Page 1 of 21

Police Misconduct: Tracked

Posted: 28 Jul 2010, 12:43am
by Flex
It's an imperfect method, but the results gathered are still pretty danged interesting:

Image
The National Police Misconduct Statistics and Reporting Project (NPMSRP) was started in March of 2009 as a method of recording and analyzing police misconduct in the United States through the utilization of news media reports to generate statistical and trending information about police misconduct in the United States.

As part of this project, credible reported incidents of misconduct are aggregated into a publicly available news feed and then added into an off-line database where duplicate entries and updates are removed and remaining unique stories are categorized for the statistical information which is presented in this report.

While the use of news reports to generate statistical data may seem strange, keep in mind that police departments do not normally release any detailed information about disciplinary matters, and sometimes they don’t release any information at all. The use of court records by themselves would only garner information about misconduct cases that were successfully prosecuted and would miss confidential settlements and cases of misconduct that were not prosecuted but did result in internal disciplinary action. Therefore, the use of media reports, while not perfect, represents the most efficient method of data gathering available at this time.
Lot's more here: http://www.injusticeeverywhere.com/?p=2776

According to this, the police sexually assault people at a higher rate than the general public. Does this count as appropriately FUN for these boards?

Re: Police Misconduct: Tracked

Posted: 28 Jul 2010, 12:41pm
by Spiff
So, high-density population centers have the worst cops, or North Dakota cops are just nicer? :shifty:

Re: Police Misconduct: Tracked

Posted: 28 Jul 2010, 12:43pm
by Flex
Spiff wrote:So, high-density population centers have the worst cops, or North Dakota cops are just nicer? :shifty:
Well, there are more cops in high-density population centers, so more chance for abuse. Also, I guess when there's only one person every billion miles or so - like in NoDak - it takes a lot of time for the cops to go from person to person and abuse them.

Re: Police Misconduct: Tracked

Posted: 28 Jul 2010, 12:43pm
by matedog
Some of Arizona looks a little suspicious.

Re: Police Misconduct: Tracked

Posted: 28 Jul 2010, 12:43pm
by Dr. Medulla
Flex wrote:
Spiff wrote:So, high-density population centers have the worst cops, or North Dakota cops are just nicer? :shifty:
Well, there are more cops in high-density population centers, so more chance for abuse. Also, I guess when there's only one person every billion miles or so - like in NoDak - it takes a lot of time for the cops to go from person to person and abuse them.
More nowhere for the bodies to disappear into, too.

Re: Police Misconduct: Tracked

Posted: 28 Jul 2010, 12:58pm
by HaydenWar
The only red area in PA is a county of somewhere around 85,000 people and nowhere near the major cities :twitch:

Re: Police Misconduct: Tracked

Posted: 28 Jul 2010, 12:58pm
by Wolter
HaydenWar wrote:The only red area in PA is a county of somewhere around 85,000 people and nowhere near the major cities :twitch:
The Sanctum Santorum?

Re: Police Misconduct: Tracked

Posted: 28 Jul 2010, 3:06pm
by Spiff
Flex wrote:
Spiff wrote:So, high-density population centers have the worst cops, or North Dakota cops are just nicer? :shifty:
Well, there are more cops in high-density population centers, so more chance for abuse. Also, I guess when there's only one person every billion miles or so - like in NoDak - it takes a lot of time for the cops to go from person to person and abuse them.
That's exactly my point. Because this map doesn't take into account population density (and therefore, as you point out, cop density), it's just essentially plotting the high-population density areas of the U.S.

Show me a map of abuses per capita, or abuses divided by the number of cops in a defined area (county or ZIP Code), and then that will tell me if there is a higher percent of "thumpers" among cops in NYC or in NoDak.

It's all about percentages, man...

Re: Police Misconduct: Tracked

Posted: 28 Jul 2010, 3:09pm
by Flex
Spiff wrote:That's exactly my point. Because this map doesn't take into account population density (and therefore, as you point out, cop density), it's just essentially plotting the high-population density areas of the U.S.

Show me a map of abuses per capita, or abuses divided by the number of cops in a defined area (county or ZIP Code), and then that will tell me if there is a higher percent of "thumpers" among cops in NYC or in NoDak.

It's all about percentages, man...
That map is provided if you follow the link, along with a wealth of further data. I just posted the first map on the page.

Re: Police Misconduct: Tracked

Posted: 28 Jul 2010, 3:51pm
by Spiff
Flex wrote:
Spiff wrote:That's exactly my point. Because this map doesn't take into account population density (and therefore, as you point out, cop density), it's just essentially plotting the high-population density areas of the U.S.

Show me a map of abuses per capita, or abuses divided by the number of cops in a defined area (county or ZIP Code), and then that will tell me if there is a higher percent of "thumpers" among cops in NYC or in NoDak.

It's all about percentages, man...
That map is provided if you follow the link, along with a wealth of further data. I just posted the first map on the page.
Lazy, filthy, robot!




:mrgreen:

Re: Police Misconduct: Tracked

Posted: 28 Jul 2010, 4:07pm
by Rat Patrol
Judging by that lone Northeast blotch of orange in Middlesex County I'm gonna chalk that up to you can't turn off your inner Masshole driver even when you're an on-duty state trooper. Rush hour on 128 transcends the thin blue line.

Re: Police Misconduct: Tracked

Posted: 28 Jul 2010, 5:01pm
by eumaas
What we need is a federal agency making sure everyone gets equally abused.

Re: Police Misconduct: Tracked

Posted: 28 Jul 2010, 5:18pm
by Dr. Medulla
eumaas wrote:What we need is a federal agency making sure everyone gets equally abused.
Cue a right-wing libertarian rant about paying more taxes than anyone in history, or how not being able to wave a pistol during a parent-teacher interview proves that Obama is worse than Hitler.

Re: Police Misconduct: Tracked

Posted: 28 Jul 2010, 5:22pm
by Flex
Dr. Medulla wrote:
eumaas wrote:What we need is a federal agency making sure everyone gets equally abused.
Cue a right-wing libertarian rant about paying more taxes than anyone in history, or how not being able to wave a pistol during a parent-teacher interview proves that Obama is worse than fun.
Maybe those uppity teachers wouldn't be teaching my kid Satan's Science if I could shove a shotgun in their faces...

Re: Police Misconduct: Tracked

Posted: 28 Jul 2010, 5:26pm
by Dr. Medulla
Inder's getting cute.