Google backs fatwa with Cat Stevens?

Politics and other such topical creams.
Olaf
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 3757
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:23pm
Location: Germania

Re: Google backs fatwa with Cat Stevens?

Post by Olaf » 13 Oct 2009, 9:39am

Wolter wrote:Sufjan Stevens: Overrated Crap.
Is that the album title? I can't read it.

So it's agreed, Sufjan Stevens has to die? We've got to save the gullible Dr. Medulla from himself.

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49225
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Google backs fatwa with Cat Stevens?

Post by Wolter » 13 Oct 2009, 9:53am

Olaf wrote:
Wolter wrote:Sufjan Stevens: Overrated Crap.
Is that the album title? I can't read it.

So it's agreed, Sufjan Stevens has to die? We've got to save the gullible Dr. Medulla from himself.
A fatwa it is.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49225
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Google backs fatwa with Cat Stevens?

Post by Wolter » 13 Oct 2009, 9:54am

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:Sufjan Stevens: Overrated Crap.
Hey, greaseball, I came in for a radiator flush, not to hear a guy in a Nickelback shirt tell me what's good music.
False premise. Even Heston would know I wouldn't be listening to Canadian music, and would plan his Iron Maiden insult accordingly.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71084
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Google backs fatwa with Cat Stevens?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 13 Oct 2009, 10:11am

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:Sufjan Stevens: Overrated Crap.
Hey, greaseball, I came in for a radiator flush, not to hear a guy in a Nickelback shirt tell me what's good music.
False premise. Even Heston would know I wouldn't be listening to Canadian music, and would plan his Iron Maiden insult accordingly.
If you're listening to Maiden, I see no reason to assume you have any discerning ability.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49225
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Google backs fatwa with Cat Stevens?

Post by Wolter » 13 Oct 2009, 10:12am

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:Sufjan Stevens: Overrated Crap.
Hey, greaseball, I came in for a radiator flush, not to hear a guy in a Nickelback shirt tell me what's good music.
False premise. Even Heston would know I wouldn't be listening to Canadian music, and would plan his Iron Maiden insult accordingly.
If you're listening to Maiden, I see no reason to assume you have any discerning ability.
Why? They're better musicians and songwriters than Sufjan Stevens.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26082
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Google backs fatwa with Cat Stevens?

Post by Heston » 13 Oct 2009, 10:14am

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:Sufjan Stevens: Overrated Crap.
Hey, greaseball, I came in for a radiator flush, not to hear a guy in a Nickelback shirt tell me what's good music.
False premise. Even Heston would know I wouldn't be listening to Canadian music, and would plan his Iron Maiden insult accordingly.
If you're listening to Maiden, I see no reason to assume you have any discerning ability.
Why? They're better musicians and songwriters than Sufjan Stevens.
Are Iron Maiden musicians? I thought they were Egyptologists with a fetish for silly schoolboy art.
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49225
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Google backs fatwa with Cat Stevens?

Post by Wolter » 13 Oct 2009, 10:16am

Heston wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: Hey, greaseball, I came in for a radiator flush, not to hear a guy in a Nickelback shirt tell me what's good music.
False premise. Even Heston would know I wouldn't be listening to Canadian music, and would plan his Iron Maiden insult accordingly.
If you're listening to Maiden, I see no reason to assume you have any discerning ability.
Why? They're better musicians and songwriters than Sufjan Stevens.
Are Iron Maiden musicians? I thought they were Egyptologists with a fetish for silly schoolboy art.
They don't have to be good, they just have to be better than Sufjan Stevens.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 15369
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: Google backs fatwa with Cat Stevens?

Post by JennyB » 13 Oct 2009, 12:39pm

Where has Shadow Stevens been in all of this? Hollywood Squares reunion? I must know.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Still216
User avatar
Hoy Without The Hoy
Posts: 1893
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 2:08pm
Location: At least it's not Detroit

Re: Google backs fatwa with Cat Stevens?

Post by Still216 » 13 Oct 2009, 1:00pm

JennyB wrote:Where has Shadow Stevens been in all of this? Hollywood Squares reunion? I must know.
It's actually "Shadoe Stevens". And I hate myself for knowing that.
Sit on my lap, I'm sober! - cretin
Dylan can never care about anything, not a troublesome woman, not a beleagured workingman, not a fingerless glove or sleeveless jacket, as much as Andrew WK cares about partying. - Silent Majority

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49225
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Google backs fatwa with Cat Stevens?

Post by Wolter » 13 Oct 2009, 1:04pm

Still216 wrote:
JennyB wrote:Where has Shadow Stevens been in all of this? Hollywood Squares reunion? I must know.
It's actually "Shadoe Stevens". And I hate myself for knowing that.
I was really hoping someone else would step up for that correction.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 15369
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: Google backs fatwa with Cat Stevens?

Post by JennyB » 13 Oct 2009, 1:06pm

Wolter wrote:
Still216 wrote:
JennyB wrote:Where has Shadow Stevens been in all of this? Hollywood Squares reunion? I must know.
It's actually "Shadoe Stevens". And I hate myself for knowing that.
I was really hoping someone else would step up for that correction.
You know, I thought it was spelled that way too, but then I thought to myself, "nahhhh, that would just be weird."
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 22595
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: Carrboro/Alamut

Re: Google backs fatwa with Cat Stevens?

Post by eumaas » 27 Oct 2009, 5:08pm

darter wrote:
See how the protests in Pittsburgh were handled
Who will win in court? I bet he prevails on the speech issues - if there are any- but goes down on the charge of "grown man still carrying picture of Lenin." (Assuming that Obama gets the next two Supreme Court appointments). If he was simply helping people commit crimes and avoid arrest - he loses.

From wikipedia:

Following the assassination attempt on Lenin and the successful assassination of Petrograd chief of secret police Moisei Uritsky, Stalin, in a telegram to Lenin, argued that a policy of “open and systematic mass terror” be instigated against “those responsible”. Lenin and the other Bolsheviks agreed, and instructed Felix Dzerzhinsky, whom Lenin had appointed to head the Cheka in 1917, to commence a “Red Terror”, which was officially announced to the public on September 1, 1918, by the Bolshevik newspaper, Krasnaya Gazeta (“Krasnaya Gazette”).

But I think considering how police behave during street violence is a bit of a straw man, (they will always suppress speech), when my concern is whether an author who quietly publishes a book ought to be killed by religious fanatics like Cat Stevens, who by the way, seemed content to let others actually commit the murder.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/10/24/anar ... index.html

The details are finally out, and yes, the Lenin photo was taken out of context as I predicted:
A needlepoint depiction of Lenin that belonged to Madison's wife's grandmother. (Not surprisingly, the police don't seem to grasp the irony of an anarchist owning a Lenin bust in any form, given the hatred between the two ideologies since the Spanish Civil War, when the Communists turned on the anarchists and murdered their ostensible allies.)
Read the whole article.
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

darter
Bang Ice Geezer
Posts: 247
Joined: 18 Jun 2008, 9:02am
Location: Pepperland

Re: Google backs fatwa with Cat Stevens?

Post by darter » 29 Oct 2009, 1:19am

Needlepoint? I needed that.

“Were it not for the presence of the unwashed and the half-educated, the formless, queer and incomplete, the unreasonable and absurd, the infinite shapes of the delightful human tadpole, the horizon would not wear so wide a grin.”

Frank Moore Colby

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 22595
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: Carrboro/Alamut

Re: Google backs fatwa with Cat Stevens?

Post by eumaas » 29 Oct 2009, 2:17am

darter wrote:Needlepoint? I needed that.
Not the needlepoint, but that it's his wife's grandmother's thing.
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 15369
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: Google backs fatwa with Cat Stevens?

Post by JennyB » 29 Oct 2009, 4:04pm

eumaas wrote:
darter wrote:Needlepoint? I needed that.
Not the needlepoint, but that it's his wife's grandmother's thing.
I like to needlepoint. If anyone wants me to make them a belt, let me know. :mrgreen:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests