Happy Hiroshima Day!

Politics and other such topical creams.
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: Happy Hiroshima Day!

Post by BostonBeaneater » 24 May 2016, 12:56pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:If we had nuked, say, Toronto and it only cost us Buffalo and Rochester do you think we'd be having this debate?
Leafs and Bills fans whining about playoff failures would be more limited.
only more limited...

we're gonna need a bigger bomb.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 07 Apr 2017, 9:47pm

Gave my last lecture of the course tonight, on World War II, which ended with a discussion of the use of nuclear weapons on Japan. I laid out the various arguments for and against that most historians have used, and closed with my own position that we are moral actors and that if we are to use morality in condemning American slavery or the Holocaust—as most do—then there is a disconnect in not applying morality to Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Moreover, if you think the use of such weapons are legitimate against civilians, then you have to concede that if the Nazis had used them against the Jews, it would have been legitimate. Further yet, you're straying into the area validating the Holocaust—ends just the means. My point, I said, wasn't to take a pacifist position, but that unless you're making a tribalist argument—whatever my side does is good, whatever my enemy does is bad—these are the implications of defending military action on civilians. In all honestly, I don't think I've ever held a class' attention like that. I didn't detect any contemptuous looks in the crowd, which surprised me (there's plenty of military history students in our program).
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen

Post by Wolter » 07 Apr 2017, 11:31pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Apr 2017, 9:47pm
Gave my last lecture of the course tonight, on World War II, which ended with a discussion of the use of nuclear weapons on Japan. I laid out the various arguments for and against that most historians have used, and closed with my own position that we are moral actors and that if we are to use morality in condemning American slavery or the Holocaust—as most do—then there is a disconnect in not applying morality to Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Moreover, if you think the use of such weapons are legitimate against civilians, then you have to concede that if the Nazis had used them against the Jews, it would have been legitimate. Further yet, you're straying into the area validating the Holocaust—ends just the means. My point, I said, wasn't to take a pacifist position, but that unless you're making a tribalist argument—whatever my side does is good, whatever my enemy does is bad—these are the implications of defending military action on civilians. In all honestly, I don't think I've ever held a class' attention like that. I didn't detect any contemptuous looks in the crowd, which surprised me (there's plenty of military history students in our program).
Sounds pretty awesome.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority » 08 Apr 2017, 6:07am

Would have loved to have been there.
'But also: hey dude, you can just go looking for more glasses. They're all free now. '

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 08 Apr 2017, 7:30am

Thanks, fellers. Slight aside: I mentioned to my TA, who is a military historian, what I was going to talk about. He sniffed that he'll have to repair the damage in a future class. Um, yeah, dude, you do that. Part of his justification is that his grandfather would have been part of the invasion of mainland Japan and might have been killed if not for the atomic bombs. 200K+ dead civilians, more permanently maimed, children born with birth defects. You'd better be a fucking amazing human being to think that that trade was fair.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater » 19 Apr 2017, 12:36pm