Get off the streets. . .Get off the streets. . .

Politics and other such topical creams.
Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Get off the streets. . .Get off the streets. . .

Post by Rat Patrol »

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Get off the streets. . .Get off the streets. . .

Post by Marky Dread »

Wow heavy!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I assume that the libertarian / Goldwater wing of the party will be outraged by this trampling on the right to peacefully assemble and protest.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:I assume that the libertarian / Goldwater wing of the party will be outraged by this trampling on the right to peacefully assemble and protest.
O Steve, where art thou?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:I assume that the libertarian / Goldwater wing of the party will be outraged by this trampling on the right to peacefully assemble and protest.
O Steve, where art thou?
Breathing a sigh of relief that Sarah Palin is a hunter?

Still216
Hoy Without The Hoy

Post by Still216 »

A copy of a warrant at one house said the police were authorized to look for a laundry list of items, including fire bombs, Molotov cocktails, brake fluid, photographs and maps of St. Paul, paint, computers and camera equipment, and documents and other communications.
Hmm.

You know what, with a Katrina-caliber hurricane about to hit NOLA on the night the Republican convention starts, I think the protestors can go home and just sit comfortably. I commend McCain for being classy and minimizing the convention to "essential activities" tomorrow (won't the call girls be disappointed) but this hurricane, and the memories of the bungling for three years ago ("I think Brownie's doing a helluva job") are going to completely deflate any momentum the Republican party is enjoying right now. At least they seem to be effectively getting everyone out of harm's way this time. Regardless...it's over, Johnny.
Sit on my lap, I'm sober! - cretin
Dylan can never care about anything, not a troublesome woman, not a beleagured workingman, not a fingerless glove or sleeveless jacket, as much as Andrew WK cares about partying. - Silent Majority

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Still216 wrote:I commend McCain for being classy and minimizing the convention to "essential activities" tomorrow (won't the call girls be disappointed) but this hurricane, and the memories of the bungling for three years ago ("I think Brownie's doing a helluva job") are going to completely deflate any momentum the Republican party is enjoying right now. At least they seem to be effectively getting everyone out of harm's way this time. Regardless...it's over, Johnny.
I'm pretty sure that's one of the "essential activities" not being canceled :shifty:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Still216 wrote:You know what, with a Katrina-caliber hurricane about to hit NOLA on the night the Republican convention starts, I think the protestors can go home and just sit comfortably. I commend McCain for being classy and minimizing the convention to "essential activities" tomorrow (won't the call girls be disappointed) but this hurricane, and the memories of the bungling for three years ago ("I think Brownie's doing a helluva job") are going to completely deflate any momentum the Republican party is enjoying right now. At least they seem to be effectively getting everyone out of harm's way this time. Regardless...it's over, Johnny.
Nate Silver at fivethirtyeight.com, a pretty serious ass effort at analyzing polling, has offered possible reasons why Gustav will help McCain. Possible, but much of what he suggests is short-term stuff anyway.

Still216
Hoy Without The Hoy

Post by Still216 »

Dr. Medulla wrote: Nate Silver at fivethirtyeight.com, a pretty serious ass effort at analyzing polling, has offered possible reasons why Gustav will help McCain. Possible, but much of what he suggests is short-term stuff anyway.
Americans have short memories, and a relatively more successful response to Gustav could allow the GOP to argue that it has redeemed itself for the mistake of Katrina.
Ignoring the initial rib there (if my house was blown away in 2005 and insurance companies tried to get out of paying for it because the damage was allegedly caused by water and not wind, I sure wouldn't forget a thing...of course I'm sure they are referring to other non-LA states' impressions of the handling of Katrina), there is something there. The mandatory evacuations and ban on shelters in NOLA itself are a step in the right direction. But even if the current handling of Gustav went perfectly (i.e. no deaths), someone like, say, James Carville would probably keep pressing the question as to why we weren't ready to take these necessary steps in 2005. Whether that's the right thing or not when there's homes and lives at stake, I don't know. Just saying if I was in the politics business, it's something I'd consider pointing out.
Sit on my lap, I'm sober! - cretin
Dylan can never care about anything, not a troublesome woman, not a beleagured workingman, not a fingerless glove or sleeveless jacket, as much as Andrew WK cares about partying. - Silent Majority

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Still216 wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: Nate Silver at fivethirtyeight.com, a pretty serious ass effort at analyzing polling, has offered possible reasons why Gustav will help McCain. Possible, but much of what he suggests is short-term stuff anyway.
Americans have short memories, and a relatively more successful response to Gustav could allow the GOP to argue that it has redeemed itself for the mistake of Katrina.
Ignoring the initial rib there (if my house was blown away in 2005 and insurance companies tried to get out of paying for it because the damage was allegedly caused by water and not wind, I sure wouldn't forget a thing...of course I'm sure they are referring to other non-LA states' impressions of the handling of Katrina), there is something there. The mandatory evacuations and ban on shelters in NOLA itself are a step in the right direction. But even if the current handling of Gustav went perfectly (i.e. no deaths), someone like, say, James Carville would probably keep pressing the question as to why we weren't ready to take these necessary steps in 2005. Whether that's the right thing or not when there's homes and lives at stake, I don't know. Just saying if I was in the politics business, it's something I'd consider pointing out.
And, in the context of Gustav, the GOP and their media accomplices would accuse Democrats of politicizing a natural disaster for political gain. Without a doubt. I'm not saying that it would work, but the right would and will elevate themselves as noble and patriotic and wag a finger at anyone who would criticize them. They'll try to use this as a get-out-of-jail-free card for the callousness and incompetence of Katrina.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

So...has Spiff been detained?
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Wolter wrote:So...has Spiff been detained?
Ha!

I was very well behaved, naturally.

But, as a former Boy Scout, I was prepared.

Anyway, the day was fun, but beastly hot. The tear gassing began later in the day when the ususal suspects itching for a fight with the cops got what they wanted.

Some cars were vandalized, some store windows broken, and one Minneapolis cop car had its rear window busted. All this took place before and after the anti-war march, which was peacefull.

But the key was this: Prior to the march, there were unjustified arrests during police raids using questionable warrants, and that made many people afraid to come out on Monday. Thus, the march had about 10,000 people instead of the hoped for 50,000.

Here are some piccies:

My four friends:

L to R: JoJo, unknown woman in red, Phyllis, Deb, Gretchen (Mrs. Spiff)

Democracy on ice:

Cops, and their cool toys:

More cops, and a U.S. version of a Black Maria:

The iconic image of the day:

Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

For a party that relies on "traditional values," that elephant looks (for want of a better term) really queer.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Glad that you weren't involved in any of the ugliness, Spiff. Nevertheless, it's extremely unsettling seeing cops that well armed and outfitted in a non-crisis situation. The visual intimidation seems apparent.

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Wolter wrote:For a party that relies on "traditional values," that elephant looks (for want of a better term) really queer.
It does seem to be reacting to having its tail stuck up its ass... :scared:

Which reminds me of a T-shirt vendor that day who was selling a shirt with this slogan:

"Of course you're in pain ... you've been screwed by an elephant!"
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.