The IMCT Media Criticism Thread

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The IMCT Media Criticism Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 30 Apr 2010, 6:31am

Flex wrote:Then they led into a segment on how great school uniforms are and how well they affect children's behaviour and I turned the television off in disgust.
Tangentially related to the above, I was walking back from work yesterday and near Parliament Hill there was a tour group from some girl's school—a bunch of teenager girls in blazers, skirts, and high socks. I felt like a dirty old man because, damn, it was more than kinda hot. What is it about teenage girls in school uniforms that just works?
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex » 06 May 2010, 11:26am

That's some fine reportin' New York Times, mighty fine indeed: http://seeforyourself.blogspot.com/2010 ... sucks.html
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 06 May 2010, 11:35am

Flex wrote:That's some fine reportin' New York Times, mighty fine indeed: http://seeforyourself.blogspot.com/2010 ... sucks.html
See—the liberal New York Times is proven to be deceptive. Rush is right!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen

Post by Wolter » 06 May 2010, 11:38am

Flex wrote:That's some fine reportin' New York Times, mighty fine indeed: http://seeforyourself.blogspot.com/2010 ... sucks.html
I saw some shithouse bad reporting on the drones on CNN last night as well. Wolf Blitzer allowed a former Bush Homeland Security official to slather the collective knob of the drones, claiming their precision is awesome while totally overlooking the literally hundreds, if not thousands, of civilian casualties these PRECISION devices create.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory » 06 May 2010, 2:55pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:Then they led into a segment on how great school uniforms are and how well they affect children's behaviour and I turned the television off in disgust.
Tangentially related to the above, I was walking back from work yesterday and near Parliament Hill there was a tour group from some girl's school—a bunch of teenager girls in blazers, skirts, and high socks. I felt like a dirty old man because, damn, it was more than kinda hot. What is it about teenage girls in school uniforms that just works?
This is basic biology, Doc. No need for DOM status.
Stupid society. Keep me locked up?
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

JennyB
Clash Cuck

Post by JennyB » 06 May 2010, 4:09pm

Wolter wrote:
I saw some shithouse bad reporting on the drones on CNN last night as well. Wolf Blitzer allowed a former Bush Homeland Security official to slather the collective knob of the drones, claiming their precision is awesome while totally overlooking the literally hundreds, if not thousands, of civilian casualties these PRECISION devices create.
Wolf Blitzer is an idiot. Seriously, did you see his stint on Celebrity Jeopardy? He ended up in the red...on Celebrity Jeopardy.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Post by eumaas » 06 May 2010, 4:16pm

JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Wolf Blitzer is an idiot. Seriously, did you see his stint on Celebrity Jeopardy? He ended up in the red...on Celebrity Jeopardy.
Did he choose the Penis Mightier?
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 06 May 2010, 5:19pm

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
This is basic biology, Doc. No need for DOM status.
Stupid society. Keep me locked up?
Thank you for granting me absolution. Damn damn hot …

JennyB
Clash Cuck

Post by JennyB » 06 May 2010, 5:23pm

eumaas wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Did he choose the Penis Mightier?
He chose The Rapists.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 09 May 2010, 8:46am

Question: Was the aim of this piece to make the reader want to rip out the writer's windpipe?

eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Post by eumaas » 09 May 2010, 10:44am

Dr. Medulla wrote:Question: Was the aim of this piece to make the reader want to rip out the writer's windpipe?
Jesus fucking Christ.
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 09 May 2010, 10:55am

eumaas wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Question: Was the aim of this piece to make the reader want to rip out the writer's windpipe?
Jesus fucking Christ.
It gets "better." Her bio:
Alexa von Tobel is the Founder and CEO of LearnVest. Alexa received an A.B. in Psychology Honors with a citation in Romance Languages and Literature at Harvard College. She was awarded Magna Cum Laude Plus for Harvard’s first ever senior thesis on Bhutan. Upon graduation, she worked as a trader at Morgan Stanley in New York in their Global Proprietary Credit Group. Alexa went on to become the Head of Business Development at Drop.io, a technology focused-start up, backed by RRE ventures and DFJ Gotham Ventures. In the fall of 2008, Alexa enrolled in Harvard Business School. When LearnVest received national recognition and was selected as an Astia 2008-2009 company, she took a leave of absence from Harvard Business School in order to launch LearnVest. The concept of LearnVest came to her when she realized she was graduating from Harvard College without ever having taken a single class on the topic of personal finance. In 2009, LearnVest raised $1.1 million in seed funding and was selected as a TechCrunch50 Company for 2009.

Alexa von Tobel feels passionately about making personal finance education fun and accessible to everyone. In addition to LearnVest, Alexa is the co-founder of L.W.A.L.A. a 501c3 focused on fighting HIV/AIDS in Africa.
Two things: First, she graduated without taking a class on personal finance but got a job as a trader at Morgan Stanley? Or: She graduated with a psychology degree and got a job as a trader at Morgan Stanley? Further evidence to Michael Lewis' claim that most of the people on Wall Street don't know what the fuck they're doing. Two, this person who regularly cabs it rather than walk twenty minutes and constantly eats out/orders in runs a company devoted to teaching personal finance. What a hideous person.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority » 09 May 2010, 11:05am

Could it possibly be very, very subtle satire?
'But also: hey dude, you can just go looking for more glasses. They're all free now. '

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 09 May 2010, 11:59am

Silent Majority wrote:Could it possibly be very, very subtle satire?
Possible. And there is a certain obliviousness to it that smells of Onion, but I'm not seeing any clues that confirm it's satire. No reason not to take it at face value.

Still216
Hoy Without The Hoy

Post by Still216 » 09 May 2010, 12:15pm

However, if you usually take a taxi to work, find the nearest subway and walk the extra 10 minutes to your destination. For those bicyclists out there, combine your morning workout with your morning commute and ride to work. The key is to be creative and be smart about your spending.
How much is she being compensated for this "insight"? Reminds me of the shit the talking head local newscasters say when there's not enough murders or thunderstorms to fill a 60 minute newscast.
All in all, I was energized and motivated by my frugal living. I recognize that this experiment is unsustainable for a long period of time
This is the smoking gun that proves a) this is an Onion-style subtle satire, as SM suggests or b) she and the editor who "printed" this on HP are fucking out of their minds.
Sit on my lap, I'm sober! - cretin
Dylan can never care about anything, not a troublesome woman, not a beleagured workingman, not a fingerless glove or sleeveless jacket, as much as Andrew WK cares about partying. - Silent Majority