copies, probably more, but took several years.

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

Always liked it a lot - 14 tracks was simply too much and it probably would have been better received as a 5 or 6 song per side album (comparable to the first side of Permanent Record) and without 2 or 3 of the weaker tracks.

I also consider it an impossibility that it sold only 7,000 copies. For what its worth, Joe is quoted in a March/88 issue of Melody Maker as saying Walker sold only 15,000 copies in "America" (he mentions this to indicate the total lack of commercial success of that album). My recollection (like 101) is that Walker was a chore to find and had no promo, while Earthquake Weather was readily available and had some level of promotion. It would certainly be interesting to know how the author arrived at this 7,000 number.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

It definitely didn't flop for lack of promotion anyway. I was based in Germany at the time and remember passing a record store with a huge EW poster in the window and practically soiling my pants with excitement. Also remember a full page interview in either NME or MM in which the last 2 lines were along the lines of "So what would you like people to say about this record?" And Joe's reply: "It's nae bad, Jimmy."

All the info in that article is sourced from Salewicz who in turn would have got it from Gerry Harrington. The 7000 figure does seem low but can't imagine why they'd purposely underplay it.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Cocaine hyperbole?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/