Yuck

Politics and other such topical creams.
JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Re: Yuck

Post by JennyB »

Wolter wrote:I randomly picked this thread to say that Hooky's boyfriend hates Jews.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnw/20100726/pl_usnw/DC40859
I was going to post about this earlier. He was aon Bill Maher a few weeks ago and came across as a total nutjob, even more than usual. I also think he's a pretty overrated director, though Platoon was good.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:I randomly picked this thread to say that Hooky's boyfriend hates Jews.

Shit, we broke up years ago.

Several months ago Ollie was promoting some new series, and he said that Hitler was a "scapegoat." Even if you want to discuss Hitler in a less polemically charged manner, scapegoat ain't the way to start things off.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

That's pretty fucked up, and disappointing.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Ever since South Africa chickened out, segregation has needed a more secure, loud and proud homeland. Good to see that South Israelina is stepping up.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I re-read this thread and shook my head at my defence of Hoy's use of "begs the question," even as all his subsequent posts sought to undermine me. Hoy is the more-trouble-than-he's-worth partner in every buddy-cop movie.

Bankrobber
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Bankrobber »

Dr. Medulla wrote:I re-read this thread and shook my head at my defence of Hoy's use of "begs the question," even as all his subsequent posts sought to undermine me. Hoy is the more-trouble-than-he's-worth partner in every buddy-cop movie.
Too bad real life isn't a Dirty Harry movie.
I'm so punk, I don't even take my leather jacket off when it catches fire. Which it does frequently, because of how fucking punk I am.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Bankrobber wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:I re-read this thread and shook my head at my defence of Hoy's use of "begs the question," even as all his subsequent posts sought to undermine me. Hoy is the more-trouble-than-he's-worth partner in every buddy-cop movie.
Too bad real life isn't a Dirty Harry movie.
If the original Dirty Harry isn't in my personal top ten movies, I need to re-examine a lot of things.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Don't wanna drag up a three year old debate, but I do fall more towards how phrases are used popularly than a Word-Mill, in-stone definition.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:Don't wanna drag up a three year old debate, but I do fall more towards how phrases are used popularly than a Word-Mill, in-stone definition.
I'm not normally that descriptivist anymore, but I stand by the fact that without the specific definition, "begging the question" serves no purpose as an expression and should then be abandoned, of only because its use in that context sounds super-cliche.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Wolter wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:Don't wanna drag up a three year old debate, but I do fall more towards how phrases are used popularly than a Word-Mill, in-stone definition.
I'm not normally that descriptivist anymore, but I stand by the fact that without the specific definition, "begging the question" serves no purpose as an expression and should then be abandoned, of only because its use in that context sounds super-cliche.
I think its being a cliché is a much better argument for letting quietly die.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Probably. I think the cliché factor dovetails nicely with it having a very specific meaning that honestly shouldn't come up often in conversation.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Probably. I think the cliché factor dovetails nicely with it having a very specific meaning that honestly shouldn't come up often in conversation.
Isn't the greater lesson that engineers should have to produce their TOEFL scores before being allowed to speak with the outside world?

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Isn't the greater lesson that engineers should have to produce their TOEFL scores before being allowed to speak with the outside world?
It's the only sane conclusion.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:The fact that he thinks his logic is sound is proof that we need more logic in schools.
Wrong. More science fairs and less renaissance fairs.
This made me chuckle.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.