No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Politics and other such topical creams.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Racism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by WestwayKid »

One of the hardest things for me to understand is why people dig in and fight so hard for something like this? What are you giving up if you say hey - yes, we shouldn't use the Cleveland Indians in youth sports?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

WestwayKid wrote:
04 May 2018, 4:43pm
One of the hardest things for me to understand is why people dig in and fight so hard for something like this? What are you giving up if you say hey - yes, we shouldn't use the Cleveland Indians in youth sports?
Hey, if us white folk give into the other on minor stuff like that, they might turn around and demand equality elsewhere. Then where would we be?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
Being white, male, and middle-class or better means, ideologically, the world bends to your wishes. Changing because some whiny loser people point out that that example of power is hurtful and entirely unnecessary is an attack on that ideology. I honestly believe that if the team had been even the most vulgar racial or sexual slur, those people would still dig in their heels because it's not the name, it's the challenge to authority.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 May 2018, 5:16pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Being white, male, and middle-class or better means, ideologically, the world bends to your wishes. Changing because some whiny loser people point out that that example of power is hurtful and entirely unnecessary is an attack on that ideology. I honestly believe that if the team had been even the most vulgar racial or sexual slur, those people would still dig in their heels because it's not the name, it's the challenge to authority.
I think you're right - it the challenge to authority. If it really was just about the name - they'd just fix it - if for nothing else - to get the guy to go away...but giving in means bowing to the outside world and popping that bubble they've built around themselves.

Curiously, we have a board member who is from India and he supported the statement...and as a white male - I did not??
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
04 May 2018, 5:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 May 2018, 5:16pm
WestwayKid wrote:
I think you're right - it the challenge to authority. If it really was just about the name - they'd just fix it - if for nothing else - to get the guy to go away...but giving in means bowing to the outside world and popping that bubble they've built around themselves.

Curiously, we have a board member who is from India and he supported the statement...and as a white male - I did not??
That's ideology for you. The constellation of adherents and opponents can be varied.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Fascinating test. I am a slight to moderate bigot but I am trying.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/selectatest.html

https://www.heritage.org/civil-society/ ... s-problems
Here’s how the test works: Test-takers are instructed to press one key when a picture of a black person appears on the screen, and another key when there’s a picture of a white person. Then you do the same with positive and negative words (“magnificent,” “delightful,” “rotten,” “hurtful,” and so on).
I should add that I stumbled across this test by googling, "How racist is Cincinnati?".

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
16 May 2018, 3:55pm
Fascinating test. I am a slight to moderate bigot but I am trying.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/selectatest.html

https://www.heritage.org/civil-society/ ... s-problems
Here’s how the test works: Test-takers are instructed to press one key when a picture of a black person appears on the screen, and another key when there’s a picture of a white person. Then you do the same with positive and negative words (“magnificent,” “delightful,” “rotten,” “hurtful,” and so on).
I should add that I stumbled across this test by googling, "How racist is Cincinnati?".
I got little or no automatic blah blah blah..

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Apparently I have a slight automatic preference for black people. And yet Spike Lee bugs the hell out of me, so that's odd.

edit: I also have a slight preference for the presidents preceding Trump and no preference between white and Native Americans. I want B to take the latter and for her to have a high preference for crackers.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2018, 7:25am
Apparently I have a slight automatic preference for black people. And yet Spike Lee bugs the hell out of me, so that's odd.

edit: I also have a slight preference for the presidents preceding Trump and no preference between white and Native Americans. I want B to take the latter and for her to have a high preference for crackers.
I had to do this for work a few months ago and, surprise, I had a preference for LGBT people. And, yet, the Indigo Girls bug the hell out of me, so that too is odd.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
17 May 2018, 11:05am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I had to do this for work a few months ago and, surprise, I had a preference for LGBT people. And, yet, the Indigo Girls bug the hell out of me, so that too is odd.
I just tried that one—no automatic preference either way. So I either dislike everyone or I'm a replicant.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2018, 11:37am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I just tried that one—no automatic preference either way. So I either dislike everyone or I'm a replicant.
I vote for the latter.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
17 May 2018, 12:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I vote for the latter.
I always thought that was fact.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 May 2018, 1:00pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I vote for the latter.
:cry:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2018, 1:16pm
Marky Dread wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:

I vote for the latter.
Hey man replicants are not that bad. Well the white one's anyway. :shifty:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 May 2018, 1:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2018, 1:16pm
Marky Dread wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I vote for the latter.
Hey man replicants are not that bad. Well the white one's anyway. :shifty:
:approve: I was devised in Scandinavia.