Google backs fatwa with Cat Stevens?

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Google backs fatwa with Cat Stevens?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
eumaas wrote:
darter wrote:Needlepoint? I needed that.
Not the needlepoint, but that it's his wife's grandmother's thing.
I like to needlepoint. If anyone wants me to make them a belt, let me know. :mrgreen:
Can you do one that shows delicious hot pie being sold from a Mossad van to General Ursus?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
eumaas wrote:
I like to needlepoint. If anyone wants me to make them a belt, let me know. :mrgreen:
Can you do one that shows delicious hot pie being sold from a Mossad van to General Ursus?
That has to be done in cross-stitch or it causes fatal erections.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
eumaas wrote:
That has to be done in cross-stitch or it causes fatal erections.
Duh. :rolleyes:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

darter
Sightsee MC

Post by darter »

Cat Stevens denounces burning Rushdie in effigy:

Last edited by darter on 02 Jan 2010, 1:38am, edited 1 time in total.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

OK, I haven't read any of this, but I watched Harold & Maude this weekend, and while it was a pretty good movie, Cat Stevens wouldn't shut up.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

darter
Sightsee MC

Post by darter »

Cat Stevens now runs a Muslim school and claims the title of "Dr.", it would appear, so he might provide guidance to the young who wish to "save humanity".

http://www.convention.revivingtheislami ... /speakers/

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

tepista wrote:OK, I haven't read any of this, but I watched Harold & Maude this weekend, and while it was a pretty good movie, Cat Stevens wouldn't shut up.
This must go in the Quotable Tepitsa.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

You know what, instead of pointlessly bitching about a celebrity that only SAYS stupid things and has committed no crime, we could focus on actual insane fatwas?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8437433.stm
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:You know what, instead of pointlessly bitching about a celebrity that only SAYS stupid things and has committed no crime, we could focus on actual insane fatwas?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8437433.stm
I thought this was actually an anti-Starbucks thread. What am supposed to feel righteous about?

darter
Sightsee MC

Post by darter »

You know
what, instead of pointlessly bitching about a celebrity that only SAYS stupid things and has committed no crime, we could focus on actual insane fatwas?

Well, I would not have been roused from my normal television-induced stupor had it not been for the intrusive appearance of this Cat Stevens creature during T-Mobile ads, where the "if you want to sing out, sing out" song I was hearing seemed rather unlike the actual message of Yusaf Islam who promoted the actual killing by immolation of those who disagree with him. By flames. Actual real death. See the link a few messages up from this post. So, I put that up there in the "actual insane fatwa" category , although I think the actual fatwa against Rushdie has been allowed to lapse, nominally at least - though if some lunatic does kill him there will dancing in the streets. But the relevance here is that with Cat Stevens we have the use of pop music to further the ideals of Yusaf Islam. Perhaps music has no power or influence whatsoever to motivate a generation of youths, but I think otherwise. Which way will these youths go if they follow Yusaf Islam? He is more than an empty-headed celebrity. He's an opinion leader. I can't really tell how his songs will be used but they have great recruitment potential in EU countries and in America. My complaint is that the German company selling T-Mobile ( Deutsche Telekom) is aware of all this and, knowingly, raises the stature of a sociopath in order to boost sales of their cell phones. As I think this through, it is the amorality of Deutsche Telekom that really astounds me.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

darter wrote:Which way will these youths go if they follow Yusaf Islam? He is more than an empty-headed celebrity. He's an opinion leader.
Really? An opinion leader? I would guess that a survey of Americans, English, and Canadians under the age of 25 would reveal that less than 10% have even heard of Cat Stevens, let alone regard him as a leader of anything.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
darter wrote:Which way will these youths go if they follow Yusaf Islam? He is more than an empty-headed celebrity. He's an opinion leader.
Really? An opinion leader? I would guess that a survey of Americans, English, and Canadians under the age of 25 would reveal that less than 10% have even heard of Cat Stevens, let alone regard him as a leader of anything.
Seriously. Cat Stevens is about as influential in Western pop culture as Iron Butterfly. If one of them came out it favor of fascism, I'd be personally disappointed in them, but not particularly up in arms. You are putting the cart before the horse if you think he's responsible for anyone converting to Islam, much less committing acts of violence or terrorism. I mean, I'm sure he's popular in the Islamic community, as he is a famous Moslem. But he's not going to make anyone else do what they don't already have proclivities towards.

Plus, and I am being 100% serious here: what the fuck do you want, darter? Cat Stevens to be executed and expunged from the books? Yusef Islam is one man, allowed to say and do as he pleases as long as he doesn't directly harm others. Your obsession with him borders on the pathological and, at the very least, sits squarely in the bizarre.

darter
Sightsee MC

Post by darter »

This is the view that Cat Stevens espouses:

"In Islam there is a line between let's say freedom and the line which is then transgressed into immorality and irresponsibility and I think as far as this writer is concerned, unfortunately, he has been irresponsible with his freedom of speech. Salman Rushdie or indeed any writer who abuses the prophet, or indeed any prophet, under Islamic law, the sentence for that is actually death. It's got to be seen as a deterrent, so that other people should not commit the same mistake again."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_Steven ... an_Rushdie

Objecting to this barbaric view using a forum on the internet is not all that bizarre from what I can tell, it's pretty much what people do with forums these days. Also, a thread like this can generate new ideas that may support or refute one's stance. The reader is not required to do or feel anything in particular. The main reason I have posted this here is because, in the case of the T-Mobile ad, we have the intersection of music, terrorism and corporate greed - and the music part interests me because music can be used to influence people and events.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

darter wrote:This is the view that Cat Stevens espouses:

"In Islam there is a line between let's say freedom and the line which is then transgressed into immorality and irresponsibility and I think as far as this writer is concerned, unfortunately, he has been irresponsible with his freedom of speech. Salman Rushdie or indeed any writer who abuses the prophet, or indeed any prophet, under Islamic law, the sentence for that is actually death. It's got to be seen as a deterrent, so that other people should not commit the same mistake again."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_Steven ... an_Rushdie

Objecting to this barbaric view using a forum on the internet is not all that bizarre from what I can tell, it's pretty much what people do with forums these days. Also, a thread like this can generate new ideas that may support or refute one's stance. The reader is not required to do or feel anything in particular. The main reason I have posted this here is because, in the case of the T-Mobile ad, we have the intersection of music, terrorism and corporate greed - and the music part interests me because music can be used to influence people and events.
If only that were all that you were doing. In taking your basic stance, you've exaggerated CS into some giant Satan, hatching plots, manipulating minds, and destroying any hope for a peaceful future. You want to be against religious intolerance? Few here will side against you. You bothered by the sinister agendas of global corporations? Again, you're not alone. But your rhetoric that elevates Cat Stevens beyond all reasonable influence works against your principles because, quite frankly, you sound unhinged the way you go on about him. Reasoned discourse goes a lot further than hysteria.

darter
Sightsee MC

Post by darter »

Some notes on recruitment:

For those interested in Al-Qaeda recruitment techniques, here's a Rand paper. It's not boring if you like psychology.

http://192.5.14.110/pubs/reprints/2006/RAND_RP1214.pdf

In local news, the five young men recently arrested in Pakistan lived in Alexandria, Virginia, a couple of miles from my house. You might notice that when they are filmed in Pakistan in handcuffs they are wearing standard American garb, and are smiling as though they had just gotten thrown out of gym class. The families reported them missing and feared they had been recruited, as they had been.