Barracuda?

Politics and other such topical creams.
darter
Sightsee MC

Barracuda?

Post by darter »

Funny how "barracuda" is now somehow a compliment. Anyway, use of the song was not approved by the artists at the G.O.P convention. Part of an article follows, and a link.

(Quote below from Nancy Wilson)

"I think it's completely unfair to be so misrepresented," she said in a phone call to EW.com after the speech. "I feel completely f---ed over." s

"Sarah Palin's views and values in NO WAY represent us as American women. We ask that our song 'Barracuda' no longer be used to promote her image."

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2008/09/ ... the+record
Last edited by darter on 06 Sep 2008, 2:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

Still216
Hoy Without The Hoy

Re: Baracuda?

Post by Still216 »

I feel worse for Chrissie Hynde. One of her songs has served as the intro for the Rush Limbaugh show for over fifteen years.

Besides, isn't Barracuda in the public domain by now?
Sit on my lap, I'm sober! - cretin
Dylan can never care about anything, not a troublesome woman, not a beleagured workingman, not a fingerless glove or sleeveless jacket, as much as Andrew WK cares about partying. - Silent Majority

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Still216 wrote:I feel worse for Chrissie Hynde. One of her songs has served as the intro for the Rush Limbaugh show for over fifteen years.
Not only that, but it's a song about Kent State.

Oh, and I thought about it a bit...it's been his theme for at least 18 years - because I first heard him in my dad's car in 1990 and he was using it.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Bankrobber
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Bankrobber »

Once I heard "The Call Up" used as bumper music for Bill O'Reilly's radio show. It angered me for days.
I'm so punk, I don't even take my leather jacket off when it catches fire. Which it does frequently, because of how fucking punk I am.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Bankrobber wrote:Once I heard "The Call Up" used as bumper music for Bill O'Reilly's radio show. It angered me for days.
Isn't that the intended effect of listening to O'Reilly's radio show?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

As much as it annoys me, it really is rather clever and all part of the rebranding of conservatism as the ideology of rebellion. Utterly false, of course, but propaganda is propaganda.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Magnus
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by Magnus »

"Barracuda" still means "Summer Fun" to me:
http://poppunk.free.fr/barracudas21.mp3

darter
Sightsee MC

Re: Barracuda?

Post by darter »

When I first heard the term, used derisively, the image was that of a sharp-toothed barracuda attacking from below, esp. attacking a *man* from below. Here is a link to American slang usage over time. In the 1980's the term meant "nasty woman" , according to this dictionary.

http://books.google.com/books?id=5GpLcC ... &ct=result .

It now dawns on me that that the Republican propaganda machine has found yet another word to reverse the meaning of, Orwell-style. They have yet to be disappointed by the stupidity of the American voter.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Wolter wrote:
Still216 wrote:I feel worse for Chrissie Hynde. One of her songs has served as the intro for the Rush Limbaugh show for over fifteen years.

Oh, and I thought about it a bit...it's been his theme for at least 18 years - because I first heard him in my dad's car in 1990 and he was using it.
Didn't she give him permission to use the song if he made a donation to PETA? Or is that an urban legend?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote:

Didn't she give him permission to use the song if he made a donation to PETA? Or is that an urban legend?
Never heard that. Looks like it's time to play internet detective.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Yeah, it looks like Rush had been using it since from 1984-1997 without permission. Eventually Hynde apparently made him pay at least 10K a year for it (some sources say 500K, but that seems unlikely), which she then donates to PETA.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Wolter wrote:Yeah, it looks like Rush had been using it since from 1984-1997 without permission. Eventually Hynde apparently made him pay about 500K a year for it, which she then donates to PETA.
I see...that makes more sense. Thanks for the intrepid research, Encyclopedia Wolter.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote:Yeah, it looks like Rush had been using it since from 1984-1997 without permission. Eventually Hynde apparently made him pay about 500K a year for it, which she then donates to PETA.
I see...that makes more sense. Thanks for the intrepid research, Encyclopedia Wolter.
I corrected myself above.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
Say, how did that feud with Encyclopedia Brown turn out? Resolved? Simmering? All out war?
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Say, how did that feud with Encyclopedia Brown turn out? Resolved? Simmering? All out war?
We joined forces to battle Bugs Meany when Sally took a vacation.