The John Terry Moral Reasoning Thread

Politics and other such topical creams.
matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 19887
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: The John Terry Moral Reasoning Thread

Post by matedog » 21 Dec 2011, 11:42am

Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:Have it Terry, you fucking scumbag.
I hope the arrogant twat is banned for a long, long time. We also might do well in the Euros next year with one less lumbering has-been.
What happened between now and two months ago.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26091
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: The John Terry Moral Reasoning Thread

Post by Heston » 21 Dec 2011, 11:43am

matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:Have it Terry, you fucking scumbag.
I hope the arrogant twat is banned for a long, long time. We also might do well in the Euros next year with one less lumbering has-been.
What happened between now and two months ago.
It's been confirmed he's about to be charged with racially aggravated public order.
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 19887
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: The John Terry Moral Reasoning Thread

Post by matedog » 21 Dec 2011, 11:59am

Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:Have it Terry, you fucking scumbag.
I hope the arrogant twat is banned for a long, long time. We also might do well in the Euros next year with one less lumbering has-been.
What happened between now and two months ago.
It's been confirmed he's about to be charged with racially aggravated public order.
What he said was okay though because a Saudi prince leered at his wife before the game.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71092
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The John Terry Moral Reasoning Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 21 Dec 2011, 12:31pm

matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:Have it Terry, you fucking scumbag.
I hope the arrogant twat is banned for a long, long time. We also might do well in the Euros next year with one less lumbering has-been.
What happened between now and two months ago.
It's been confirmed he's about to be charged with racially aggravated public order.
What he said was okay though because a Saudi prince leered at his wife before the game.
Sounds like that prince would be a lousy teammate.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

tosh
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 799
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 8:50pm
Location: Scouser in California

Re: The John Terry Moral Reasoning Thread

Post by tosh » 23 Dec 2011, 7:56pm


101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14794
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The John Terry Moral Reasoning Thread

Post by 101Walterton » 23 Dec 2011, 11:05pm

Yeah right what a coincidense :mrgreen:

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71092
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The John Terry Moral Reasoning Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 12 Oct 2012, 8:31am

I'm in the Ottawa airport right now and two young guys just walked by, and I overheard one of them say, "John Terry is a racist." Worse, they didn't sound like Limeys.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 19887
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: The John Terry Moral Reasoning Thread

Post by matedog » 12 Oct 2012, 9:44am

Dr. Medulla wrote:I'm in the Ottawa airport right now and two young guys just walked by, and I overheard one of them say, "John Terry is a racist." Worse, they didn't sound like Limeys.
Was it chuck and kaleb?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Inder
User avatar
corecore vanguard
Posts: 7971
Joined: 14 Jun 2008, 3:28pm

Re: The John Terry Moral Reasoning Thread

Post by Inder » 12 Oct 2012, 9:57am

matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:I'm in the Ottawa airport right now and two young guys just walked by, and I overheard one of them say, "John Terry is a racist." Worse, they didn't sound like Limeys.
Was it chuck and kaleb?
I'd watch that movie.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71092
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The John Terry Moral Reasoning Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 12 Oct 2012, 10:02am

Inder wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:I'm in the Ottawa airport right now and two young guys just walked by, and I overheard one of them say, "John Terry is a racist." Worse, they didn't sound like Limeys.
Was it chuck and kaleb?
I'd watch that movie.
Only if there's lots of blood and Wolter dies in the end.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49228
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: The John Terry Moral Reasoning Thread

Post by Wolter » 12 Oct 2012, 10:28am

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Inder wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:I'm in the Ottawa airport right now and two young guys just walked by, and I overheard one of them say, "John Terry is a racist." Worse, they didn't sound like Limeys.
Was it chuck and kaleb?
I'd watch that movie.
Only if there's lots of blood and Wolter dies in the end.
I'm an annoying, wise-cracking guy with glasses. I die in the first reel.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35340
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The John Terry Moral Reasoning Thread

Post by Marky Dread » 12 Oct 2012, 1:31pm

101Walterton wrote:
Yeah right what a coincidense :mrgreen:
That baby isn't black he's square.
Image
Image

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71092
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The John Terry Moral Reasoning Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 03 Mar 2015, 10:24am

Woo hoo, let's bump this thread because I hate starting new ones.

So last week during my class, as a bit of an aside related to the reading, I asked them whether historians have a social responsibility to their work. That is, are historians moral actors in their work. Not a single person said that historical argument should have a moral component. Not a one. In fact, I learned from those history majors who have to take a class on method that, indeed, that's how it's taught. All historians have biases, but these should be both put forward as a warning to the reader and the historian should make every effort to strive for objectivity and not to pass judgement because it's unfair to judge based on present values. In other words, we are to be amoral empiricists. I mentioned subjects like the Holocaust and slavery, which they conceded were complicated, but, no, historians do not judge, only report. I'd like to think that there's some confusion between objectivity and outright lying or skewing the evidence—i.e., subjectivity does not mean being unfair—but I think it's related to the fallacy that all opinions are equally valid, as if the quality of the evidence and analysis does not play a central role. And I suspect it's a misconception about the work of historians, that the past is just sitting around waiting for someone to unearth it and present it exactly as it was, as opposed to what historians actually do—they make an argument. That's it, just an argument. And it's only as truthful as it is persuasive through its use of evidence and analysis. That these students read their texts and research and write their papers thinking than they are somehow divorced from their social environment, and that they are necessarily passing judgement based on those influences, tells me that whoever is teaching them history—or teaching them period—is fucking well dropping the goddamned ball. I really really really want to teach that methodology course now.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Rat Patrol
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 14573
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 9:23pm
Location: A flat burning junkheap for twenty square miles

Re: The John Terry Moral Reasoning Thread

Post by Rat Patrol » 03 Mar 2015, 11:55am

You are a terrible person for bumping the (round) moral outrage thread, Chuckworm. :hmph:
Image

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71092
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The John Terry Moral Reasoning Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 03 Mar 2015, 12:03pm

Bah. This thread had some value to it—eumaas was in fine form, as I recall—and, as I said, I'm too lazy/modest (it's a 95/5 split) to start a new one. I'm Frankensteining this fucker, giving it new life and letting it be killed by villagers.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests