Strummer interview Trash City era

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
The Good Swede
Corner Soul

Strummer interview Trash City era

Post by The Good Swede »

Hi mates,
I haven't seen this before, MTV 120 minutes in NY interviewing Strummer around the time when Trash City was released.
[b]The Good Swede[/b] - retro inspired shirts with a rockabilly feeling
Mail: thegoodswede@warrenproductions.se
Web shop: http://www.thegoodswede.com
Blog: http://thegoodswede.tumblr.com

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Re: Strummer interview Trash City era

Post by Chuck Mangione »

The Good Swede wrote:Hi mates,
I haven't seen this before, MTV 120 minutes in NY interviewing Strummer around the time when Trash City was released.
[youtube][/youtube]
Nice! He has a pretty rare Railway Children 120 Minutes interview up too.'

Edit: fuck that! Ramones, Bad Brains, Husker Du, Banshees, John Lydon, Buzzcocks.. Shit.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Chuck Mangione wrote:
The Good Swede wrote:Hi mates,
[youtube][/youtube]
Nice! He has a pretty rare Railway Children 120 Minutes interview up too.'

Edit: fuck that! Ramones, Bad Brains, Husker Du, Banshees, John Lydon, Buzzcocks.. Shit.
Shame he's so fucking annoying.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

appleseed
Dirty Punk

Post by appleseed »

Thanks for sharing this. One random thought from watching this is that Strummer wasn't really political. The man simply could see himself in others and others in himself. With that ability to sympathize it's natural that he spoke against the things that obscure our common roots and upheld the things that unite us. These things are never on the ballot, and inherently can't be, so it's rather a shame that such elevated consciousness was often described as politics.

Of course, that is a kind of politics, but it's so much more as well. The guy was a poet.

But just a couple of years earlier Joe had a bleached-blonde mohawk and Bernie Rhodes had a clutch of puppet strings attached to his shoulders. With the humility that came from that inevitable fall, it's no wonder that Joe was a bit more subdued here.

Another random thing -- I love just about all of the music referenced on the show. Ye Gods. MTV actually played some more than decent music for a while.