Police Misconduct: Tracked

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Police Misconduct: Tracked

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/13/us/tulsa- ... index.html

This Tulsa fiasco gets even better. If you're a 1%'er, apparently your "honorary deputy for a day" plastic badge comes with a real Glock and no training. Like when Shaq does a patrol ride-a-long, only whiter and psychopathier. X(
Eliminate the guy being killed, and this is hilarious corruption. So, instead it's just appalling corruption.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/13/us/tulsa- ... index.html

This Tulsa fiasco gets even better. If you're a 1%'er, apparently your "honorary deputy for a day" plastic badge comes with a real Glock and no training. Like when Shaq does a patrol ride-a-long, only whiter and psychopathier. X(
Eliminate the guy being killed, and this is hilarious corruption. So, instead it's just appalling corruption.
But wait, it gets worse. Or better. Or whatever.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/courts/s ... c6c04.html

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I just can't understand why resentment towards the police and justice system grows: http://gawker.com/baltimore-held-more-t ... 1701153489

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

What the hell was with the news conference today? This long and all we get is that there was an additional stop?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:What the hell was with the news conference today? This long and all we get is that there was an additional stop?
Crafting a cover up isn't something that can just be done willy nilly, boy. All the interested parties have to be consulted and a consensus reached on why the police did nothing wrong.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/05/12/wi ... acial-man/
Madison, WI wrote:We want civil strife in our streets too!!!
X(

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Rat Patrol wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/05/12/wi ... acial-man/
X(
Can't they charge him for half murder? The kid was half white, after all.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/05/12/wi ... acial-man/
X(
Can't they charge him for half murder? The kid was half white, after all.
Sarah Silverman: "I dated a guy who was half-black, but he dumped me because I'm such a loser. Wow, I shouldn't say things like that. I'm such a pessimist—he's actually half-white."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

So, this happened yesterday when the rabbinic intern from my office and I were walking back to work from getting coffee. She is a much better writer than I, so I will just post what she wrote on FB. But I will say that this guy was such a colossal asshole and I shudder to think what would have happened to us if we were black:

"Today I had a really upsetting encounter with a police officer who tried really hard to make me feel very small and very stupid and he didn't succeed but I nonetheless was totally shaken for several hours.

This happened because Jen B. and I stopped to monitor a "stop and frisk" and this made the officer very angry. And we were perfectly within our rights, not to mention trying to be good neighbors to this man who was being humiliated (who was let go without incident as we watched), and we were very polite, but that did not prevent the officer from escalating things WITH US, arguing as we tried to leave in an attempt to make us tell him that "what [you] just did was wrong and dangerous."

I tell this story though I am worried it detracts from the focus on Black Lives Mattering. And because I am hyper-aware that if I were black and I had engaged this way, I could quite possibly be dead and most certainly would be in jail. Which is the very reason that I did choose to engage. Because in my snap judgement it felt necessary to use white privilege in this exact moment to hopefully help my neighbor, no matter the outcome, which I knew would almost certainly not end in my bodily harm.
And because, to be very frank, if this were happening to any of my Black friends or family, I desperately hope someone would stop and look out for them.
Problem is, I forgot about the nasty side of sexism that is served with the dish of challenging oppression. So I guess I needed to be reminded that state violence is rooted in patriarchy in addition to deep racism--and that women of color get both types of abuse, as the incident in McKinney so sickeningly illustrates.

And I want you all to know this particular incident mirrors EVERY single interaction I have had with St. Louis City and County police while doing human rights monitoring. They call me "young lady" and question whether my parents know where I am. Then, if they realize (which often they refuse to) that I am in fact an adult with (technically) the right to be present anywhere I damn well please, they pivot to shaming me as stupid, uninformed, naive, or as this Captain called me today, "A bright eyed young lady who could have put yourself in real danger just now."

The definition of mansplaining, or whitesplaining, or any of the ilk, is that the 'splainer keeps trying to explain the thing to a person who clearly does not need an explanation. Who clearly has a firm grasp on the information just fine, thanks, and who may even in fact be an expert on said information. But the 'splainer cannot see or much less acknowledge that such a person could in fact be an expert on anything.

Or as I finally told this officer, "With all due respect, Sir, I do not appreciate your repeated assumptions that I do not know what I am talking about. In fact, I know quite a lot more than you seem to think I do, and quite a lot particularly about my right to document your actions, and while we can agree to disagree, I refuse to tell you what you keep insisting I say, which is that I think what I did just now was wrong. Because I do not believe that, and what I did just now was right for me."
I've been shaking with anger all day but I prayed this evening and here is what I remembered, to paraphrase lots of great writers:
They can take everything except your right to think for yourself. And if they can't take that, you're already free."
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

You guys have stop and frisk in the Lou?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

matedog wrote:You guys have stop and frisk in the Lou?
Not officially.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

JennyB wrote:
Not officially.
*Most* places don't "officially" have S&F. Because it's easier to do off-books and with few people Who Matter™ talking about it if it's not a codified ordinance. New York having an official policy and long-raging public controversy over that official policy just ensures that the next-tier big cities "fix the glitch" on that whole policy disclosure thing.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Rat Patrol wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Not officially.
*Most* places don't "officially" have S&F. Because it's easier to do off-books and with few people Who Matter™ talking about it if it's not a codified ordinance. New York having an official policy and long-raging public controversy over that official policy just ensures that the next-tier big cities "fix the glitch" on that whole policy disclosure thing.
They should have implemented the Chicago policy of "Cops do what they want and people get angry, but nothing ever changes."

Of late, I've seen a lot of liberals on Twitter blaming Republicans for police brutality, but Chicago has been a Democratic fiefdom for nearly a century, and they've definitely done fuck all to reign in the brutality.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Jeebus, quite the story Mrs. B.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!