Rat Patrol wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 9:58am
Inder wrote:
07 Jan 2018, 11:17pm
Oprah would have won.
#ImWithHerToo #YassNewQween :twitch:

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/36791 ... er-hashtag
Have I ever told you I am friends with his daughter? :shifty:
Obligatory "all know each other" reference and I assume she isn't batshit and incompetent like her dad (or just batshit like her grandfather)?
Ha! I was her advisor when I volunteered for a student group when she was in college here in STL. She is very smart and very sweet. We did not talk politics.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Dictator observations thread.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 1:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 1:50pm
JennyB wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 1:47pm
Have I ever told you I am friends with his daughter? :shifty:
Obligatory "all know each other" reference and I assume she isn't batshit and incompetent like her dad (or just batshit like her grandfather)?
Ha! I was her advisor when I volunteered for a student group when she was in college here in STL. She is very smart and very sweet. We did not talk politics.
The old "skips a generation" phenomenon. I don't care for his politics one iota, but Irving Kristol was as important a public intellectual as any in the second half of the 20th c. The American right is a playground of drooling mouthbreathers now, but for a period in the 70s and 80s, he was key to actually making neoconservatism an intellectual force.

Bill Kristol, it cannot be emphasized enough, is five shades stupider than a nitwit.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I like Oprah just fine (actually, she's pretty incredible in many way), but I'm also into the idea of not electing any more millionaire television personalities to be President.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 2:17pm
I like Oprah just fine (actually, she's pretty incredible in many way), but I'm also into the idea of not electing any more millionaire television personalities to be President.
I agree with this post.

I also think we need a robot president. Or at least member of congress? DO EET.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
Ugh, I seriously disagree with you on Oprah. She used her show to promote all kinds of junk science and medicine and she was more than cool with music censorship when she covered those issues. Her constituency, at core, is the same as Hillary's—rich, coastal liberals, Hollywood. A better self-promoter and campaigner than Hillary, but you'd be getting the hideous Democrat crap that's been standard since Bill.

Edit: Also her horrible hyping of The Secret. That shit makes her more of a Trump fantasist that a Clintonite.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 4:49pm
Flex wrote:
Ugh, I seriously disagree with you on Oprah. She used her show to promote all kinds of junk science and medicine and she was more than cool with music censorship when she covered those issues. Her constituency, at core, is the same as Hillary's—rich, coastal liberals, Hollywood. A better self-promoter and campaigner than Hillary, but you'd be getting the hideous Democrat crap that's been standard since Bill.

Edit: Also her horrible hyping of The Secret. That shit makes her more of a Trump fantasist that a Clintonite.
Oprah? More like No Hope-rah!
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 2:19pm
Your sample reel for headline writer at Fox News is coming along nicely.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 2:25pm
Kory wrote:
I dunno. I should have gone with "Nope-rah."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 2:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 2:25pm
Kory wrote:
I dunno. I should have gone with "Nope-rah."
Nah, Fox News wants to be clever but just misses.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Her fault.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Re: Oprah, I was more referring to bringing some choice literary picks to folks through her book club, some good choices in film material, and her production company which has championed film directed by female POC (such as Selma). Radical black liberation it is not, but she seems like she's used her fairly immense wealth and power to create opportunities for talent that would probably have a harder time getting developed/hired. I don't think I've ever seen an episode of her TV show, so I can't really comment on it. I agree the pseudoscience nonsense is no bueno.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Likewise:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 3:02pm
Re: Oprah, I was more referring to bringing some choice literary picks to folks through her book club, some good choices in film material, and her production company which has championed film directed by female POC (such as Selma). Radical black liberation it is not, but she seems like she's used her fairly immense wealth and power to create opportunities for talent that would probably have a harder time getting developed/hired. I don't think I've ever seen an episode of her TV show, so I can't really comment on it. I agree the pseudoscience nonsense is no bueno.
I suppose, and I don't want to piss on either promoting literacy or applying one's wealth to giving people opportunities, but it's pretty boilerplate celebrity liberal activity. It's commendable but not exemplary either.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I don't want to bump Mensa Steve's odious Sept 11th thread, but I'm writing a lecture that covers the attacks. Several things have hit me. First, except for any "mature" students, none of my students will have a conscious memory of the attack, which seems impossible to me. Second, I really can't think of much to say about the day other than the blandest facts and some of my own memories (the rumours of other hijacked planes and more conventional attacks, the bleakest dread that some kind of reckoning was at hand). And third, I've gone back to look at footage of the second plane hitting—mind-numbing angles because by then everyone had their cameras trained on the area—and then the buildings collapsing—again, so many angles. The screams of disbelief from the onlookers is chilling. They're trying to process something that shouldn't be happening and yet the terrifying nature of physic writ large is playing out before them. Stranger yet, if anything, watching the footage now (minus the audio) feels detached from reality. It's too sensational, the narrative too bizarre. There's no way a fucking jet plane flew full speed into a building. There's no way these 100+ story buildings fell down like they were made of sand. This happened and I have a memory of it, but there's such a disconnect for me now, that this didn't actually happen. And I can only speak from that universalist or humanist angle—Americans have that extra level of assault on their identity that I can't know.

I've said before that if you have a conscious adult memory of something, it's never history, and this is proving the point (if only to me, perhaps).

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 7:10pm
I don't want to bump Mensa Steve's odious Sept 11th thread, but I'm writing a lecture that covers the attacks. Several things have hit me. First, except for any "mature" students, none of my students will have a conscious memory of the attack, which seems impossible to me. Second, I really can't think of much to say about the day other than the blandest facts and some of my own memories (the rumours of other hijacked planes and more conventional attacks, the bleakest dread that some kind of reckoning was at hand). And third, I've gone back to look at footage of the second plane hitting—mind-numbing angles because by then everyone had their cameras trained on the area—and then the buildings collapsing—again, so many angles. The screams of disbelief from the onlookers is chilling. They're trying to process something that shouldn't be happening and yet the terrifying nature of physic writ large is playing out before them. Stranger yet, if anything, watching the footage now (minus the audio) feels detached from reality. It's too sensational, the narrative too bizarre. There's no way a fucking jet plane flew full speed into a building. There's no way these 100+ story buildings fell down like they were made of sand. This happened and I have a memory of it, but there's such a disconnect for me now, that this didn't actually happen. And I can only speak from that universalist or humanist angle—Americans have that extra level of assault on their identity that I can't know.

I've said before that if you have a conscious adult memory of something, it's never history, and this is proving the point (if only to me, perhaps).
The time between the two planes was so weird because at first I thought "man, the pilot and co-pilot BOTH blacked out?"