Page 20 of 25

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Posted: 04 May 2016, 10:43am
by JennyB
Meanwhile, in Missouri (the author is a good friend of mine and I gave her permission to use my quotes, which were not published in the Post Dispatch, unfortunately):

http://www.stlamerican.com/news/columni ... mment-area

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Posted: 04 May 2016, 10:54am
by Dr. Medulla
JennyB wrote:Meanwhile, in Missouri (the author is a good friend of mine and I gave her permission to use my quotes, which were not published in the Post Dispatch, unfortunately):

http://www.stlamerican.com/news/columni ... mment-area
One thing that the right does much better than the left is co-opting disgraceful events—ones where they would often find ideological sympathy with the perpetrators—into furthering their own contemporary interests. The ability of white conservatives to seize, say, slavery as their own issue is breathtaking in its audacity. Anything and everything is up for grabs.

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Posted: 04 May 2016, 10:56am
by JennyB
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:Meanwhile, in Missouri (the author is a good friend of mine and I gave her permission to use my quotes, which were not published in the Post Dispatch, unfortunately):

http://www.stlamerican.com/news/columni ... mment-area
One thing that the right does much better than the left is co-opting disgraceful events—ones where they would often find ideological sympathy with the perpetrators—into furthering their own contemporary interests. The ability of white conservatives to seize, say, slavery as their own issue is breathtaking in its audacity. Anything and everything is up for grabs.
It's really a sight to behold, isn't it?

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Posted: 09 May 2016, 6:39am
by Dr. Medulla
Image

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Posted: 06 Jun 2016, 11:42am
by BostonBeaneater
Image

I think by naming your child Brock you have already damned him to be a douche bag. Brock is a rapist and should be disemboweled.


Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Posted: 06 Jun 2016, 11:56am
by Dr. Medulla
If this guy also has daughters, they must feel good knowing dad has their back if something awful happens to them. C'mon, Trudy, it was 20 minutes of action, no big deal.

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Posted: 06 Jun 2016, 12:33pm
by JennyB
This is rape culture. This is also white privilege at work.

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Posted: 06 Jun 2016, 12:49pm
by Dr. Medulla
About 15 years ago, the teenaged daughter of a friend was sexually assaulted in some manner (I don't know the degree or details). She was in Cadets, which is connected with the Canadian military, but more like the scouts. Anyway, she was 14 or 15 and the boy who assaulted her, another Cadet, was around 17. She told her mother what happened, who went to the police and they said they'd investigate. Here's what the investigation entailed: pulling Chris (I think that was her name) out of class and questioning her in an office in the school. Without her mother's awareness or presence. And then the cop went to work trying to convince her that it didn't happen. Okay, it did happen. Well, it wasn't that bad then. Okay, it was pretty bad. Well, then you led him on, right? Okay, well, look, you're going to ruin this boy's life if you push this. And it worked. Chris was so traumatized by the two experiences that she begged her mother to drop everything, including a complaint to the police. Which is what happened to spare her kid in the short term. So, an absolutely wretched and compounded experience for Chris, but to the cop and possibly the boy it was a completely mundane and forgettable incident. I keep that story in my back pocket whenever anyone says that cops are all decent people. This wasn't elaborate abuse of power, just a casual fifteen or twenty minutes in a work day, preserving the predatory rights of males.

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Posted: 06 Jun 2016, 1:05pm
by BostonBeaneater
Dr. Medulla wrote:About 15 years ago, the teenaged daughter of a friend was sexually assaulted in some manner (I don't know the degree or details). She was in Cadets, which is connected with the Canadian military, but more like the scouts. Anyway, she was 14 or 15 and the boy who assaulted her, another Cadet, was around 17. She told her mother what happened, who went to the police and they said they'd investigate. Here's what the investigation entailed: pulling Chris (I think that was her name) out of class and questioning her in an office in the school. Without her mother's awareness or presence. And then the cop went to work trying to convince her that it didn't happen. Okay, it did happen. Well, it wasn't that bad then. Okay, it was pretty bad. Well, then you led him on, right? Okay, well, look, you're going to ruin this boy's life if you push this. And it worked. Chris was so traumatized by the two experiences that she begged her mother to drop everything, including a complaint to the police. Which is what happened to spare her kid in the short term. So, an absolutely wretched and compounded experience for Chris, but to the cop and possibly the boy it was a completely mundane and forgettable incident. I keep that story in my back pocket whenever anyone says that cops are all decent people. This wasn't elaborate abuse of power, just a casual fifteen or twenty minutes in a work day, preserving the predatory rights of males.
This is pretty standard issue and the reason why you might want to leave the cops out of it. I think if this happened to someone I care about I would take tho old wire snips to their achilles.

Image

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Posted: 06 Jun 2016, 1:40pm
by JennyB
Dr. Medulla wrote:About 15 years ago, the teenaged daughter of a friend was sexually assaulted in some manner (I don't know the degree or details). She was in Cadets, which is connected with the Canadian military, but more like the scouts. Anyway, she was 14 or 15 and the boy who assaulted her, another Cadet, was around 17. She told her mother what happened, who went to the police and they said they'd investigate. Here's what the investigation entailed: pulling Chris (I think that was her name) out of class and questioning her in an office in the school. Without her mother's awareness or presence. And then the cop went to work trying to convince her that it didn't happen. Okay, it did happen. Well, it wasn't that bad then. Okay, it was pretty bad. Well, then you led him on, right? Okay, well, look, you're going to ruin this boy's life if you push this. And it worked. Chris was so traumatized by the two experiences that she begged her mother to drop everything, including a complaint to the police. Which is what happened to spare her kid in the short term. So, an absolutely wretched and compounded experience for Chris, but to the cop and possibly the boy it was a completely mundane and forgettable incident. I keep that story in my back pocket whenever anyone says that cops are all decent people. This wasn't elaborate abuse of power, just a casual fifteen or twenty minutes in a work day, preserving the predatory rights of males.
Jesus.

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Posted: 07 Jun 2016, 10:26am
by Dr. Medulla
In a linguistic paradox, some rapes happen without there being a rapist, says asswipe's friend.
http://jezebel.com/brock-turners-childh ... 1780954372

I know my disgust is misplaced, but I right now I feel more appalled by his enablers/defenders. Or at least they suggest an avenue into what kind of irresponsible little douche he is.

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Posted: 08 Jun 2016, 11:11am
by matedog
There is an argument made that "why are men held accountable for their actions when drunk and women aren't?" Perhaps a better mentality would be if a woman drinking makes her more likely to be a victim of rape, then a man drinking makes him more likely to commit rape. I don't think this is ever really stated.

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Posted: 08 Jun 2016, 12:05pm
by eumaas
but now that Clinton has the nom, the patriarchy is over.

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Posted: 08 Jun 2016, 12:08pm
by eumaas
I'm pulling for a vigilante taking out that privileged rapist piece of shit.

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Posted: 08 Jun 2016, 12:12pm
by eumaas
eumaas wrote:I'm pulling for a vigilante taking out that privileged rapist piece of shit.
if the same person takes out Shkreli, we gotta write ourselves a folk hero ballad.