Happy Hiroshima Day!

Politics and other such topical creams.
Post Reply
tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 31905
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: Happy Hiroshima Day!

Post by tepista » 20 Nov 2013, 1:03pm

Dr. Medulla wrote: I don't mess with those who are obviously my moral superiors based on where they spend their Sundays.
I've been spending mine at Buffalo Wild Wings.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 31905
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: Happy Hiroshima Day!

Post by tepista » 20 Nov 2013, 1:03pm

JennyB wrote:Hiroshima day is also my birthday. Do with that information what you will.
My co-worker too.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71137
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Happy Hiroshima Day!

Post by Dr. Medulla » 20 Nov 2013, 1:14pm

tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: I don't mess with those who are obviously my moral superiors based on where they spend their Sundays.
I've been spending mine at Buffalo Wild Wings.
You saying you're morally superior to wings?
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 22600
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: Carrboro/Alamut

Re: Happy Hiroshima Day!

Post by eumaas » 20 Nov 2013, 1:17pm

Silent Majority wrote:I love that nobody engaged with Steve's trolling.
Maybe because we can recognize a relative of the tu quoque fallacy.
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 31905
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: Happy Hiroshima Day!

Post by tepista » 20 Nov 2013, 1:27pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: I don't mess with those who are obviously my moral superiors based on where they spend their Sundays.
I've been spending mine at Buffalo Wild Wings.
You saying you're morally superior to wings?
Those Albany Tame Wings are crap.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49237
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Happy Hiroshima Day!

Post by Wolter » 20 Nov 2013, 2:34pm

tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: I don't mess with those who are obviously my moral superiors based on where they spend their Sundays.
I've been spending mine at Buffalo Wild Wings.
You saying you're morally superior to wings?
Those Albany Tame Wings are crap.
I prefer Utica Whimsical Wings.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71137
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Happy Hiroshima Day!

Post by Dr. Medulla » 20 Nov 2013, 2:39pm

Wolter wrote:
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: I don't mess with those who are obviously my moral superiors based on where they spend their Sundays.
I've been spending mine at Buffalo Wild Wings.
You saying you're morally superior to wings?
Those Albany Tame Wings are crap.
I prefer Utica Whimsical Wings.
Inder loves the McCartney Mediocre Wings.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71137
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Happy Hiroshima Day!

Post by Dr. Medulla » 22 Nov 2013, 10:18pm

Twelve papers graded on the US decision to use nuclear weapons in Japan; only two saw a distinction between the military and civilian populations in Japan. Perhaps no surprise, too, that those two students engaged in a helluva lot more research for their papers (both cited close to three times the minimum required sources). Most of the pro-bomb papers dismissed the idea of morality in wartime (some explicitly said this), which means, I suppose, we can dispense with the idea of war crimes. Anything goes, except when it's the Germans or Japanese or Russians or Italians—then it's savagery. It really is quite depressing that very little reflection went into this topic.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Rat Patrol
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 14580
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 9:23pm
Location: A flat burning junkheap for twenty square miles

Re: Happy Hiroshima Day!

Post by Rat Patrol » 23 Nov 2013, 2:42am

Dr. Medulla wrote:Twelve papers graded on the US decision to use nuclear weapons in Japan; only two saw a distinction between the military and civilian populations in Japan. Perhaps no surprise, too, that those two students engaged in a helluva lot more research for their papers (both cited close to three times the minimum required sources). Most of the pro-bomb papers dismissed the idea of morality in wartime (some explicitly said this), which means, I suppose, we can dispense with the idea of war crimes. Anything goes, except when it's the Germans or Japanese or Russians or Italians—then it's savagery. It really is quite depressing that very little reflection went into this topic.
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
Image

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71137
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Happy Hiroshima Day!

Post by Dr. Medulla » 23 Nov 2013, 7:14am

Rat Patrol wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Twelve papers graded on the US decision to use nuclear weapons in Japan; only two saw a distinction between the military and civilian populations in Japan. Perhaps no surprise, too, that those two students engaged in a helluva lot more research for their papers (both cited close to three times the minimum required sources). Most of the pro-bomb papers dismissed the idea of morality in wartime (some explicitly said this), which means, I suppose, we can dispense with the idea of war crimes. Anything goes, except when it's the Germans or Japanese or Russians or Italians—then it's savagery. It really is quite depressing that very little reflection went into this topic.
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
Not even when Henry Truman became president after Theodore Roosevelt died.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71137
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Happy Hiroshima Day!

Post by Dr. Medulla » 04 Nov 2014, 3:26pm

One year later and another round of term papers have arrived on my desk. Fourteen of thirty-eight are on whether nuclear weapons were justified. I told the prof that I'm expecting to feel sad as I consider the moral core of twenty-somethings.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 19915
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: Happy Hiroshima Day!

Post by matedog » 05 Aug 2015, 3:57pm

http://www.salon.com/2015/08/05/america ... r_partner/

Naturally the comments are all awful.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71137
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Happy Hiroshima Day!

Post by Dr. Medulla » 05 Aug 2015, 4:12pm

Y'know, from 1945 and well into the 1960s, possibly 1970s, discussions about Hiroshima and the Holocaust usually occurred in tandem, realizing a shared mindset that justified the mass murder of civilians for a greater good and an application of advanced science and technology, previously regarded as the tools of social progress, to commit the deed. I'm not sure when the divorce happened, but while people still understand the Holocaust as a monstrous evil, somehow Hiroshima and Nagasaki have largely been removed from moral consideration. What's scarier to me is that my suspicion is that this isn't due to a reconsideration of the differences between the two acts than a simple Nazis were evil while the Allies were good guys. Which means that we could justify genocide as long as it's done by good guys. That's staring into the abyss territory.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

biopunk
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 2666
Joined: 23 Aug 2009, 3:04am
Location: The Mountainous End of Canada

Re: Happy Hiroshima Day!

Post by biopunk » 06 Aug 2015, 8:25am

So how would you have ended the war, oh great source of wisdom and moral superiority? :rolleyes:
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 12595
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: Happy Hiroshima Day!

Post by Silent Majority » 06 Aug 2015, 8:40am

Medulla take your hippy "not nuking women and children" bullshit outta here.
'But also: hey dude, you can just go looking for more glasses. They're all free now. '

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests