Happy Hiroshima Day!

Politics and other such topical creams.
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: Happy Hiroshima Day!

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:If we had nuked, say, Toronto and it only cost us Buffalo and Rochester do you think we'd be having this debate?
Leafs and Bills fans whining about playoff failures would be more limited.
only more limited...

we're gonna need a bigger bomb.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Gave my last lecture of the course tonight, on World War II, which ended with a discussion of the use of nuclear weapons on Japan. I laid out the various arguments for and against that most historians have used, and closed with my own position that we are moral actors and that if we are to use morality in condemning American slavery or the Holocaust—as most do—then there is a disconnect in not applying morality to Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Moreover, if you think the use of such weapons are legitimate against civilians, then you have to concede that if the Nazis had used them against the Jews, it would have been legitimate. Further yet, you're straying into the area validating the Holocaust—ends just the means. My point, I said, wasn't to take a pacifist position, but that unless you're making a tribalist argument—whatever my side does is good, whatever my enemy does is bad—these are the implications of defending military action on civilians. In all honestly, I don't think I've ever held a class' attention like that. I didn't detect any contemptuous looks in the crowd, which surprised me (there's plenty of military history students in our program).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Apr 2017, 9:47pm
Gave my last lecture of the course tonight, on World War II, which ended with a discussion of the use of nuclear weapons on Japan. I laid out the various arguments for and against that most historians have used, and closed with my own position that we are moral actors and that if we are to use morality in condemning American slavery or the Holocaust—as most do—then there is a disconnect in not applying morality to Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Moreover, if you think the use of such weapons are legitimate against civilians, then you have to concede that if the Nazis had used them against the Jews, it would have been legitimate. Further yet, you're straying into the area validating the Holocaust—ends just the means. My point, I said, wasn't to take a pacifist position, but that unless you're making a tribalist argument—whatever my side does is good, whatever my enemy does is bad—these are the implications of defending military action on civilians. In all honestly, I don't think I've ever held a class' attention like that. I didn't detect any contemptuous looks in the crowd, which surprised me (there's plenty of military history students in our program).
Sounds pretty awesome.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Would have loved to have been there.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Thanks, fellers. Slight aside: I mentioned to my TA, who is a military historian, what I was going to talk about. He sniffed that he'll have to repair the damage in a future class. Um, yeah, dude, you do that. Part of his justification is that his grandfather would have been part of the invasion of mainland Japan and might have been killed if not for the atomic bombs. 200K+ dead civilians, more permanently maimed, children born with birth defects. You'd better be a fucking amazing human being to think that that trade was fair.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

matedog wrote:
06 Aug 2015, 10:15am
biopunk wrote:
matedog wrote:
biopunk wrote:So how would you have ended the war, oh great source of wisdom and moral superiority? :rolleyes:
It's pretty well covered in the earlier pages of this thread. As well as the article I just posted.
I can see neither Neil's or James' position for their morally superior, hypothetical, non-nuclear outcome to WW2 in this thread.

Care to quote those out, matedog?
You don't sound terribly open to opinions that differ from your own, but I'll play along:
http://clashcity.com/boards/viewtopic.p ... 45#p208202

From the article,
In fact, six of the seven five-star generals and admirals of that time believed that there was no reason to use them, that the Japanese were already defeated, knew it, and were likely to surrender before any American invasion could be launched.
etc.

Basically, conditional surrender was an option, which is what we accepted anyway, so the use of the atomic bombs to eviscerate innocent civilians was unnecessary. The Slate article makes an interesting (and questionable) point that Truman's decision to use the bomb was more about expediting the end of the war such that Soviets would gain less control over parts of Europe and Asia as well as showing off our nuclear capabilities in preparation for the impending Cold War.
Reread this whole thread today to refresh my memory on some details and totally forgot about this dude. Looks like he was a regular poster up until 2015. I don't remember him being particularly shitty elsewhere, but I may be wrong. He also never responded to my sincere response to his insincere questions which is unsurprising.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
09 Aug 2021, 3:54pm
Reread this whole thread today to refresh my memory on some details and totally forgot about this dude. Looks like he was a regular poster up until 2015. I don't remember him being particularly shitty elsewhere, but I may be wrong. He also never responded to my sincere response to his insincere questions which is unsurprising.
I think I'm still mutuals with him on Twitter. If he is who i think he is, he gives me shit for liking none-first/second wave ska all the time.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
09 Aug 2021, 3:57pm
matedog wrote:
I think I'm still mutuals with him on Twitter. If he is who i think he is, he gives me shit for liking none-first/second wave ska all the time.
I was asking if he did anything shitty, not justifiable.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

He was kind of a strange dude in that he could be very friendly and generous—unbidden, he PM'd to share some boots with me—and then get super angry over more political things. I think he got pissed off at the Riot Grrrl claim—well, assertion of fact!—that hardcore was generally unwelcoming to women and even physically dangerous. I think he also had strong opinions on the Charlie Hebdo attack. Strange fellow.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

matedog wrote:
So how would you have ended the war, .....?

Ohh! I know, I know! You have a private movie screening in France and invite Hitler, but then it's an ambush and Brad Pitt shoots him the head and then the hot blonde who was Anne Franke'd 10 years earlier sets the whole place on fire! To the tune of David Bowie's "Cat People", no less!
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Apr 2017, 7:30am
Thanks, fellers. Slight aside: I mentioned to my TA, who is a military historian, what I was going to talk about. He sniffed that he'll have to repair the damage in a future class. Um, yeah, dude, you do that. Part of his justification is that his grandfather would have been part of the invasion of mainland Japan and might have been killed if not for the atomic bombs. 200K+ dead civilians, more permanently maimed, children born with birth defects. You'd better be a fucking amazing human being to think that that trade was fair.
Atrocities committed by the allies get completely overlooked in general. Plenty of evidence that American and Soviet soldiers raped german women and children during the invasion of Germany.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

RockNRollWhore wrote:
09 Aug 2021, 8:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Atrocities committed by the allies get completely overlooked in general. Plenty of evidence that American and Soviet soldiers raped german women and children during the invasion of Germany.
What happened to German civilians in the east was monstrous. The Americans, Canadians, and British weren't saints by any means, but the Russians were outright vengeful and cruel. I get it on one level, given the millions of Soviet dead, but, consistent with the arguments in this thread, civilians aren't soldiers and shouldn't be regarded as targets in any way.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I missed this post earlier but my mom says the same thing about my grandfather. Apparently it’s a common thought among those who fought in the Pacific.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
09 Aug 2021, 8:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I missed this post earlier but my mom says the same thing about my grandfather. Apparently it’s a common thought among those who fought in the Pacific.
I understand the sentiment. But I think of Saving Private Ryan, the epitome of Greatest Generation war flicks, where the final takeaway, as Tom Hanks is dying, he tells Matt Damon to earn it. That is, all these people have died for you, so be a good person. The same thing applies to those whose lives were hypothetically spared by the incineration and ruin of tens of thousands of civilians who, in the vast majority of cases, did nothing to deserve to die or be mutilated. They were sacrificed to save soldiers lives and at the very least deserve to be acknowledged with something more than "hey, war is war." Even if I don't expect most people to agree with my position, I do think some reflection needs to be applied to evaluating what Hiroshima and Nagasaki mean. That's what's so disappointing—the thought doesn't go beyond the immediate interests.