The IMCT Media Criticism Thread

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The IMCT Media Criticism Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.thedailybeast.com/ny-times- ... to-my-face

Bretbug Stephens, welcome to the Streisand Effect.

edit: He's building a righteous fire over this: https://splinternews.com/bret-stephens- ... 1837612853
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 7:59am

edit: He's building a righteous fire over this: https://splinternews.com/bret-stephens- ... 1837612853
this saga was incredible
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 10:27am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 7:59am

this saga was incredible
It's instructive of how the higher up in status you go, the thinner your skin becomes. And, as with most things, this is amplified if you're white and male. It reminds me of Kavanaugh—the outrage came from a place of "how dare you" offense.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 11:03am
It's instructive of how the higher up in status you go, the thinner your skin becomes. And, as with most things, this is amplified if you're white and male. It reminds me of Kavanaugh—the outrage came from a place of "how dare you" offense.
i read someone make the observation that at least some of this is probably a product of Stephens making his bones on the WSJ opinion page - the safest of safe spaces for conservative white male "intellectuals." A readership that's lock-step with your ideological output, colleagues who won't push you at all in your views, and a wider world that really doesn't give a shit because they don't engage with section and expect no better from its contributors. Moving to the NYT, as dodgy as the paper is, exposes you to the critiques of people outside the WSJ snowflake brigade and Stephens, groomed to hear nothing but adoration from his like-minded peers, was totally unprepared for a life of people having different opinions from him and sometimes even saying something mildly unkind of him. And, because he IS a massive snowflake who can't countenance expressions of speech he doesn't care for, he doesn't know how to respond except via massive meltdown (and trying to chill criticism by getting your critics fired). It's really funny but also quite pathetic.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 11:24am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 11:03am
i read someone make the observation that at least some of this is probably a product of Stephens making his bones on the WSJ opinion page - the safest of safe spaces for conservative white male "intellectuals." A readership that's lock-step with your ideological output, colleagues who won't push you at all in your views, and a wider world that really doesn't give a shit because they don't engage with section and expect no better from its contributors. Moving to the NYT, as dodgy as the paper is, exposes you to the critiques of people outside the WSJ snowflake brigade and Stephens, groomed to hear nothing but adoration from his like-minded peers, was totally unprepared for a life of people having different opinions from him and sometimes even saying something mildly unkind of him. And, because he IS a massive snowflake who can't countenance expressions of speech he doesn't care for, he doesn't know how to respond except via massive meltdown (and trying to chill criticism by getting your critics fired). It's really funny but also quite pathetic.
That is undoubtedly part of the formula. As well, the one thing that unites conservative "thought" for the past fifty years is that they are besieged and persecuted by sinister liberals. Any criticism of their character is proof of their victimization. As so many people have commented about l'affaire bretbug, especially women, he has no idea what it means to be persecuted. How many death threats has he received? But when your worldview is that you're a victim because of your beliefs, any snark can be elevated into a dire attack.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Karpf's essay about Bretbug bringing out the Nazi gun in all this silliness: https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a ... -response/

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 4:34pm
Karpf's essay about Bretbug bringing out the Nazi gun in all this silliness: https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a ... -response/
Wow, first time in awhile that I'm proud of my alma mater. I graduated from the SCPA, too. Maybe next time they harass me for a donation, I will actually give. Wait, who am I kidding?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
04 Sep 2019, 9:45am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wow, first time in awhile that I'm proud of my alma mater. I graduated from the SCPA, too. Maybe next time they harass me for a donation, I will actually give. Wait, who am I kidding?
Never given a dime to any of my schools. My education was a transaction that's concluded. If universities want to behave like corporations, don't expect romantic loyalty from the "clients."

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Sep 2019, 9:53am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Never given a dime to any of my schools. My education was a transaction that's concluded. If universities want to behave like corporations, don't expect romantic loyalty from the "clients."
Yeah, it's adorable how, as the largest landowner in Washington, DC, GWU thinks I'm going to give them my $100 and not, say, a local animal shelter.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
04 Sep 2019, 9:57am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Sep 2019, 9:53am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yeah, it's adorable how, as the largest landowner in Washington, DC, GWU thinks I'm going to give them my $100 and not, say, a local animal shelter.
Animals and kids in need, save your spiel and show me how to sign up; multi-million dollar institutions, you'll be fine without me.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Fake ad in the NY subway:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Oh Tucker, you're both shameless and stupid. Shamelessly stupid, stupidly shameless.
https://splinternews.com/tucker-carlson ... 1838036278

Flex

Post by Flex »

interesting to see how deadspin was murdered by ownership

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 12:11pm
interesting to see how deadspin was murdered by ownership
I'm curious whether this was out of incompetence—we know best, you dumb liberals!—or purposeful, to both attack a media union and to try to gag a group who made it their business throwing rocks—often well aimed—at powerful people.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A discussion with some Deadspin people about what went down: https://slate.com/business/2019/11/dead ... m-ley.html

It's a foolish hope, but, yeah, it'd be wonderful if that group of people could find a back that let them stay together and do their thing unencumbered. Much of reading Deadspin reminded me of this place at its best—smart and funny people bickering and making each other laugh, occasionally offering really insightful observations (that then get mocked into oblivion).