Scottish independence?

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Scottish independence?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:Addendum: Which seems an increasingly likely outcome at this point, but my god, the sheer breathtaking incompetence is magnificent to behold.
The incompetence of the powers that be is what keeps me from falling into complete despair. The notion of escaping or ending history—ending social conflict—has been the utopia of Marxists and (modern and neo)liberals alike, but it never happens. The efforts to coerce a peace may drive the tensions underground for a time, but it does only exacerbate them. That incompetence is the hope in Pandora's box.
Last edited by Dr. Medulla on 18 Sep 2014, 7:43am, edited 1 time in total.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:I don't read this thread.
http://clashcity.com/boards/viewtopic.p ... 75#p388605

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:The other decent outcome of a Yes win is that the knives would be out for Cameron from within. I've always liked that British parties are willing to shiv their leaders. Party leaders in Canada have so much power that it's all but impossible to happen here.
I can't stand Cameron or his odious politics, but I shudder to think what kind of old school Eton fascist is going to shoot him in the back and take his place.
But you know some people are hoping this happens because losing those feeeelthy lefties would drive Parliament and the Tory majority further right. That's the "We fixed the glitch!" part of this where people's own lizard-brain stupidity is making it look more like a fait accompli with each passing hour.

I don't envy England either when this happens. Losing that much political diversity out of the government is going to send Cameron rightward, Labour more irrelevantly rightward, and then the knifey-in-Cameron's-back next guy rightward. If for no other reason than "Well, we purified the political gene pool by getting rid of the Scots...let's keep doing the same thing to ourselves!". Basically, a massive game of intra-party slut-shaming by any other name. Worked wonders for the Republican Party here in the States. :twitch:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Predicting what will happen to English politics in the event of a Yes win is a mug's game. Whenever someone confidently predicts the political future, I like to remind them that in 1964 it seemed like welfare state liberalism had banished reactionary conservatism to the ash heap for good. Then it all went to fuck in four years. Then in 1972 Nixon won an even larger landslide and it seemed he could completely reshape the land. And then it all went to fuck even quicker than it did to LBJ. And then in 1976 it seemed the country embraced earnestness as a political virtue, until four years later it went with indulgence. Political prognostication amid a revolutionary atmosphere is like betting on which of the two flies sitting on the table will leave first.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

CNN always gives 110%

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

If you are interested this is a good website to watch the results:

http://www.bbc.com/news/events/scotland-decides/results

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Sky and BBC calling No.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Damn, typical Jocks all talk and no pants.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Well, at least David Cameron's heart is intact. Now, more austerity measures!

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Well maybe civil war will break out, replete with beheadings and all, which seem to be au current just now. Or maybe mere scalping will come back into fashion, per Canada in the mid 18th century, courtesy of Highland regiments. Either way, something more theatrical should come of this other than just "Aye, keep the heid laddy. An get th' fook back tae work". What a bummer of a news cycle this'll have been...

Maybe ISIL should get involved. :shifty:
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

God, how I hate that fucking flag.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Silent Majority wrote:God, how I hate that fucking flag.
What, the Union Jack? What's not to like - you gots ya red, ya gots yer white, ya gots ya blue.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:God, how I hate that fucking flag.
What, the Union Jack? What's not to like - you gots ya red, ya gots yer white, ya gots ya blue.
Maybe all flags are horrible. Except Wales.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/