The Mittens Thread

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Mittens Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:I mean...my God...the photo/video evidence being replayed this morning is so bad. People who were holding their noses 24 hours ago or making excuses out of some misguided obligation to balance now hate his every being with a violent passion because of that smirk he simply would not wipe off his face. I mean...wow. It's been pretty firmly established that this is the most incompetently-run campaign of the last 40 years. Are we now reaching back a full century? An all-timer?
Ranks up there with Dukakis for my memory (and to give the guy a modicum of an excuse, he was up against an unexpectedly vicious and racialized campaign strategy that Atwater came up with). The knives were already coming out before this from conservative pundits, so this is just going to pour more fuel on the fire. I've thought all along that the fall campaign would kill Romney's chances because the guy is just an awful candidate who never hesitates to make the wrong decision, the wrong statement. And it's not like Obama has run an impressive campaign to this point. Romney has just been so undeniably worse.

edit: Choice snark comment about Mittens: "Romney's campaign is so dead that he's about to baptize it."
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Rat Patrol wrote: I have to think that trainwreck of a press conference about the Libyan embassy attacks is the moment that finally sends his campaign into a fatal flaming death plunge and probably costs him the electoral votes in the second-to-last battleground state he is still narrowly leading in above and beyond McCain's '08 pasting. He couldn't even demonstrate the basic-most self-control to look somber about a tragedy hours old--the kind of basic political competency required to get elected Pre-school Class President--while lobbing a crass political attack. On 9/11 (obviously on events unrelated). After promising--pinky-swear!--not to play politics on 9/11. That's the smirk that's going to be replayed 24/7 in every attack ad for the next 2 months.

I mean...my God...the photo/video evidence being replayed this morning is so bad. People who were holding their noses 24 hours ago or making excuses out of some misguided obligation to balance now hate his every being with a violent passion because of that smirk he simply would not wipe off his face. I mean...wow. It's been pretty firmly established that this is the most incompetently-run campaign of the last 40 years. Are we now reaching back a full century? An all-timer?

Just wow.
I didn't see the press conference (read it though), but I don't think a flub based on timeline nuance and "who said what," especially in regards to matters related to Islamic terror, is going to sink him much. We'll see though.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote: I have to think that trainwreck of a press conference about the Libyan embassy attacks is the moment that finally sends his campaign into a fatal flaming death plunge and probably costs him the electoral votes in the second-to-last battleground state he is still narrowly leading in above and beyond McCain's '08 pasting. He couldn't even demonstrate the basic-most self-control to look somber about a tragedy hours old--the kind of basic political competency required to get elected Pre-school Class President--while lobbing a crass political attack. On 9/11 (obviously on events unrelated). After promising--pinky-swear!--not to play politics on 9/11. That's the smirk that's going to be replayed 24/7 in every attack ad for the next 2 months.

I mean...my God...the photo/video evidence being replayed this morning is so bad. People who were holding their noses 24 hours ago or making excuses out of some misguided obligation to balance now hate his every being with a violent passion because of that smirk he simply would not wipe off his face. I mean...wow. It's been pretty firmly established that this is the most incompetently-run campaign of the last 40 years. Are we now reaching back a full century? An all-timer?

Just wow.
I didn't see the press conference (read it though), but I don't think a flub based on timeline nuance and "who said what," especially in regards to matters related to Islamic terror, is going to sink him much. We'll see though.
It's a problem because it wasn't a timeline nuance flub—it was an outright lie. They took what was said by the embassy in Cairo *before* the violence—words meant to calm people—and made it sound as if it were issued by the administration *after* the violence started, making it seem like the White House was more concerned about not hurting the feelings of attacking Muslims. He had the opportunity to correct this as an oversight, but refused. It's also problematic because both sides agreed not to politicize foreign policy on 11 Sept, but he couldn't wait. And it's problematic because thus far he hasn't shown much skill at foreign policy, which this incident reminds people. He's got credibility problems in terms of being forthright, shit that even conservatives have been calling him on, and this is just one more huge reminder that the guy is somewhere between a bumbler and a shameless opportunist. He's auditioning for a job, and not doing a very good job at it.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

matedog wrote:

Just wow.
It's not that. It's the smirking. He literally could not control his own shit-eating grin while enunciating a rather explosive criticism that pretty much required (and wouldn't have been hard for most life forms with human-like emotions to pull off) a straight face. It's a mesmerizing 8 minutes of gory trainwreck to watch, and there's like 6 AP photos of him smirking making saturation-coverage rounds. In the news and on Meme Generator.

Coupled with the fact that it took 11 hours AFTER that for him to issue...you know...his formal condolences for the loss of life. I mean...he couldn't have done more damage to himself if he literally lit himself on fire in lieu of a statement. The ones who've swallowed that Kool-Aid will keep on keeping on, but a whole lot of people who tried to be even-handed woke up this morning decided "Fuck it...this guy is a callous douche! No more, no less. For fucks sake, the blood isn't even dried at the Embassy!" And the MSM is not giving him a free pass this time. Because the GOP insiders--party apparatchik, not the foamers--are singing to their press sources behind the scenes that he fucked this one up hard (and probably leaking their displeasure as a release valve to keep the fallout from poisoning downticket). The only major words of support he's gotten today are from the dimwit RNC chair, Sarah Palin (who worked in a penis joke about Obama in the same tweet), Newt Gingerich, and Batshit Allen West. He got damned by omission from John McCain and Condi Rice. Paul Ryan punted entirely on any questions. And a few others got braver and zinged him a little.

And keep in mind...the photo/video evidence. There hasn't been an attack ad launched yet with this smirk footage. They'll be flying by week's end. And running for 2 months straight.

This is bad. Worse than his Euro Tour disaster in July. At minimum he unloaded a full clip in his foot and closed the window for a post-convention Obama bounce bounce-back. At worst he blew half his face off and it's potentially the straw that broke his back. If the anger starts to boil over on this fast-developing story, or if his self-served ammo results in a particularly devastating attack ad that sticks for news cycle after news cycle...and the cumulative drag means the party has to start outwardly distancing itself or hitting him back to save the drag on downballot races...then it's effectively over already and the GOP spends the next 2 months in nuclear containment mode.

It was a major fuck-up. Whether it was an epic fuck-up is yet to be determined. But nobody's doubting it was major.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

http://smirkingmitt.tumblr.com/

Memesville gains population +1.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Just watched the press conference. The thrust of it was hardly a game changer:
1. He equated the embassy's stance with that of the white house administration. Not exactly fair, but not an associated that is wildly far fetched.
2. He called that statement something not in line with "American values," namely free speech. To a certain degree that's true. The statement from the embassy was about "condemn(ing) the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims.” Their statement was an attempt at calming by criticizing supposed and probable bigotry. Mitt took it as, "hey, less free speech!" So a shitty, calculated misinterpretation, but something like that is not something your average AM radio listener is going to realize.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

matedog wrote:Just watched the press conference. The thrust of it was hardly a game changer:
1. He equated the embassy's stance with that of the white house administration. Not exactly fair, but not an associated that is wildly far fetched.
2. He called that statement something not in line with "American values," namely free speech. To a certain degree that's true. The statement from the embassy was about "condemn(ing) the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims.” Their statement was an attempt at calming by criticizing supposed and probable bigotry. Mitt took it as, "hey, less free speech!" So a shitty, calculated misinterpretation, but something like that is not something your average AM radio listener is going to realize.
Context: what Doc said about the timeline. It was a bald-faced lie the way he resequenced events to fit the message. And he didn't get away with it...he got nailed harder on it than he has for most of his distortions to-date. This isn't about the AM radio foamers, this is about napalming a good swath of the benefit-of-the-doubt he was still getting from fence-sitters. At precisely the time when they finally tune-in to the stretch drive of the campaign. The message is sort of irrelevant to how extra-special FAIL the execution was...at precisely the wrong time...when it would inflict precisely the most self-harm.

And then the visuals. He ain't walking this one back:

...and we haven't seen the first attack ad fashioned out of this yet.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Given that residents of red states receive more federal aid than those in blue states, this is a fascinating glimpse into a candidate's and a party's self-delusion.
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... fundraiser

And considering how awful of a campaign he's run—remarkably, even worse than his operation in the primaries—I look forward to them flubbing the rebuttal.

Allah must really love Obama to give him this kind of opponent …

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Image
Walter Romdale.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I can't believe that Gore had the highest positive gap, the second highest favourable, and lowest unfavourable rating of the batch. My recollection of 2000 was that he generated no heat one way or the other. He was just there.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic