Is it Earth Day Already?

Politics and other such topical creams.
eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Re: Is it Earth Day Already?

Post by eumaas » 22 Apr 2010, 1:10pm

JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote:The latter. All beer steins are awesome, even the fucking lame ones. Because beer comes out of them.
Yeah, but what if the beer was Coors?
Ah yes, the union-busting beer. No wonder Matey likes it--adds to his whole appropriation of the workingman jag.
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog » 22 Apr 2010, 1:18pm

eumaas wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote:The latter. All beer steins are awesome, even the fucking lame ones. Because beer comes out of them.
Ah yes, the union-busting beer. No wonder Matey likes it--adds to his whole appropriation of the workingman jag.
Git that done!
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen

Post by Wolter » 22 Apr 2010, 1:27pm

JennyB wrote:
Coors sucks. Don't get me wrong. But at least Coors was in Smokey in the Bandit, and never denied evolution or wrote speeches for Nixon.*

*Coors, the beer. I'm sure the Coors family has done both.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Post by eumaas » 22 Apr 2010, 1:36pm

matedog wrote:
eumaas wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Git that done!
:(
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 22 Apr 2010, 2:30pm

Wolter wrote:
JennyB wrote:Cue self-righteous jaw-speaking: I drive a Prius, so I am greener than ALL OF YOU NERDS. :twitch: :shifty: :approve: :approve: :approve: :disshame:
I don't drive. So I STILL have a smaller carbon footprint than you do, Wasteful Wasterberg.
Your McRib farts are like one thousand Hummers idling at a tire fire.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen

Post by Wolter » 22 Apr 2010, 2:41pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
JennyB wrote:Cue self-righteous jaw-speaking: I drive a Prius, so I am greener than ALL OF YOU NERDS. :twitch: :shifty: :approve: :approve: :approve: :disshame:
I don't drive. So I STILL have a smaller carbon footprint than you do, Wasteful Wasterberg.
Turns out the dense smug rolling out of Canada has been responsible for a full 2 degree increase in mean global temperature.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 22 Apr 2010, 2:55pm

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Turns out the dense smug rolling out of Canada has been responsible for a full 2 degree increase in mean global temperature.
The election of Harper has curbed that greatly (tho we've made up for it with oil pollution).

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex » 01 May 2010, 5:01pm

Sometimes I remember why Lew Rockwell is such a jackass: http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/a ... 56904.html
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Post by eumaas » 01 May 2010, 5:03pm

Flex wrote:Sometimes I remember why Lew Rockwell is such a jackass: http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/a ... 56904.html
Like Justin Raimondo, he's a mixed bag.

I think Lew's gotten better over the past ten years, though. Certainly much improved over his 90s self.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 01 May 2010, 5:08pm

Flex wrote:Sometimes I remember why Lew Rockwell is such a jackass: http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/a ... 56904.html
I read somewhere that BP refused to put in some kind of safety back-up on these rigs because they cost half a million dollars—too expensive. If that's true, that's utterly insane given the overall kind of dollars we're talking about (I'll ignore the environmental impact because, well, does anyone really think oil companies think about that?). When you're talking about billions and billions of dollars, half a mil as insurance is a total no-brainer. Unreal.

eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Post by eumaas » 01 May 2010, 5:10pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:When you're talking about billions and billions of dollars, half a mil as insurance is a total no-brainer.
Why bother when you're too big to fail? If you start having trouble, the state can always bail you out.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 01 May 2010, 5:15pm

eumaas wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:When you're talking about billions and billions of dollars, half a mil as insurance is a total no-brainer.
Why bother when you're too big to fail? If you start having trouble, the state can always bail you out.
Further proof of the unholy alliance between state and industry. The only question here is whether the catastrophe is regarded as politically significant enough that it's better to "make an example" of the perpetrator. A convenient finger-wagging to seem populist. (And will Obama reverse his commitment to further off-shore drilling?)

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex » 01 May 2010, 5:27pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:(And will Obama reverse his commitment to further off-shore drilling?)
From the little news coverage I've seen (so, not exactly a significant sample), the media hasn't even made the connection between this spill and offshore drilling. If I'm not just missing that narrative, I gotta think he's pretty in the clear to pursue offshore drilling to his heart's content.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 01 May 2010, 5:38pm

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:(And will Obama reverse his commitment to further off-shore drilling?)
From the little news coverage I've seen (so, not exactly a significant sample), the media hasn't even made the connection between this spill and offshore drilling. If I'm not just missing that narrative, I gotta think he's pretty in the clear to pursue offshore drilling to his heart's content.
There's that liberal media at work again …

eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Post by eumaas » 12 May 2010, 10:40am

Flex wrote:Sometimes I remember why Lew Rockwell is such a jackass
http://c4ss.org/content/2446
:rolleyes: