Scottish independence?

Politics and other such topical creams.
muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Scottish independence?

Post by muppet hi fi »

Good thing? Bad thing? Neither here nor there thing?
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Re: Scottish independence?

Post by biopunk »

muppet hi fi wrote:Good thing? Bad thing? Neither here nor there thing?
Good thing? Maybe if it had happened 25 years ago. :(

Bad thing? Absolutely. Scotland exports people for a reason. :cry:

Neither here nor there thing? Dinnae talk daft! <clutches saltire to breast and spouts off lines from Hollywood films> :disshame:
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Bio - could you please elaborate a bit please? I posed this question on another music board and a nice guy from Philly started in on Northern Ireland. My point was maybe this sort of nationalism is out dated and potentially dangerous and not in the interests of average peeps. Palestine and Israel came up, naturally...
Anyway, are you an expat Jock? You seem to know your shit. I'd sincerely like to hear others' views on this, cause I really don't have a well formed opinion. I guess I think it's a bad idea in the 21st century...

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Not until we get those bootlegs.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

muppet hi fi wrote:Bio - could you please elaborate a bit please? I posed this question on another music board and a nice guy from Philly started in on Northern Ireland. My point was maybe this sort of nationalism is out dated and potentially dangerous and not in the interests of average peeps. Palestine and Israel came up, naturally...
Anyway, are you an expat Jock? You seem to know your shit. I'd sincerely like to hear others' views on this, cause I really don't have a well formed opinion. I guess I think it's a bad idea in the 21st century...
Sure, Muppet! I'm a first generation Canadian of Caithness & Glaswegian parentage who met at Edinburgh university and emigrated shortly after. Most of my Scottish-born cousins are now working and living in England. My recently on-the-fence, ex-army, uncle who lives in Inverness, is now pro-indy, but he's retired and has no kids, unlike the rest of my tribe...

I think off-shore oil development was where it was at for economic independence in the 80's, and would have filled any coffers an independent Scotland would have had at the time. They don't have much of that any more, neither do they have the money to pay for the ageing infrastructure of the power-plants in an independent Scotland. How they expect to attract industry without solid infrastructure is beyond me. I just don't see that as sustaining a gross national product. I also expect they'll need to make huge tax concessions to corporations as was done in Ireland, and then compete with Ireland. Difference is, no one will be bailing them out in 10 years, like Ireland was. Add an ageing population to support, and kiss any pretence of social stability away.

I've been thinking about the Protestant/Catholic thing lately ('Tis the season... :( ), and yeah, I can see that going off again, as there are still distinct Cath/Prod areas in the cities that will be competing for these imagined jobs that independence will magically allow for, and I don't see that history not repeating itself. The usual have/have-nots, city/rural, lowland/teuchter divides will still be there.

I probably feel the same way about the nationalism. I find the pro-side have some of the most ignorant, rah-rah, pie-in-the-sky arguments because they like to pretend they are somehow different than everybody else, and deserve better because they were born above some imaginary line. Kind of like the Québécois seperatistes here in Canada.

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

Heston wrote:Not until we get those bootlegs.
:D

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

The "sheep are ⅗ human" clause in the proposed constitution will tear the country apart. :ohboy:

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

For selfish reasons, like ease of holidaying, and potentially spending my entire forties stumbling around Govan, I'd like Scotland to stay in the United Kingdom. If the majority of the people who live there want self-determination, then I applaud any further dismantling of the moribund British empire.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Secession is wrong unless the gummint is taking your slaves.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Edmund Ruffin wrote:Secession is wrong unless the gummint is taking your slaves.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Edmund Ruffin wrote:Secession is wrong unless the gummint is taking your slaves.
You have to admit, he was one handsome fanatical racist.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
He looks like that suave grey haired business guy who always turned out to be the murderer in the TV movie of the week. You know the one I mean. I feel like his name was George or something.

edit: George Hamilton!
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Plus he had the commitment to blow his head off rather than accept the defeat of Southern independence (better yet, he fucked up the first time and immediately reloaded and got it right the second). Unlike pussies like Jeff Davis, who advocated reconciliation after the war.

edit: My recollection is that Eric Walther's book The Fire-Eaters is quite a decent account of the full and proper nuts of the pre-Confederacy.

And there's even a scanned copy available: http://bookfi.org/dl/1312642/f15083
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Plus he had the commitment to blow his head off rather than accept the defeat of Southern independence (better yet, he fucked up the first time and immediately reloaded and got it right the second). Unlike pussies like Jeff Davis, who advocated reconciliation after the war.

edit: My recollection is that Eric Walther's book The Fire-Eaters is quite a decent account of the full and proper nuts of the pre-Confederacy.

And there's even a scanned copy available: http://bookfi.org/dl/1312642/f15083
Sweeeeeeet.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

biopunk wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:Bio - could you please elaborate a bit please? I posed this question on another music board and a nice guy from Philly started in on Northern Ireland. My point was maybe this sort of nationalism is out dated and potentially dangerous and not in the interests of average peeps. Palestine and Israel came up, naturally...
Sure, Muppet! I'm a first generation Canadian of Caithness & Glaswegian parentage who met at Edinburgh university and emigrated shortly after. Most of my Scottish-born cousins are now working and living in England. My recently on-the-fence, ex-army, uncle who lives in Inverness, is now pro-indy, but he's retired and has no kids, unlike the rest of my tribe...

I think off-shore oil development was where it was at for economic independence in the 80's, and would have filled any coffers an independent Scotland would have had at the time. They don't have much of that any more, neither do they have the money to pay for the ageing infrastructure of the power-plants in an independent Scotland. How they expect to attract industry without solid infrastructure is beyond me. I just don't see that as sustaining a gross national product. I also expect they'll need to make huge tax concessions to corporations as was done in Ireland, and then compete with Ireland. Difference is, no one will be bailing them out in 10 years, like Ireland was. Add an ageing population to support, and kiss any pretence of social stability away.

I've been thinking about the Protestant/Catholic thing lately ('Tis the season... :( ), and yeah, I can see that going off again, as there are still distinct Cath/Prod areas in the cities that will be competing for these imagined jobs that independence will magically allow for, and I don't see that history not repeating itself. The usual have/have-nots, city/rural, lowland/teuchter divides will still be there.

I probably feel the same way about the nationalism. I find the pro-side have some of the most ignorant, rah-rah, pie-in-the-sky arguments because they like to pretend they are somehow different than everybody else, and deserve better because they were born above some imaginary line. Kind of like the Québécois seperatistes here in Canada.
Thanks Bio, I appreciate your considered response. As I said, I was asking about this on another music related board with some smart peeps (plenty of Brits/Irishers/Euros), and one comment I heard a lot was that many of the pro-Indy peeps up north tended to be real...well, dummies. Lots of playing on emotion and national/cultural identity and that, at the expense of serious consideration/discussion of the long term ramifications of independence. Like I said, I've no firm opinion yet, but cheers for giving me some insight mate.