The Election Thread To Talk About The Election

Politics and other such topical creams.
IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Election Thread To Talk About The Election

Post by IkarisOne »

Wolter wrote:
eumaas wrote:Also, if you're so fucking pissed off about Republicans winning, be mad at the people who voted Republican, not at me for fuck's sake.

Thank you. I remember all the Democrats being pissed at Nader voters in 2000, and all I could think is: why aren't you angrier that the Democratic Party was so inept that they fumbled that whole thing to the point where a third party could "spoil" it.

That and being annoyed that they actually believed every Nader voter would have been a democrat otherwise.
And now a word from a representative of the actual owners of the country:

“The argument that the two parties should represent opposed ideals and policies, one, perhaps, of the Right and the other of the Left, is a foolish idea acceptable only to the doctrinaire and academic thinkers. Instead, the two parties should be almost identical, so that the American people can “throw the rascals out” at any election without leading to any profound or extreme shifts in policy. … Either party in office becomes in time corrupt, tired, unenterprising, and vigorless. Then it should be possible to replace it, every four years if necessary, by the other party, which will be none of these things but will still pursue, with new vigor, approximately the same basic policies.”

[Carroll Quigley, Tragedy and Hope: A History of the World in Our Time (New York: Macmillan, 1966), pp. 1247-1248.]

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A nice bit of acidic commentary from Neil Macdonald, CBC's senior Washington correspondent. He's also Norm's brother, which the tone of the piece helps to confirm.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/republican ... -1.2824576
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A curiosity speculation based on Hitler Kenyan coming out in favour of net neutrality yesterday. Does the combination of losing the Senate and being in his last two years push him to the more "progressive" wing of the party? That is, there is little value to playing nice with the Republicans now, so does he start catering to the dopey idealists who voted for him the first time around? Running up to the next election, it's a way of distinguishing his party from theirs. I dunno, just musing out loud, but I'm intrigued by the idea of politicians who are freed from electoral strategy and kowtowing, whether they become seemingly more principled or lameducks.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Dr. Medulla wrote:A curiosity speculation based on Hitler Kenyan coming out in favour of net neutrality yesterday. Does the combination of losing the Senate and being in his last two years push him to the more "progressive" wing of the party? That is, there is little value to playing nice with the Republicans now, so does he start catering to the dopey idealists who voted for him the first time around? Running up to the next election, it's a way of distinguishing his party from theirs. I dunno, just musing out loud, but I'm intrigued by the idea of politicians who are freed from electoral strategy and kowtowing, whether they become seemingly more principled or lameducks.
If he comes out strongly against the Keystone XL Pipeline, then the truthiness of your speculation will be increased tremendously.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Dr. Medulla wrote:A curiosity speculation based on Hitler Kenyan coming out in favour of net neutrality yesterday. Does the combination of losing the Senate and being in his last two years push him to the more "progressive" wing of the party? That is, there is little value to playing nice with the Republicans now, so does he start catering to the dopey idealists who voted for him the first time around? Running up to the next election, it's a way of distinguishing his party from theirs. I dunno, just musing out loud, but I'm intrigued by the idea of politicians who are freed from electoral strategy and kowtowing, whether they become seemingly more principled or lameducks.
No. Absolutely not. He will never change the way he operates, because his hard-wiring has been so completely consistent from Day 1. He staked his entire preznidential legacy to several key policy flanks.
-- The ACA, so he will continue to protect that one vigorously.
-- Immigration reform/amnesty. Although he's been maddeningly inconsistent with that with all the deportations. Since Boehner won't bring up the bill the Senate passed he will go right ahead with the Executive actions and dare the House to impeach him over it.
-- That "Grand Bargain" shit sandwich gutting the safety net. He will continue making quixotic conciliatory gestures and make the first move offering up Social Security cuts...but perhaps knowing in the back of his head that the GOP caucus is so unruly they are even less likely to bring something out of committee (it's still goddamn infuriating, though, because it just means precedent gets reinforced for Preznit Hillary to attempt the same :hmph: ).
-- Massive infrastructure investment and aping Eisenhower on remaking the transportation system (high-speed rail, etc.) in his image. Might be the "Mr. Amtrak" Biden effect making its singular mark, since the VP's such a total and politically lifelong infrastructure nerd. That obviously was stalled in Congress but his aggro at precedent-setting has been consistent from Day 1.
-- Alarmingly--a new set of international job-killing trade agreements. Please god no...but I doubt we can stop that one because the WH has rigged the secrecy around it to act with near-impunity.
-- Toughening environmental regs, making climate change a driving political agenda, encouraging alt. energy investment (that part dovetails with the infrastructure nerd thing). Obviously jack shit done about that and all the climate deniers now in firm control of Congress, but I think he'll actually use the veto pen with impunity on that one the next 2 years whereas he'll probably just sit on his hands for some other terrible things Congress passes.
-- And one addendum-by-circumstance since '08...protecting the Voting Rights Act and protecting against all this Voter ID bullshit going up in the red states. One of the few progressive things he's actually led from the front on. Look at the way Attorney General Holder has been in total "I dare you to fuck with me on this" with Congress and the Supremes. Which is unequivocally welcome behavior. And clear to see why...black prez., black AG, black woman nominee for next AG where he's basically giving Congress a poison pill: either confirm Lynch, or your arch-nemesis Holder is staying on.

An odd and somewhat ideologically contradictory slate of legacy items. He's anal-retentively set in his ways, from these key planks to the security state to the grotesque Bush II continuation of war policy to that "lead from behind" aloofness on social issues. For that bucket list and his very quirky interpretations of them he's fully engaged, whereas he just isn't at all on nearly everything else except for the under-board secrecy stuff. I honestly wonder if it's some sort of clinical OCD that drives him like this which will be fascinating study for a few generations of biographers. Either that or he considers the radical centrist Harvard Law Review the greatest job he ever held and the greatest job that ever was.

Net neutrality is different. He didn't appoint most of the FCC chairs because they have set 10-year terms and are somewhat outside of the White House's thumb. That idiotic chairman who is so flagrantly in the tank for Comcast that he attends corporate fetes and almost dares the White House to complain about conflicts of interest is pretty much dead to him. The White House runs a tight ship about officials going off-the-reservation (somewhat good because it's kept a short leash on officials doing scandalous things, somewhat bad because of the extreme secrecy), and the fact that the Bush-appointee chairs want to throw it in their faces publicly with these nonsensical fast-lane/slow-lane proposals that have--from the outsized vitriol expressed in the comment periods--struck a high-profile nerve with the public, makes them avowed enemies of the WH. Obama didn't have a firm stand on this issue at the start, which meant that he was quite likely to just side with Wall Street as is his wont. Now it's personal, and now it's openly provocative action vs. openly provocative action. From his standpoint mass public protest is because of in-house unrest he can't control grates because it's one thing within the Executive Branch he can't keep control over. So he's wielding the "internet as re-classified public utility" killshot as a threat. I don't know what'll happen with that; I suspect political dealing will just defer it so no action is taken this term and everyone gets to save face. But the fact it has come to these threats is--inadvertently--a good thing. It sets a precedent of high public investment in the decision and for the public utility threat. Although I'm still the pessimist that corporate interests are going to win out. Maybe not in as much totality as the first proposal, but the FCC = Comcast and Verizon and I don't expect any Preznit to substantially change that.

Ultimately I think this is going to fragment at the state level just like Obamacare has. You'll have blue states and blue cities deciding they've has enough of this shit and start inviting more Google Fiber-esque installations, municipal Wi-Fi, busting up the municipal 1-cable-provider-per-area franchise monopolies to open up competition, etc. and dare the Supreme Court to stop them. That's bad news for Comcast, Time Warner, et al. who are seeing their business get more and more singularly dependent on Internet from the cable TV cord-cutting effect. But that's always been seen as a high-risk to their ultimate survival because they stopped investing in new infrastructure so long ago. Jesus...I'm a cord-cutter now too with no landline and just Comcast basic Internet (which I'll admit is pretty fast and reliable) sets me back $75 per month...whereas adjacent towns with 2 cable franchises get about $35 per month for the exact same service. Google doesn't even want to be a utility but they get so much leverage from these Google Fiber municipal installations that they're just going hog-wild with it and will figure out how to justify or sell that business long-term later. Right now they're too well-motivated to kill Comcast/Time Warner with a thousand cuts because they bought off the FCC in-total and left no commissioners for Google to buy off.

So, same as it ever was...the blue states and the pockets of blue around the cities will have second- or first-world Internet to go with their overall holding-steady second- or first-world standard of living. And the Deep South and swing states that get wiped out twice a decade by GOP flips in the governor's mansion and state legislature will regress to the third-world AOL era and price the middle class out of broadband entirely.

Keystone XL I'm not sure about. I get the impression the WH is at war with the State Department over similar OCD control issues...too many non-appointee bureaucrats not towing the company line and going off-the-reservation. If it weren't for that I think it would've been approved years ago. He seems to be running out the clock as much as possible given that the particular officials publicly cheerleading about it are likewise folks he can't outright fire. So then it's up to Hillary-in-Chief to approve. It's a little encouraging that in last week's Election Postmortem press conference he actually said it for the first time: "It's so Canada can export to China...it doesn't do a damn thing for fuel prices, and we pay for it and get nothing out of it." Which is encouraging because everyone with half a brain already knows this, but it's been well-hidden from everyone else. If he keeps repeating that talking point and it succeeds at cranking up the outrage machine enough that some (not all but some) Teabaggers are going to get caught wavering on it. Watch attention whores like Ted Cruz start to contradict themselves on Keystone for 114th Congress action items if the more restive elements of the base start saying "Really...you're spending my goddamn tax dollars to help faggy Canada? LET'S BOMB HOCKEY! :curses1: ". Operation Chaos, etc. And who knows...maybe Obama is pissed at Uncle Steve over something and is sending an "OBEY!" message to America's Hat using this as leverage. But it's still a run-out-the-clock maneuver, so all bets are off with Preznit Hillary and how much the Chinese have already bought her off enough over getting their manifest destiny cheap export oil.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

So...is our children-in-cages haz bipartisanship yet? X(

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Fuck, what a news cycle yesterday. Thought it was all done and then a mass shooting in my hometown.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Well, I once again did my civic doodie and vorted the other day.

ballot_to_restore_sanity.jpg

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Ratty may be a foul-weather Red Sox fan, but I fully embrace his voting shenanigans. :approve:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Rat Patrol wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 8:54pm

I used to do that especially when there was just one person running. Lately I'm not even inspired to do that.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 7:35am
Rat Patrol wrote:

I used to do that especially when there was just one person running. Lately I'm not even inspired to do that.
Canadian ballots don't have a write-in option—just a big ol' circle beside each candidate that you mark with an X—so last election I wrote No in each oval. The system notably quivered with disrepute thanks to my bold action.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Rat Patrol wrote:

I wrote in Fred Rogers this year. There were a few Republicans going unopposed so I had to do something.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Mimi wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 8:31am
Rat Patrol wrote:

I wrote in Fred Rogers this year. There were a few Republicans going unopposed so I had to do something.
I wrote “LITERALLY ANYONE ELSE” in the unopposed republican race.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Wolter wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 9:19am
Mimi wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 8:31am
Rat Patrol wrote:

I wrote “LITERALLY ANYONE ELSE” in the unopposed republican race.
I literally LOLd. I hope you used a lot of exclamation points.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

revbob wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 7:35am
Rat Patrol wrote:

I do it every time for Steve Lynch because he's the most fucking useless "Fox News Democrat" in all of New England. I feel envious of my old precinct in Cambridge where Mike Capuano--a legit consistently progressive vote, albeit somewhat of an establishment player--got taken down from the left by a young-and-hungry Ayanna Pressley in the primary while this centrist concern-trolling stick in the mud goes completely unopposed year after fucking year. I'm not even sure Lynch would know what to do if he had an actual challenger except whine "No-fair!" about it, so can we please get some of that establishment-punching primary action in the Southie-to-South Shore district pretty please??? :disshame:

Governor was such a foregone conclusion and the Dem such an uninspiring featherweight (Team D saved their bullets this year because Baker's so popular with their own kind) I wouldn't dignify that spot with an answer. And I still feel traumatized for holding my nose and checking off Martha Fucking Coakley 4 years ago so was not in a mood for Team Gonzalez.

I wrote in "Zuul" for Secretary of State because Sec'y-for-Life Bill Galvin has been in office for 25 fucking years and the smell of brainrot almost reaches the Berkshires. Of course he ran unopposed once again.

The rest I checked off seriously, even for the unopposed local positions. We at least had some very consequential ballot questions this year (BOO! to the for-profit hospital lobby for turfing controls of nurse-to-patient ratios, YAY! for permanent trans identity protections and for creation of a 15-person legal committee charged with ratfucking Citizens United with any state-level legislation they can make stick.