No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Politics and other such topical creams.
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: No, No, Don't Worry. Sexism is Pretty Much Over.

Post by BostonBeaneater »

JennyB wrote:Right - I was going to mention that sign about the free chili, but I was too lazy.
Probably the quaaludes.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I've skimmed this, but interesting story about one of the members of the Runaways being raped by their manager: http://highline.huffingtonpost.com/arti ... ost-girls/

Interestingly, Joan Jett has been not terribly forthcoming about the incident.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

matedog wrote:I've skimmed this, but interesting story about one of the members of the Runaways being raped by their manager: http://highline.huffingtonpost.com/arti ... ost-girls/

Interestingly, Joan Jett has been not terribly forthcoming about the incident.
To clarify, I shouldn't single her out about the matter. There are a ton of other culpable people and societal influences, namely the perpetrator who I would imagine probably did this to a lot of other women.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

I skimmed it too. He wasn't talking directly to Joan Jett though, only her "people".

But it's early days. It'll be interesting how this one is going play out.

Not at all familiar with the writer Jason Cherkis. How old is he?

His characterization of Rodney Bingenheimer as "a notorious hanger-on" and no mention of the English Disco underage scene raised an eyebrow for me.

He's also really, really into reading things regarding photos...
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I follow Maureen Herman, the bassist for Babes in Toyland, on FB. She co-founded an organization called A is For with Martha Plimpton, among others. It's a really cool feminist/pro-choice organization Anyway, she is a rape survivor and her 12-year-old daughter is a result of that rape. This is what she wrote earlier today, and I thought it was pretty on point:

"Joan Jett's continued silence at the public disclosure of her witnessing of her bassist's rape at the hands of their manager is starting to taste like indifference with a side of victim-blaming. That's a really dangerous message to send to the many women and musicians Jett has inspired and influenced in her successful career. As a woman, a musician, a rape victim, and a feminist, my disappointment is turning to rage. It will not be a silent rage.

Though Joan Jett was not the perpetrator of the crime committed against Jackie Fuchs, she was a witness to the rape and did nothing. I understand she was very young at the time, and it's possible Fowley leveraged the threat of rape to retain power and influence over the other band members. It was a very public rape, after all.

But now, the perpetrator is dead, and the victim has taken the courageous step of telling her story to encourage others to tell theirs. Jett's dismissive response to requests for a comment--that Jackie can tell her own story--is not enough. She has the unique chance of finally standing up for the bandmate she so tragically denied all of these years. How healing that would be, how far it would go in assuring victims that rape is never their fault--no matter what."
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Jesus, horrible stuff.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

JennyB wrote:I follow Maureen Herman, the bassist for Babes in Toyland, on FB. She co-founded an organization called A is For with Martha Plimpton, among others. It's a really cool feminist/pro-choice organization Anyway, she is a rape survivor and her 12-year-old daughter is a result of that rape. This is what she wrote earlier today, and I thought it was pretty on point:

"Joan Jett's continued silence at the public disclosure of her witnessing of her bassist's rape at the hands of their manager is starting to taste like indifference with a side of victim-blaming. That's a really dangerous message to send to the many women and musicians Jett has inspired and influenced in her successful career. As a woman, a musician, a rape victim, and a feminist, my disappointment is turning to rage. It will not be a silent rage.

Though Joan Jett was not the perpetrator of the crime committed against Jackie Fuchs, she was a witness to the rape and did nothing. I understand she was very young at the time, and it's possible Fowley leveraged the threat of rape to retain power and influence over the other band members. It was a very public rape, after all.

But now, the perpetrator is dead, and the victim has taken the courageous step of telling her story to encourage others to tell theirs. Jett's dismissive response to requests for a comment--that Jackie can tell her own story--is not enough. She has the unique chance of finally standing up for the bandmate she so tragically denied all of these years. How healing that would be, how far it would go in assuring victims that rape is never their fault--no matter what."
Posted an hour ago on the Joan Jett and the Blackhearts FB page:

"Anyone who truly knows me understands that if I was aware of a friend or bandmate being violated, I would not stand by while it happened. For a group of young teenagers thrust into 70s rock stardom there were relationships that were bizarre, but I was not aware of this incident. Obviously Jackie’s story is extremely upsetting and although we haven’t spoken in decades, I wish her peace and healing." - Joan Jett

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
JennyB wrote:I follow Maureen Herman, the bassist for Babes in Toyland, on FB. She co-founded an organization called A is For with Martha Plimpton, among others. It's a really cool feminist/pro-choice organization Anyway, she is a rape survivor and her 12-year-old daughter is a result of that rape. This is what she wrote earlier today, and I thought it was pretty on point:

"Anyone who truly knows me understands that if I was aware of a friend or bandmate being violated, I would not stand by while it happened. For a group of young teenagers thrust into 70s rock stardom there were relationships that were bizarre, but I was not aware of this incident. Obviously Jackie’s story is extremely upsetting and although we haven’t spoken in decades, I wish her peace and healing." - Joan Jett
That statement is just so repugnant on so many levels. She should just have remained silent if that was the best she could do.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Low Down Low wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:

That statement is just so repugnant on so many levels. She should just have remained silent if that was the best she could do.
I agree. If you're just going to make a non-statement statement, don't make a statement at all.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Rat Patrol wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:

I agree. If you're just going to make a non-statement statement, don't make a statement at all.
Yep.
Got a Rake? Sure!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

So is Joan Jett the new Joe Paterno?
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

tepista wrote:So is Joan Jett the new Joe Paterno?
Ouch.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
Ouch.
Well I'm just askin. She's being accused of "see-no-say"

I guess in Joe's case it was see, see, see, see, see, see, see, see, see, see, see, see, see, see, see, see-no-say
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

tepista wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Ouch.

I guess in Joe's case it was see, see, see, see, see, see, see, see, see, see, see, see, see, see, see, see-no-say
It's a fair question, but not sure there is equivalence. Paterno didn't see anything, he was told of an incident and passed the details on to a superior and then did precisely nada. Not sure if there were further developments, but was it ever conclusively proven he actively lied or participated in a cover-up? Don't believe it was. As for JJ, either she's a bare-faced liar or else through some profound, semi-conscious mind-altering process, she's managed to convince herself that her reality - basically all the good stuff that happened from the outset of the Runaways with anything bad blotted out - is the only one that counts.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Low Down Low wrote:
tepista wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Ouch.

It's a fair question, but not sure there is equivalence. Paterno didn't see anything, he was told of an incident and passed the details on to a superior and then did precisely nada. Not sure if there were further developments, but was it ever conclusively proven he actively lied or participated in a cover-up? Don't believe it was. As for JJ, either she's a bare-faced liar or else through some profound, semi-conscious mind-altering process, she's managed to convince herself that her reality - basically all the good stuff that happened from the outset of the Runaways with anything bad blotted out - is the only one that counts.
Paterno, because of his job, was a mandated reporter. That means, if he had a reasonable cause to suspect abuse, he had to report it. Doesn't mean he had to have proof.
Got a Rake? Sure!