Parenting (...or My Precious Snowflake is Better Than Yours)

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Parenting (...or My Precious Snowflake is Better Than Yours)

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
01 Apr 2023, 6:27pm
matedog wrote:
01 Apr 2023, 5:41pm
June gets a healthy dose of CRT in Oakland public schools (she’s in kindergarten currently).
What would lady Bobert say?
"You can't prove my husband whipped out his dick to those girls"?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
matedog wrote:
June gets a healthy dose of CRT in Oakland public schools (she’s in kindergarten currently).
Mrs Hoy very very generally resembles Boebert. Now if only I could get her to roleplay….
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 1:06am
revbob wrote:
matedog wrote:
Mrs Hoy very very generally resembles Boebert. Now if only I could get her to roleplay….
You want her pretend to be racist and crazy?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 9:46am
matedog wrote:
revbob wrote:
matedog wrote:
The heart wants what the heart wants. Or some organ south of the heart.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

revbob wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 9:46am
matedog wrote:
revbob wrote:
matedog wrote:
:lol:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/north-ca ... 84198dc5d6

On the one hand, yeah, participation trophies are stupid. Coffee’s for closers. But something to legislate? Back in the day, that’s the kind of shit where Republicans would mock Democrats for stupid instrusion.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 3:56pm

On the one hand, yeah, participation trophies are stupid. Coffee’s for closers. But something to legislate? Back in the day, that’s the kind of shit where Republicans would mock Democrats for stupid instrusion.
I really don’t feel strongly about the matter but I think participation trophies are fine. Nothing wrong with rewarding a kid for putting themselves out there. Also, and most importantly, the participation trophy is never as good as the real one, so it’s not like kids don’t know the winner is rewarded more greatly.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 8:20am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I really don’t feel strongly about the matter but I think participation trophies are fine. Nothing wrong with rewarding a kid for putting themselves out there. Also, and most importantly, the participation trophy is never as good as the real one, so it’s not like kids don’t know the winner is rewarded more greatly.
I'm of the view that the reward of participation is internal, not some trinket. In the same way, I was raised where my allowance was not tied to any household responsibilities (e.g., mowing the lawn, taking out the garbage). Being part of the family and contributing to the household were one in the same. I couldn't opt out and just forfeit my allowance that week. My allowance was for being part of the family and so were my chores. It's about making household responsibilities something that transcends the transactional. So participating in sports or anything like that shouldn't be bound up in the expectation of getting a materialn prize at the end. If you win, sure, let's mark that achievement. But just participating shouldn't come attached to getting a reward. You do it because you do it.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 8:30am
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'm of the view that the reward of participation is internal, not some trinket. In the same way, I was raised where my allowance was not tied to any household responsibilities (e.g., mowing the lawn, taking out the garbage). Being part of the family and contributing to the household were one in the same. I couldn't opt out and just forfeit my allowance that week. My allowance was for being part of the family and so were my chores. It's about making household responsibilities something that transcends the transactional. So participating in sports or anything like that shouldn't be bound up in the expectation of getting a materialn prize at the end. If you win, sure, let's mark that achievement. But just participating shouldn't come attached to getting a reward. You do it because you do it.
Hello,

This can get into a long discussion of developing extrinsic versus an intrinsic motivation. Parents should attempt to foster an intrinsic motivation towards sports and arts. I see this (and have seen this) on a vast number of layers and could go on for hours.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 8:54am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 8:30am
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

This can get into a long discussion of developing extrinsic versus an intrinsic motivation. Parents should attempt to foster an intrinsic motivation towards sports and arts. I see this (and have seen this) on a vast number of layers and could go on for hours.
That's one of the key tenets of punk that I try to get across to students. Why do you do the things you do? Because you feel a need to do them. Why perform? Because it's something you need to do. Why do you create a zine? Personal need. It's not about money—being rewarded—but satisfying that internal desire to create and do. In Marxist terms, it's unalienated labour. Stuff that brings joy and satisfaction in the doing alone, not compensation or legal requirement/coercion. It's so valuable to adjust your thinking to divorce yourself from the stuff you do for money from the stuff you do for joy, and don't contaminate the latter with the former. Which is why some punks argue that you shouldn't turn your art into your career. Don't give up your day job because it means turning your art into your job, and that ends up ruining the joy you get from art.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Anecdotally, pretty much every time I try to do something I love or have a passion for or whatever as as my like, regular-ass job, it always ends up pretty psychologically ruinous. Ive come to counsel pretty much the opposite of the old "do work that you love and you'll never work a day in your life" bullshit. I'd go: make sure you can tolerate what you do and make sure you have time for your passions outside of work. Capitalism will always ruin what you love, especially when your day to day survival is attached to it.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 9:30am
Anecdotally, pretty much every time I try to do something I love or have a passion for or whatever as as my like, regular-ass job, it always ends up pretty psychologically ruinous. Ive come to counsel pretty much the opposite of the old "do work that you love and you'll never work a day in your life" bullshit. I'd go: make sure you can tolerate what you do and make sure you have time for your passions outside of work. Capitalism will always ruin what you love, especially when your day to day survival is attached to it.
Precisely. Tho, that said, I will say that what I do now is an exception to that rule. I flat-out love what I do and would literally do it for free, except for the grading. I regard my pay as for grading alone. But talking about the dumb shit that I talk about, fuck, yeah, it’s fun and rewarding in ways so much beyond money. I don’t need to keep researching and writing new lectures. That’s for me and I’m just happy to pass it on to others. But, yeah, every other job I’ve had was work in the most pejorative sense and any pleasure I derived was in spite of it all.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 9:45am
Flex wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 9:30am
Precisely. Tho, that said, I will say that what I do now is an exception to that rule. I flat-out love what I do and would literally do it for free, except for the grading. I regard my pay as for grading alone. But talking about the dumb shit that I talk about, fuck, yeah, it’s fun and rewarding in ways so much beyond money. I don’t need to keep researching and writing new lectures. That’s for me and I’m just happy to pass it on to others. But, yeah, every other job I’ve had was work in the most pejorative sense and any pleasure I derived was in spite of it all.
Yeah, there's definitely exceptions so it's just - like all such advice - a rule of thumb, and some of it has to do with what your passions are and whatnot, but man oh man have I seen (and experienced) people's loves and passions used to ruthlessly exploit their (our) labor and then toss 'em to the curb when they're used up.

On participation trophies, I side with the "stoke personal drive/sense of commitment to the community outside external validation" but I'm also sympathetic to the sense of need for them insofar as I think they're basically a response to the fact we live in a culture that's almost entirely driven by external reward (money, fame, trophies). Hard to tell your kid to lift their head up high for trying their best when everything around them extolls the virtues of "bringing home a trophy" and "winning isn't everything, it's the only thing" mindset and so forth (mind, aside from anything else, I don't think participation trophies are very effective at addressing any of this anyways - as Hoy says, outside of maybe super young ages, a kid still KNOWS how they did - but I'm just sympathetic to the impulse). It all seems like a pretty natural response for how hyper-individualistic (and focused on socially rewarding that individualism) we are/have become as a society.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 10:02am
Yeah, there's definitely exceptions so it's just - like all such advice - a rule of thumb, and some of it has to do with what your passions are and whatnot, but man oh man have I seen (and experienced) people's loves and passions used to ruthlessly exploit their (our) labor and then toss 'em to the curb when they're used up.
Academia is quite brutal in that regard. Universities know that professors have a passion for their specialties—especially those starting out—and squeeze that fruit to get every last drop of juice. Those who work in design (like Kory) also get abused horribly for their love of creativity.
On participation trophies, I side with the "stoke personal drive/sense of commitment to the community outside external validation" but I'm also sympathetic to the sense of need for them insofar as I think they're basically a response to the fact we live in a culture that's almost entirely driven by external reward (money, fame, trophies). Hard to tell your kid to lift their head up high for trying their best when everything around them extolls the virtues of "bringing home a trophy" and "winning isn't everything, it's the only thing" mindset and so forth (mind, aside from anything else, I don't think participation trophies are very effective at addressing any of this anyways - as Hoy says, outside of maybe super young ages, a kid still KNOWS how they did - but I'm just sympathetic to the impulse). It all seems like a pretty natural response for how hyper-individualistic (and focused on socially rewarding that individualism) we are/have become as a society.
Stuff like that is a moment when I’m glad I don’t have a kid because head and heart would be in such a terrible struggle.