Capital (It Fails Us Now)

Politics and other such topical creams.
Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Capital (It Fails Us Now)

Post by Rat Patrol »

http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/05/news/ec ... &hpt=hp_t1

Speaking as an employee alumnus of the publishing arm of Standard & Poor's parent company, the very notion that that airless vacuum of analytical brainpower is granted unchecked authority to blink the economy of the first world out of existence with one press release full of basic arithmetic errors is patently hysterical. Those guys couldn't fart right and not leave streak marks on their Hanes boxer-briefs.

(Good health plan, though.)

SteveSatch
Junco Partner

Re: Capital (It Fails Us Now)

Post by SteveSatch »

The whole economy is manipulated, but 14 trillion in debt and not creating new jobs to get the economy growing is a pretty bad way to run a country. People talk about trying to have a balanced budget, but I don't think that's near enough. The .gov has to spend less than it brings in for a couple decades to get the debt paid off. That will never happen though since neither side wants to stop the entitlement programs. Going back decades the same thing has happened. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer, and the middle class shrinks. The .gov grows, the debt grows, the .gov makes everything it tries to make better worse. Regardless of which side is in power the same thing happens. What kind of credit rating do people expect with a 14 trillion dollar debt, high unemployment/underemployment and a .gov that makes starting or operating a small business far to difficult.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

SteveSatch wrote:The whole economy is manipulated, but 14 trillion in debt and not creating new jobs to get the economy growing is a pretty bad way to run a country. People talk about trying to have a balanced budget, but I don't think that's near enough. The .gov has to spend less than it brings in for a couple decades to get the debt paid off. That will never happen though since neither side wants to stop the entitlement programs. Going back decades the same thing has happened. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer, and the middle class shrinks. The .gov grows, the debt grows, the .gov makes everything it tries to make better worse. Regardless of which side is in power the same thing happens. What kind of credit rating do people expect with a 14 trillion dollar debt, high unemployment/underemployment and a .gov that makes starting or operating a small business far to difficult.
Well, they probably expect some logic to the downgrades. U.S. treasury bonds are still far and away the safest investment in the world, yet S&P sticks its neck out as the only ratings agency to downgrade us while affirming France a AAA/stable? Really...France > U.S. on bonds? You're going with that? Somebody is gonna plunk down their own money on that recommendation, and trust S&P's sage advice over every indicator screaming itself blue saying that is a really bad idea? There are hyenas laughing in every financial district in the world right now.

I used to work for S&P's parent McG-H in one of their insignificant zit ed. publishing arms. It is not surprising at all that they were the only one of the big 3 ratings racketeers to leap off the cliff on this, or that they did it in pathetically sports-blooper fashion with that multi-trillion dollar forget to carry the 1 error. It was a running meme corporate-wide that those analysts can't predict donuts to projected growth of their own left ass cheek. Management culture is "stupid is as stupid hires from the same Big Ten State U fraternity." They're different, and therefore "better" than Moodys because...see...hiring only C students who can't use Excel without Clippy turned on is a feature, not a bug. Moodys is a cesspit just like all of 'em, but they don't see this as a corporate cultural badge of honor like S&P does. S&P is truly, truly special in that regard. And if that doesn't scare the living shit out of every country in the developed world, it... Oh wait, S&P's ineptitude DOES scare the shit out of every country in the developed world. Because they're just that much stupider than the other two ratings giants. And are...right...about...now...going to shit their pants in realization that nobody else joined them in their daring game of follow the leader. All I can say is thank my own sanity the publishing folks may as well have been in a parallel universe culturally in that company as far as what "features" got valued.

Just my nugget of local color to contribute to this.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

http://washingtonexaminer.com/recovery- ... le/2532778

♫ But we've got high hopes, we've got high hopes
♫ We've got high apple pie, in the sky hopes. . .

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

http://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/201 ... -its-wages

Pfft! Who needs heat in the cold north when the exothermic output of digesting the night's last heat-lamp toasted Quarter Pounder sustains me like a warm fireplace.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:http://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/201 ... -its-wages

Pfft! Who needs heat in the cold north when the exothermic output of digesting the night's last heat-lamp toasted Quarter Pounder sustains me like a warm fireplace.
So food and clothing aren't expenses but part of the monthly discretionary spending? And if you work at McD's you need a second job? Maybe it's better for them if places like McD's don't highlight how inadequate their wages are …
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

And the latest group to declare themselves pre-Holocaust Jews? Rich people!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/2 ... 65676.html

Phew, thank goodness I'm not obscenely wealthy.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Starting to think rich people are just assfaced idiots with loads of money handed to them.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Chuck Mangione wrote:Starting to think rich people are just assfaced idiots with loads of money handed to them.
Good man.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I want to laugh, but this is so fucking ridiculous that I am spitting angry.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Chuck Mangione wrote:Starting to think rich people are just assfaced idiots with loads of money handed to them.
Starting?
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

tepista wrote:
Starting?
Well it's always been that way clearly but I'm just now really noticing it. Never really paid much attention to their faces until now. Sheldon Adelson, Donald Trump, Warren Buffett... all assish faces. It's eerie.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/14/investi ... ?hpt=hp_t1

I genuinely wonder if this guy is the bellweather for a new type of serial killer profile...like the "Clown Cannibal CEO" or something. I'm not even moved by the horrible things that keep spilling out of his mouth, just fascinated by the pathology behind it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/14/investi ... ?hpt=hp_t1

I genuinely wonder if this guy is the bellweather for a new type of serial killer profile...like the "Clown Cannibal CEO" or something. I'm not even moved by the horrible things that keep spilling out of his mouth, just fascinated by the pathology behind it.
I prefer my plutocrats nakedly evil, rather than the guys who pretend like they'd be okay to hang out with.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/14/investi ... ?hpt=hp_t1

I prefer my plutocrats nakedly evil, rather than the guys who pretend like they'd be okay to hang out with.
I love that this is being treated like a new idea, when rich assholes have been suggesting this from the dawn of representative government.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"