No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Spiff wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 11:17am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 9:36am
This isn't to say that I think this is what Kelly was talking about—his other, um, dubious comments about historical thinking and Lee tell me he's going the racist route of the Civil War being a white tragedy—but dismissing compromise out of hand as ludicrous seems more than a bit of an over-reaction rooted in present politics.
All good points, but your last paragraph that I've quoted above tells me that I've made the correct judgement of Kelly when I assert that the "compromise" that Kelly was referring to ain't the kind of compromise that you were referring to.

He's a racist making a racist judgement.
Yeah, reading between the lines and all that, I think the failure of compromise he's alluding to is the supposed failure of the North to just let Southerners be Southerners, drinking mint juleps and being all genteel and all that. My curiosity is with the historians; Kelly can go pound sand.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

All kinds of disgusting here, from the white girl's intimidation tactics (putting it mildly) to the university trying to hush everything up and then acting like it was seeking to be responsible from the start, once shit went public.
https://www.theroot.com/disgusting-univ ... 1820036536
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 4:40pm
All kinds of disgusting here, from the white girl's intimidation tactics (putting it mildly) to the university trying to hush everything up and then acting like it was seeking to be responsible from the start, once shit went public.
Truly disgusting without the racism. Just a vile thing to do

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Also, who does this? Like, who even thinks to do this?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

JennyB wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 10:27am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Her hometown of Harwinton (2 rural shitholes over from my hometown) is pretty much the exploding woodland meth shack capital of Connecticut. Extremely white and extremely damaged. I took one look at the mugshot and said "Oh, def Litchfield County." All the players on their HS basketball team look like 35-year-olds with latent cirrhosis who hate life itself.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
L7?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 12:38pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
L7?
That was a feminist statement, not a racist intimidation act!
Got a Rake? Sure!

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
She's a pig.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 1:11pm
Marky Dread wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
L7?
Oh sure I'm not suggesting it has anything whatsoever to do with racism. It's just a vile thing to do and I can't agree about it being a feminist act as she threw a used tampon into a huge crowd of people and it could've hit a man/woman or child.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 1:34pm
JennyB wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
L7?
Oh sure I'm not suggesting it has anything whatsoever to do with racism. It's just a vile thing to do and I can't agree about it being a feminist act as she threw a used tampon into a huge crowd of people and it could've hit a man/woman or child.
I know - it was gross.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 1:52pm
Marky Dread wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
JennyB wrote:

L7?
I know - it was gross.
I know also as I witnessed it. Luckily I wasn't drunk enough to try and catch it. Plus I was far enough away for it not too reach me. It was a silly thing to do and I really liked them they were one of the best all girl groups since the Slits who really had the chance to get a strong feminst message across.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 2:00pm
JennyB wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

L7?
I know - it was gross.
I know also as I witnessed it. Luckily I wasn't drunk enough to try and catch it. Plus I was far enough away for it not too reach me. It was a silly thing to do and I really liked them they were one of the best all girl groups since the Slits who really had the chance to get a strong feminst message across.
I was front row at a PIL concert and Lydon pulled a tampon out of his butt. People actually scrambled for it. I held out for the setlist.

I thought L7 were OK, but my favorite Riot Grrl group is Babes in Toyland. L7 were a bit too much on the metal side for me.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 3:39pm
Marky Dread wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
JennyB wrote:

I know - it was gross.
I was front row at a PIL concert and Lydon pulled a tampon out of his butt. People actually scrambled for it. I held out for the setlist.

I thought L7 were OK, but my favorite Riot Grrl group is Babes in Toyland. L7 were a bit too much on the metal side for me.
Yes I agree about being "too metal" but they had managed to hit the mainstream with "Pterend Your Dead" and that was a good platform to build on promoting more female groups. Babes in Toyland were fabulous.

As for Lydon :meh: Was it after the L7 thing and his idea of a joke or a re-butt-al.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 3:52pm
JennyB wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I know - it was gross.

Yes I agree about being "too metal" but they had managed to hit the mainstream with "Pterend Your Dead" and that was a good platform to build on promoting more female groups. Babes in Toyland were fabulous.

As for Lydon :meh: Was it after the L7 thing and his idea of a joke or a re-butt-al.
I think it was a couple of years before - it was 1992, and wasn't the L7 thing in 94 or 95?
Got a Rake? Sure!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 4:22pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 3:52pm
JennyB wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
JennyB wrote:

I know - it was gross.

I think it was a couple of years before - it was 1992, and wasn't the L7 thing in 94 or 95?
It was in '92 at the Reading Festival PiL played the same weekend that's why I think it was a dig at L7.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia