Happy Fourth of July

Politics and other such topical creams.
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: Happy Fourth of July

Post by BostonBeaneater »

I did a lot of drugs in high school. Weed, acid, mushrooms, and whatever else was traded in the school parking lot. The funny thing is, we didn't drink. See, because booze is legal it is regulated. You may not be able to drive your car on the wrong side of the road but you are allowed to drive. Same thing with booze, it's legal so it can be regulated and rules can be made for it. The packie store asks for an ID do that they don't lose their business, the dope dealer just asks for money. You can't have sane government of illegal substances. The illegality of it forces is underground. Criminals don't check IDs.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:I did a lot of drugs in high school. Weed, acid, mushrooms, and whatever else was traded in the school parking lot. The funny thing is, we didn't drink. See, because booze is legal it is regulated. You may not be able to drive your car on the wrong side of the road but you are allowed to drive. Same thing with booze, it's legal so it can be regulated and rules can be made for it. The packie store asks for an ID do that they don't lose their business, the dope dealer just asks for money. You can't have sane government of illegal substances. The illegality of it forces is underground. Criminals don't check IDs.
Really you didn't drink in high school? There were no extra legal means of acquiring alcohol at your disposal? We often used the wait for the obviously old enough stoner looking guy and approached him about buying the beer for us, along with older brothers/sisters. There were also plenty of places that didn't check id. I recall one time buying from this one place and the guy at the register (it was his dad's store) was a freshman in my school. He wasn't actually ringing it up his dad was but the kid put it in bags for us, he knew we went to the same school. There was also the old take the beer from the cooler and then throw more than enough cash on the counter and walk out. They might protest a bit but never called the cops.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I had a long, kickass post that got eaten when my internet crashed.

Dammit. I'm not reposting it. I'll just repeat that I agree with Beaneater and leave it at that.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

BostonBeaneater

revbob wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:I did a lot of drugs in high school. Weed, acid, mushrooms, and whatever else was traded in the school parking lot. The funny thing is, we didn't drink. See, because booze is legal it is regulated. You may not be able to drive your car on the wrong side of the road but you are allowed to drive. Same thing with booze, it's legal so it can be regulated and rules can be made for it. The packie store asks for an ID do that they don't lose their business, the dope dealer just asks for money. You can't have sane government of illegal substances. The illegality of it forces is underground. Criminals don't check IDs.
Really you didn't drink in high school? There were no extra legal means of acquiring alcohol at your disposal? We often used the wait for the obviously old enough stoner looking guy and approached him about buying the beer for us, along with older brothers/sisters. There were also plenty of places that didn't check id. I recall one time buying from this one place and the guy at the register (it was his dad's store) was a freshman in my school. He wasn't actually ringing it up his dad was but the kid put it in bags for us, he knew we went to the same school. There was also the old take the beer from the cooler and then throw more than enough cash on the counter and walk out. They might protest a bit but never called the cops.
We did do some drinking but it was much harder to come by, harder to hide, harder to get away with. MADD makes sure the stores are scared to be closed down if they sell to minors.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
revbob wrote:
We did do some drinking but it was much harder to come by, harder to hide, harder to get away with. MADD makes sure the stores are scared to be closed down if they sell to minors.
Perhaps because it is less regulated in New York (no package stores) it made it so much easier. Every deli, gas station and quick stop sell beer.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I'm not sure I'm following your point here. On the one hand, you're calling for legalization, but on the other you seem to be saying that having dope be illegal streamlines access because there are no laws or regulation governing its sale. So, from the point of the user, is it better for it to be illegal?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm not sure I'm following your point here. On the one hand, you're calling for legalization, but on the other you seem to be saying that having dope be illegal streamlines access because there are no laws or regulation governing its sale. So, from the point of the user, is it better for it to be illegal?
I think he's trying to assuage 101's fears by saying that regulation led to tougher access?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I think he's trying to assuage 101's fears by saying that regulation led to tougher access?
If that's the case, tho, doesn't it validate 101's earlier claim that a black market would reign, so the issue of illegality wouldn't go away?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
If that's the case, tho, doesn't it validate 101's earlier claim that a black market would reign, so the issue of illegality wouldn't go away?
Maybe if they all had easier access to firearms?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Maybe if they all had easier access to firearms?
Then personal freedom would be absolute.

BostonBeaneater

I guess the point I was trying to make is that everyone says we need to keep these things away from children. The best way to do that is to regulate. I think a law abiding person of age should be able to buy grass in a store and get baked without fear of the cops. Best of both worlds really.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

revbob wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
revbob wrote:
Perhaps because it is less regulated in New York (no package stores) it made it so much easier. Every deli, gas station and quick stop sell beer.
Massachusetts is still a nanny state about alcohol sales. It's some of the last surviving 300-year-old stink the Puritans left behind to ruin our fun. Liquor stores have only been open on Sunday for 4 years now, and that was revolutionary when it actually happened. And you still can't buy liquor in a supermarket...must be a liquor store or package store adjoining the supermarket. Pretty much all of Southern New England is like that...in fact, I think they STILL don't allow Sunday liquor sales in CT or RI. The first time I ever set foot in a New Hampshire supermarket and saw the two beer isles and the hard liquor and wine isle, I was absolutely floored. "You mean, this is legal? There are places like this?

BBE is right...it does create a lot worse juvenile delinquency with the hyper-regulation. Although my high school's problem was less about moving on to drugs than it was upping the ante with booze and driving with it. In a high school of about 1000 students they were averaging one or two drunk driving deaths per year and one or two very serious life-altering injuries per year...which is an absurdly high rate for a bland white mid-sized middle-class suburb of Hartford. And that's because they couldn't acquire the stuff in enough quantities to throw big-ass parties in stationary locations where people could binge and then chill it off, so they had to get their thrills rationing much smaller amounts in smaller groups of people with more dangerous activities. Say, as many people as could polish off a bottle of tequila in a sedan while swerving around residential thoroughfares at triple the speed limit. That's what hyper-regulation buys you.

classof77
Dirty Punk

Post by classof77 »

Hmmm. Sex or a handgun for personal freedom...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... l%26sa%3DN

BostonBeaneater

I ain't right. I'm drunk. I'm armed with a very sharp pen. I jab for the neck. My opinions change with the wind and wave.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Is there anything not to love about this picture?