Let's All Call Edward Snowden A Hero Thread

Politics and other such topical creams.
Chuck Mangione
User avatar
Spitting Image
Posts: 6615
Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 10:45pm
Location: Up your boulevard.
Contact:

Let's All Call Edward Snowden A Hero Thread

Post by Chuck Mangione » 25 Dec 2013, 11:14am

God Bless Edward Snowden he is absolutely an utter, untouchable hero bless him and what he has done, especially because he is so much more than your average fartknocker. Bless him and his powers, which are better than your average man's. I am a liberal vying for true democracy in this too-damned-to-change state, bless Edward Snowden. NSA is bad. CIA is scum. World is black and white. Bless him.

biopunk
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 2666
Joined: 23 Aug 2009, 3:04am
Location: The Mountainous End of Canada

Re: Let's All Call Edward Snowden A Hero Thread

Post by biopunk » 25 Dec 2013, 11:25am

No.
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 75891
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Let's All Call Edward Snowden A Hero Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 25 Dec 2013, 12:23pm

I wouldn't canonize him so quickly. His reason for being a whistleblower wasn't due to any deep opposition to the state or even spying, but what he saw as unjustified abuses of the NSA's spying powers. He's a reformer, not a revolutionary. Which isn't to shit on what he did do at all—better to have this shit out in the open and force the conversation, or at least make people ponder the morality of a surveillance state—but he's not untouchable nor, as far as I can tell, some kind of radical champion for democracy. And it's probably better than he isn't a radical in terms of the short-term politics of it all, because it would make it easier to dismiss him as a sinister crank. But in the larger picture, he's not the end zone, just forward progress.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

I feel that, had he lived, John Lennon would have loved Donkey Kong.

Chuck Mangione
User avatar
Spitting Image
Posts: 6615
Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 10:45pm
Location: Up your boulevard.
Contact:

Re: Let's All Call Edward Snowden A Hero Thread

Post by Chuck Mangione » 25 Dec 2013, 1:48pm

biopunk wrote:No.
To the sarcasm or to calling him a hero? Because I wasn't calling him a hero, it was sarcasm for your guys' information.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 75891
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Let's All Call Edward Snowden A Hero Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 25 Dec 2013, 2:07pm

Chuck Mangione wrote:Because I wasn't calling him a hero, it was sarcasm for your guys' information.
Oh. Um, okay.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

I feel that, had he lived, John Lennon would have loved Donkey Kong.

Chuck Mangione
User avatar
Spitting Image
Posts: 6615
Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 10:45pm
Location: Up your boulevard.
Contact:

Re: Let's All Call Edward Snowden A Hero Thread

Post by Chuck Mangione » 25 Dec 2013, 2:18pm

Not that he changed nothing. Don't have heroes is all I'm saying.

biopunk
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 2666
Joined: 23 Aug 2009, 3:04am
Location: The Mountainous End of Canada

Re: Let's All Call Edward Snowden A Hero Thread

Post by biopunk » 25 Dec 2013, 2:21pm

Dagnabbit Chuck, Canadians don't get irony! Or figgy pudding...
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 75891
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Let's All Call Edward Snowden A Hero Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 25 Dec 2013, 2:33pm

Chuck's "Obama's Cooler Than Fuck" thread has sufficiently numbed me to his serious and ironic political stances.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

I feel that, had he lived, John Lennon would have loved Donkey Kong.

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25944
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: Let's All Call Edward Snowden A Hero Thread

Post by Flex » 25 Dec 2013, 7:14pm

I admire what he did - it took courage - but his goals are probably fairly fundamentally different than mine. As Doc says, at the end of the day he's a reformer. He doesn't want to abolish power, he just wants them to behave nicer. Fuck that.

That said, I also don't totally sign on with the Tarzian left critique of Snowden et al. either. I think what he did was a net positive, even if his methods were imperfect (i.e. not just leaking everything in a single infodump).
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 50285
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Let's All Call Edward Snowden A Hero Thread

Post by Wolter » 25 Dec 2013, 8:24pm

Flex wrote:I admire what he did - it took courage - but his goals are probably fairly fundamentally different than mine. As Doc says, at the end of the day he's a reformer. He doesn't want to abolish power, he just wants them to behave nicer. Fuck that.

That said, I also don't totally sign on with the Tarzian left critique of Snowden et al. either. I think what he did was a net positive, even if his methods were imperfect (i.e. not just leaking everything in a single infodump).
What Flex said. Only with more explosions and tits.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 75891
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Let's All Call Edward Snowden A Hero Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 25 Dec 2013, 10:08pm

Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:I admire what he did - it took courage - but his goals are probably fairly fundamentally different than mine. As Doc says, at the end of the day he's a reformer. He doesn't want to abolish power, he just wants them to behave nicer. Fuck that.

That said, I also don't totally sign on with the Tarzian left critique of Snowden et al. either. I think what he did was a net positive, even if his methods were imperfect (i.e. not just leaking everything in a single infodump).
What Flex said. Only with more explosions and tits.
Mine also has all that plus jetpacks and a world where Bruce Springsteen was killed in Vietnam in 1958.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

I feel that, had he lived, John Lennon would have loved Donkey Kong.

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 50285
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Let's All Call Edward Snowden A Hero Thread

Post by Wolter » 25 Dec 2013, 11:44pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:I admire what he did - it took courage - but his goals are probably fairly fundamentally different than mine. As Doc says, at the end of the day he's a reformer. He doesn't want to abolish power, he just wants them to behave nicer. Fuck that.

That said, I also don't totally sign on with the Tarzian left critique of Snowden et al. either. I think what he did was a net positive, even if his methods were imperfect (i.e. not just leaking everything in a single infodump).
What Flex said. Only with more explosions and tits.
Mine also has all that plus jetpacks and a world where Bruce Springsteen was killed in Vietnam in 1958.
Sweet.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Chuck Mangione
User avatar
Spitting Image
Posts: 6615
Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 10:45pm
Location: Up your boulevard.
Contact:

Re: Let's All Call Edward Snowden A Hero Thread

Post by Chuck Mangione » 27 Dec 2013, 1:15pm


Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 50285
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Let's All Call Edward Snowden A Hero Thread

Post by Wolter » 27 Dec 2013, 1:29pm

Government Official Rules That Government Actions A-Ok.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 75891
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Let's All Call Edward Snowden A Hero Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 27 Dec 2013, 1:50pm

Wolter wrote:
Government Official Rules That Government Actions A-Ok.
See, the system works!
Endut! Hoch Hech!

I feel that, had he lived, John Lennon would have loved Donkey Kong.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests