No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Politics and other such topical creams.
101Walterton
The Best

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by 101Walterton »

Being white you don’t often get to experience racism but when you do it is a real eye opener. When I travelled to UK last year* I was on a non EU passport (long story) which meant I was in the non EU Border Control queue for immigration which comprised mainly of people arriving from the middle east and Asia (as I was). Not only was the queue horrendous but it was very noticeable how differently you are treated when you (me, being white) are ‘lumped’ together with the ‘foreigners’ as opposed to when you arrive on your white EU passport.
Didn’t help that I arrived on 6 July (as per below). It was cooking hot, kids were crying, staff were rude and worse queues than Disneyland yet most of the desks were empty but on EU side there was plenty of staff despite NO queue:

https://www.google.co.nz/amp/s/www.cnbc ... -july.html

Passengers arriving at London's Heathrow Airport had to queue at passport control for up to two-and-a-half hours in July, official figures showed, sparking further criticism from aviation chiefs about delays caused by Britain's border regime.
The Border Force missed its 45-minute or less target for passport check wait times for 95 percent of visitors from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) on all but one day last month, according to the data obtained by UK-based airline Virgin Atlantic.
Queues were longest on July 6 when non-EEA visitors had to wait for up to two hours and 36 minutes at Heathrow, Europe's busiest airport.

* that was supposed to say last month not last year.
Last edited by 101Walterton on 22 Aug 2018, 4:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

101Walterton wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 3:32pm
Being white you don’t often get to experience racism but when you do it is a real eye opener. When I travelled to UK last year I was on a non EU passport (long story) which meant I was in the non EU Border Control queue for immigration which comprised mainly of people arriving from the middle east and Asia (as I was). Not only was the queue horrendous but it was very noticeable how differently you are treated when you (me, being white) are ‘lumped’ together with the ‘foreigners’ as opposed to when you arrive on your white EU passport.
Didn’t help that I arrived on 6 July (as per below). It was cooking hot, kids were crying, staff were rude and worse queues than Disneyland yet most of the desks were empty but on EU side there was plenty of staff despite NO queue:

Passengers arriving at London's Heathrow Airport had to queue at passport control for up to two-and-a-half hours in July, official figures showed, sparking further criticism from aviation chiefs about delays caused by Britain's border regime.
The Border Force missed its 45-minute or less target for passport check wait times for 95 percent of visitors from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) on all but one day last month, according to the data obtained by UK-based airline Virgin Atlantic.
Queues were longest on July 6 when non-EEA visitors had to wait for up to two hours and 36 minutes at Heathrow, Europe's busiest airport.
Nothing is worse than CDG in Paris.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
Being white you don’t often get to experience racism but when you do it is a real eye opener. When I travelled to UK last year I was on a non EU passport (long story) which meant I was in the non EU Border Control queue for immigration which comprised mainly of people arriving from the middle east and Asia (as I was). Not only was the queue horrendous but it was very noticeable how differently you are treated when you (me, being white) are ‘lumped’ together with the ‘foreigners’ as opposed to when you arrive on your white EU passport.

Stop moaning you honky!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 4:55pm
101Walterton wrote:

Stop moaning you honky!
:mrgreen:
It is true though, people treat you differently. Staff were unbelievably rude then a group of EU passport holders arrive and it is all smiles, come this way you don't have to queue up here with the terrorists and gooks.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 5:03pm
Marky Dread wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 4:55pm
101Walterton wrote:

Stop moaning you honky!
:mrgreen:
It is true though, people treat you differently. Staff were unbelievably rude then a group of EU passport holders arrive and it is all smiles, come this way you don't have to queue up here with the terrorists and gooks.
It's called payback home boy!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Ha! Well, :angry: but still, ha!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 3:22pm
Even better:

BostonBeaneater

BostonBeaneater wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 3:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Even better:

Shit, they removed the tweet. Some guy lit his Nikes on fire while they were on his feet.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 3:34pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Even better:

Shit, they removed the tweet. Some guy lit his Nikes on fire while they were on his feet.
All this is reminding of the scene in The Rutles where angry people are buying Rutles records so they can participate in burning them.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 3:57pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Even better:

All this is reminding of the scene in The Rutles where angry people are buying Rutles records so they can participate in burning them.
Yeah but all he sad was they were bigger than Rod.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 4:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Even better:

Whom nobody had even heard of at the time. The 60s were a weird time, man.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 4:37pm
Marky Dread wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 4:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:

Even better:

Whom nobody had even heard of at the time. The 60s were a weird time, man.
I'm sure Ron Decline had heard of Rod. The 60s were inded a weird time for The Rutles at one hotel they stayed in they had LSD which of course is an initialism of Large Soap Dishes.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 4:58pm
I'm sure Ron Decline had heard of Rod. The 60s were inded a weird time for The Rutles at one hotel they stayed in they had LSD which of course is an initialism of Large Soap Dishes.
One of my favourite George Harrison stories is that he hated talking about the Beatles in interviews, but readily talked about the Rutles. Just loved sharing what he knew about the fictional history of the group and the making of the movie. Can't help but interpret that as his own grudge against the claustrophobia of Beatlemania.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 5:19pm
Marky Dread wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 4:58pm
One of my favourite George Harrison stories is that he hated talking about the Beatles in interviews, but readily talked about the Rutles. Just loved sharing what he knew about the fictional history of the group and the making of the movie. Can't help but interpret that as his own grudge against the claustrophobia of Beatlemania.
Yeah that seems about right. Though I guess with all the pressure off and the fun of The Rutles being such a brilliant pastiche it must of been a real joy to him.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia