CBS reporting 27 dead in Connecticut school shooting.

Politics and other such topical creams.
Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Re: CBS reporting 27 dead in Connecticut school shooting.

Post by Rat Patrol »

101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Just remember, we're not allowed to talk about gun violence unless it's to say that none of this would have happened unless there were more guns available to everyone. Just keep bouncing from one insanity to the next.
Dr101 the rarest of them all.
Fox News is already pushing this. Same with the "America doesn't look like it did 30 years ago" dog whistle about the moochers and the darkies and the "Things were better when Reagan was defeating the Commies with his bare hands fuck yeah."

I guarantee...guarantee...that the NRA will be holding a rally in CT within 2 weeks. That is standard operating procedure for them after a massacre. The only thing that may prevent that is that that part of CT is deep fucking blue and the gun nuts would probably be too chicken to show up and cross the mob that would be ready to tear them to shreds.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

I'm just glad that guns didn't kill anyone today, mentally ill people with guns killed people. We've got some deep rooted psychological issues in this country.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

BostonBeaneater wrote:I'm just glad that guns didn't kill anyone today, mentally ill people with guns killed people. We've got some deep rooted psychological issues in this country.
Right because 27 people would be dead if he had used a knife or a bat.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

BostonBeaneater wrote:I'm just glad that guns didn't kill anyone today, mentally ill people with guns killed people. We've got some deep rooted psychological issues in this country.
Combine that with the problem that people with psychological issue have guns or access to them and you have a problem.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I'm just sick about this. I'm really tired of this and tired of people justifying the need for automatic weapons.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

20 of the 27 dead were children, so that number has been revised up. Unconfirmed reports that it was his mom's kindergarten class that was targeted, and his mom was killed in the school...so this might've been a family dispute. The person dead at the family house may have been another relative, and it happened prior to the school shooting. His girlfriend and 1 of her friends--both in NJ--are unaccounted for.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Rat Patrol wrote:20 of the 27 dead were children, so that number has been revised up. Unconfirmed reports that it was his mom's kindergarten class that was targeted, and his mom was killed in the school...so this might've been a family dispute. The person dead at the family house may have been another relative, and it happened prior to the school shooting. His girlfriend and 1 of her friends--both in NJ--are unaccounted for.
His brother apparently.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

matedog wrote:
I was being ironic.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

matedog wrote:
The difference there would be that they'd be injured.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2012/12 ... c=rss&_r=2

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
matedog wrote:
I was being ironic.
Ironic or sarcastic?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

eumaas wrote:Sick society.
Fundamentally, that's it. I'll agree with the NRA types that the guns aren't the problem per se, it's the people. But at some point it has to dawn on you that easy access to guns isn't making you safer—ostensibly the reason for having them. Does it make sense to make it easier and easier for people who believe that violence is a legitimate means of redressing grievances? As many NRA supporters point out, there are nations with high gun ownership that don't have corresponding gun violence rates. Yes, which means that, you know, Americans, collectively, aren't psychologically well equipped to be gun owners. Which principle is worth more to you, having free access to guns or not living in a society stricken by rampage killings? I dunno, I live in a city with a metro area pop of 1.25M and we just had our seventh murder of the year. That relative absence of violence seems a more worthy principle to fight for than to amass firearms, because it's utterly untenable to argue that high gun ownership—hand guns assault weapons—will lead to a more peaceful society.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Wow. Media mis-reported the shooter's name. Ryan is the brother. Adam is the shooter.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I hate ever sounding like one of those "because something is hard we just should't bother" people - anyone familiar with my politics knows that's hardly a deterrent for me - but Megan McArdle brings up some pretty good points about how little good most of the solutions to gun violence being discussed now are likely to be, and how the ones that may actually work are deeply, deeply problematic: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... sacre.html
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »