Scottish independence?

Politics and other such topical creams.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Scottish independence?

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Okay, that helps me understand how you're describing a free market. That's much, much different than how free market is normally conceived of—i.e., the laissez faire capitalist sense. It's fine to redefine it that way, but it strikes me as a potential challenge to conversing with those not already familiar with the terms. Not only does it ask a person to question human relationships, but also to completely overhaul the meaning of free. But that's more a question of proselytization, I suppose.

edit: Proselytize may be the wrong word here, as it normally carries a negative connotation. Which wasn't my intent. I meant more in a teaching/persuading by argument kind of way and the challenges inherent in redefining words so significantly.
Yeah, I'm sort of ambivalent about whether to use the term "free market." I enjoy the turn of phrase that "free market anti-capitalist" creates, but it obviously leads to confusion. The defenders of the term point out that the result is often exactly what you describe and what happened here, it forces us to reconsider fundamental assumptions (your point) and it tends to lead to more conversation than a readily understood label (which is what we've been doing). I think it's worth considering that the goal of mutualists (and most flavors of anarchist) is specifically to get people to question human relationships and reconsider how they define terms like "free." So creating a discourse that challenges those assumptions may further that goal.

Or maybe it doesn't. I dunno. I think there's also merit to the idea that creating a confusing discourse can lead to alienation from those not conversant in it if you aren't very, very careful about helping bring folks along. I'm just summarizing what I recall of defenses of the term from others when challenged on the word usage and whether it helps or hurts. As I said, ultimately I'm fairly ambivalent on this one.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:Yeah, I'm sort of ambivalent about whether to use the term "free market." I enjoy the turn of phrase that "free market anti-capitalist" creates, but it obviously leads to confusion. The defenders of the term point out that the result is often exactly what you describe and what happened here, it forces us to reconsider fundamental assumptions (your point) and it tends to lead to more conversation than a readily understood label (which is what we've been doing). I think it's worth considering that the goal of mutualists (and most flavors of anarchist) is specifically to get people to question human relationships and reconsider how they define terms like "free." So creating a discourse that challenges those assumptions may further that goal.

Or maybe it doesn't. I dunno. I think there's also merit to the idea that creating a confusing discourse can lead to alienation from those not conversant in it if you aren't very, very careful about helping bring folks along. I'm just summarizing what I recall of defenses of the term from others when challenged on the word usage and whether it helps or hurts. As I said, ultimately I'm fairly ambivalent on this one.
I appreciate the kind of constructive confusion that can occur with the reconfiguration of "free market"—the potential for those light bulb moments—but I usually fall on the side that the function of language is to minimize confusion in communication. If a discussion requires all kinds of preliminaries to make sure everyone is on the page—worse, that it requires an initial rethink even in the prelims—I wonder whether it's time to look for a new and exclusive term. Just as an example with teaching, it's bad enough talking contemporary politics when the words liberal and conservative get employed, but when historical events also get injected and use those terms, it's a damned nightmare. Explaining that nineteenth-century liberal means something distinct from post-war liberal, which means something distinct from post-Vietnam liberal. And that's just liberal as a noun. (I'm more than a little dreading my lectures on those kinds of questions.) The mutualist use of free market as a teaching tactic strikes me as an all-or-nothing gambit. If it works, a lot of other reconfigured definitions fall into place and you can really move things forward; if it doesn't, the conversation is shanked. My guy goes against that approach, but I see its potential.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

The early votes are in:

[youtube][/youtube]

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Our hypothetical new flag with Scottish colours removed and Wales' added, I like it...

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

Heston wrote:Our hypothetical new flag with Scottish colours removed and Wales' added, I like it...

Needs a muckle great dragon on it, if yer having onnae appeal to yon youth.
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:Our hypothetical new flag with Scottish colours removed and Wales' added, I like it...

Get rid of the St Andrews cross.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I think the Scottish flag should have haggis on it. Haggis and Ewan McGregor.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

JennyB wrote:I think the Scottish flag should have haggis on it. Haggis and Ewan McGregor.
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

biopunk wrote:Image
JennyB wrote:I think the Scottish flag should have haggis on it. Haggis and Ewan McGregor.
I'd prefer maybe Trainspotting era Ewan, but that'll do, I suppose. :mrgreen:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

This is the best thing ever.
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

JoseUnidos wrote:
Needs more Strummercorns.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
JoseUnidos wrote:
Needs more Strummercorns.
They cannae afford my reproduction right fees.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Pshaw ... Don't you know that Wales is next jumping off your sinking ship? :mrgreen:
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Spiff wrote:

Pshaw ... Don't you know that Wales is next jumping off your sinking ship? :mrgreen:
Soon enough it will just be Ulster and England sitting in a tree...
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Wolter wrote:
Spiff wrote:

Soon enough it will just be Ulster and England sitting in a tree...
Yes they will never get rid of Ulster unfortunately.