Happy Hiroshima Day!

Politics and other such topical creams.
matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 19885
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: Happy Hiroshima Day!

Post by matedog » 23 May 2016, 4:45pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:You know who found the Bomb to be an unnecessary barbarity? Stalin.
There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc.
This is worthy of internet applause.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49222
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Happy Hiroshima Day!

Post by Wolter » 23 May 2016, 5:36pm

matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:You know who found the Bomb to be an unnecessary barbarity? Stalin.
There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc.
This is worthy of internet applause.
Seconded.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

BostonBeaneater
User avatar
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel
Posts: 6849
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:24pm
Location: Between the moon and New York City

Re: Happy Hiroshima Day!

Post by BostonBeaneater » 23 May 2016, 5:43pm

Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:You know who found the Bomb to be an unnecessary barbarity? Stalin.
There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc.
This is worthy of internet applause.
Seconded.
Well, you can't heard the individual screams of terror with the a-bomb. It just kind of muddles together.
Image

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71084
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Happy Hiroshima Day!

Post by Dr. Medulla » 23 May 2016, 5:51pm

Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:You know who found the Bomb to be an unnecessary barbarity? Stalin.
There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc.
This is worthy of internet applause.
Seconded.
For a nanosecond, I was a cyber god.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49222
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Happy Hiroshima Day!

Post by Wolter » 23 May 2016, 6:23pm

BostonBeaneater wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:You know who found the Bomb to be an unnecessary barbarity? Stalin.
There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc.
This is worthy of internet applause.
Seconded.
Well, you can't heard the individual screams of terror with the a-bomb. It just kind of muddles together.
Neil Young is working on a Pono-Bomb that will destroy a city as quickly as Nagasaki, but with the personal, warm analog feel of the Dresden bombing.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25002
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: Happy Hiroshima Day!

Post by Flex » 23 May 2016, 6:24pm

Wolter wrote:Neil Young is working on a Pono-Bomb that will destroy a city as quickly as Nagasaki, but with the personal, warm analog feel of the Dresden bombing.
WHERE DO I SIGN UP FOR THE KICKSTARTER
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71084
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Happy Hiroshima Day!

Post by Dr. Medulla » 23 May 2016, 6:27pm

Wolter wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc.
This is worthy of internet applause.
Seconded.
Well, you can't heard the individual screams of terror with the a-bomb. It just kind of muddles together.
Neil Young is working on a Pono-Bomb that will destroy a city as quickly as Nagasaki, but with the personal, warm analog feel of the Dresden bombing.
Extra bonus points for NY being as crazy about his technology (and the Satanic nature of anything else digital) as the architects of MAD were about theirs.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 15369
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: Happy Hiroshima Day!

Post by JennyB » 24 May 2016, 9:55am

You know what else people don't talk about? The long-term ramifications of the Manhattan project in communities in these here Younited States. Remember that smoldering landfill that's right next to a landfill with nuclear waste here in 'Jortsville? That nuclear waste was illegally dumped there after WWII. It actually had several dumping stops along the way. And they wonder why there are clusters of rare cancers in north St. Louis County...
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25002
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: Happy Hiroshima Day!

Post by Flex » 24 May 2016, 10:53am

JennyB wrote:You know what else people don't talk about? The long-term ramifications of the Manhattan project in communities in these here Younited States. Remember that smoldering landfill that's right next to a landfill with nuclear waste here in 'Jortsville? That nuclear waste was illegally dumped there after WWII. It actually had several dumping stops along the way. And they wonder why there are clusters of rare cancers in north St. Louis County...
Jesus. I admit, I didn't know or remember that connection. Yeah, turns out nuclear weapons have a bunch of horrible unintended side effects. Who'da thunk it?
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49222
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Happy Hiroshima Day!

Post by Wolter » 24 May 2016, 10:56am

Flex wrote:
JennyB wrote:You know what else people don't talk about? The long-term ramifications of the Manhattan project in communities in these here Younited States. Remember that smoldering landfill that's right next to a landfill with nuclear waste here in 'Jortsville? That nuclear waste was illegally dumped there after WWII. It actually had several dumping stops along the way. And they wonder why there are clusters of rare cancers in north St. Louis County...
Jesus. I admit, I didn't know or remember that connection. Yeah, turns out nuclear weapons have a bunch of horrible unintended side effects. Who'da thunk it?
Holy crap, I didn't know that either.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71084
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Happy Hiroshima Day!

Post by Dr. Medulla » 24 May 2016, 11:32am

Back when we lived in NC, my parents came down for a visit and we went on various drives throughout the countryside. On one of those, there was a story on the radio that South Carolina was actively seeking other states' nuclear and other toxic waste, which it planned on just disposing in the swamps. B and I were aghast. My social democrat mother was aghast. My small-c conservative father thought it a smart idea, that the people in government were smart and responsible enough not to do anything reckless. It took the Watergate tapes before my dad accepted Nixon was a thug because, in his view, anyone who rises to the level of significant state or federal government must be smart and honourable. He was bloody naive on so many things because he assumed that other people were as ethical as he was.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 22595
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: Carrboro/Alamut

Re: Happy Hiroshima Day!

Post by eumaas » 24 May 2016, 11:37am

as the conversation has moved, here's this:
http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/ ... uis-slotin
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71084
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Happy Hiroshima Day!

Post by Dr. Medulla » 24 May 2016, 11:53am

eumaas wrote:as the conversation has moved, here's this:
http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/ ... uis-slotin
I assume that was the historical basis for the scene in Fat Man and Little Boy, where John Cusack's character is bombarded by radiation while playing with plutonium. Yay Canada!
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

BostonBeaneater
User avatar
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel
Posts: 6849
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:24pm
Location: Between the moon and New York City

Re: Happy Hiroshima Day!

Post by BostonBeaneater » 24 May 2016, 12:08pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
eumaas wrote:as the conversation has moved, here's this:
http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/ ... uis-slotin
I assume that was the historical basis for the scene in Fat Man and Little Boy, where John Cusack's character is bombarded by radiation while playing with plutonium. Yay Canada!
If we had nuked, say, Toronto and it only cost us Buffalo and Rochester do you think we'd be having this debate?
Image

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71084
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Happy Hiroshima Day!

Post by Dr. Medulla » 24 May 2016, 12:16pm

BostonBeaneater wrote:If we had nuked, say, Toronto and it only cost us Buffalo and Rochester do you think we'd be having this debate?
Leafs and Bills fans whining about playoff failures would be more limited.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests