Oh, McCain...

Politics and other such topical creams.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Oh, McCain...

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:According to today's Washington Post (i.e., Jew-run liberal media and spreader of the Devil's lies), Palin wasn't actually interviewed face-to-face until the day before McCain picked her. Wow. He clinched the nomination back in, what, March? If Obama's process was that poorly handled he'd be (rightfully) crucified by the right wing media for being so sloppy and that it'd be proof that he wasn't up for the job. How that went down isn't a reason to vote for Obama, but it's certainly a reason to question voting for McCain.
But Obama isn't gonna wiNN!!!

Epic fail, lolz you suxxxx0rz!!!!!111one111!tastypotato!!?

Anyways, on topic: Spot on in the analysis of this as a pretty crappy blemish for Mr. Experienced McCain. I dunno if it'll change and minds, but at least the media is picking up on it. The repubs just don't seem like they're trying very hard this year.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

P.S. Speaking of the Jew-Run NYT, anyone else pick up on the little story than Palin sat in on a Jews for Jesus sermon. Those guys are fucking horrible. I don't think a candidate should necessarily be held accountable for what they hear in church (I thought the attacks on Obama for his minister's comments were unfounded), but I'd hope that all the same people who threw out so much shit about that stuff are decrying Palin's involvement with those JfJ dickpoles.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:P.S. Speaking of the Jew-Run NYT, anyone else pick up on the little story than Palin sat in on a Jews for Jesus sermon. Those guys are fucking horrible. I don't think a candidate should necessarily be held accountable for what they hear in church (I thought the attacks on Obama for his minister's comments were unfounded), but I'd hope that all the same people who threw out so much shit about that stuff are decrying Palin's involvement with those JfJ dickpoles.
And that's the thing that bugs me to no end about partisan politics, and I find it worse in the American context because it's so much more values and morality drenched—if you wouldn't make the same critique if party labels were switched, shut the fuck up. Don't go on about Obama's crazy preacher if you wouldn't say the same about a Republican crazy preacher. Don't go on about the evils of bringing in a candidate's children into a campaign if you weren't utterly disgusted when Bush push-polled McCain in the SC primary in 2000 by hinting sinisterly about his adopted child from Bangladesh(?). Same with the experience question or military service. Anyone who claims that Fox News wouldn't be all the fuck over this to the exclusion of all else if Biden's teenage daughter was pregnant is a liar or an idiot. Don't claim standards if they're only conditional for the most crass political purposes.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:P.S. Speaking of the Jew-Run NYT, anyone else pick up on the little story than Palin sat in on a Jews for Jesus sermon. Those guys are fucking horrible. I don't think a candidate should necessarily be held accountable for what they hear in church (I thought the attacks on Obama for his minister's comments were unfounded), but I'd hope that all the same people who threw out so much shit about that stuff are decrying Palin's involvement with those JfJ dickpoles.
Seriously -- doesn't she realize J4J is a cult started by hippies?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:at least the media is picking up on it. The repubs just don't seem like they're trying very hard this year.
Interesting new strategy by the McCain team—stonewalling. They've issued a statement to the media that they aren't going to answer questions about the vetting process. A fairly good relationship with the media was one of the advantages McCain had going into this election, and he seems to be gambling that the media needs him more than the other way around. As Nate Silver at fivethirtyeight.com has speculated, the Palin thing is going to be death by a thousand cuts, not one knock out, crippling scandal. Letting things fester by refusing to talk about, really, a legitimate question given that it reflects on McCain's judgement and work process, he's just asking for trouble.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Noted liberal media partisans Peggy Noonan and Mike Murphy take a break from the script and give their assessment of Palin.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

The GOP are looking like losers, big time.

KokaKola
Junco Partner

Post by KokaKola »

BostonBeaneater wrote:The GOP are looking like losers, big time.
Fingers crossed.
...advertising and kokaine.

KokaKola
Junco Partner

Post by KokaKola »

Question: Do you think those who are right-wing enough to agree w/ her politics are sexist enough to not want a woman in office (esp. considering McCain's age/health argument that she could end up Pres.)?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I watched maybe ten minutes of Sheriff Gunderson's speech (actually, she sounds more than a little rural Saskatchewan). Plenty of red meat for the base, but if I was an undecided I wouldn't have been all that impressed. She didn't strike me as an especially gifted speaker either (but then, in all honesty, I didn't think much of Obama's speech last Thursday—he knows how to work a crowd but his speech mostly bored me).

Didn't see them but apparently Rudy was pretty good (if long-winded) and Romneybot made its pitch for equal treatment for humanoid automatons. Apart from being anathema to social conservatives, I wonder if there was any other McCain didn't pick Rudy—he'd be a fuck of a good attack dog and already has a ready base.

KokaKola
Junco Partner

Post by KokaKola »

Dr. Medulla wrote:I watched maybe ten minutes of Sheriff Gunderson's speech (actually, she sounds more than a little rural Saskatchewan). Plenty of red meat for the base, but if I was an undecided I wouldn't have been all that impressed. She didn't strike me as an especially gifted speaker either (but then, in all honesty, I didn't think much of Obama's speech last Thursday—he knows how to work a crowd but his speech mostly bored me).
e.
"Palin Speech Electrifies RNC Delegates" -- from msn.com.

You, obviously, remain un-electrified. ;)

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

I saw a bit of Palin's speech last night.

Two things:

1. She lied about being against the "Bridge to Nowhere" -- she supported it at first and then decided she was against it when it became PC to do so. I hope the next Obama ad points this out simply and firmly.

2. She railed against "Liberal Washington" -- to great applause. Somebody ought to tell her that the Republicans have been in power in Washington for the last eight years. (I guess the Pony Express horse carrying the news must have died somewhere in the Yukon...)
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:I watched maybe ten minutes of Sheriff Gunderson's speech (actually, she sounds more than a little rural Saskatchewan). Plenty of red meat for the base, but if I was an undecided I wouldn't have been all that impressed. She didn't strike me as an especially gifted speaker either (but then, in all honesty, I didn't think much of Obama's speech last Thursday—he knows how to work a crowd but his speech mostly bored me).
I don't know you anymore. :cry:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
I don't know you anymore. :cry:
Hey, he speaks well, very well. I think Bill Clinton is still better—I don't like the guy, but when he's on, no one's better at working a room—but Obama is a compelling speaker. But the actual content of his speech … well, there really wasn't much in there that made me perk up and take notice. His speech on race (the Wright issue) was far far far better.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Spiff wrote:2. She railed against "Liberal Washington" -- to great applause. Somebody ought to tell her that the Republicans have been in power in Washington for the last eight years. (I guess the Pony Express horse carrying the news must have died somewhere in the Yukon...)
I'm reading Thomas Frank's new book, The Wrecking Crew, which details the Republican takeover of Washington but not so much from a strictly upfront party sense, but all the smaller propaganda organizations and think tanks that arose in the 80s. Fascinating stuff because those were the guys laying the groundwork for the politicians. (Jack Abramoff is right there from the start, as a College Republican, and he's got his finger in pretty much every covert and grassroots effort.) Essential to the strategy is to embrace and invert the rebellion of the 1960s, so that conservatives are the true and permanent rebels, the outsiders at the gate, fighting the good fight. And to snotty noses like you who point out that Republicans have controlled various arms of the federal government for the past 28 years, they say that the liberal beast that is Washington is really really really really really really very very very strong, and it seduces conservative warriors and causes them to betray the cause.