PETA's great ideas keep a-rollin'

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71096
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: PETA's great ideas keep a-rollin'

Post by Dr. Medulla » 01 Aug 2016, 3:27pm

Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Image
The irony being I expect the vast majority of pet owners feed their pet food that is behind that line.
Very true. The wet food we feed our cats is a blend of duck and tuna or chicken and tuna. According to the package, it's all steroid free and ethically killed, etc., but your point remains.
I do think people need to not be horrified about cultures eating dogs.
No more no less than any other culture that decides what is or isn't a pet.
It is all entirely culturally generated/learned. Strictly speaking, it is illogical that we make these choices, but, save for vegans, there's a compromise made. I admit to being weirded out by the idea of eating cat, dog, or horse, but dispassionately I shouldn't be. Meh.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25006
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: PETA's great ideas keep a-rollin'

Post by Flex » 01 Aug 2016, 3:29pm

Rabbit on the wrong side of the line, imho.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71096
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: PETA's great ideas keep a-rollin'

Post by Dr. Medulla » 01 Aug 2016, 3:30pm

Flex wrote:Rabbit on the wrong side of the line, imho.
Your Fuddism has long been understood here.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35352
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: PETA's great ideas keep a-rollin'

Post by Marky Dread » 01 Aug 2016, 3:37pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:Rabbit on the wrong side of the line, imho.
Your Fuddism has long been understood here.
This made me smile about a very serious subject.
Image
Image

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35352
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: PETA's great ideas keep a-rollin'

Post by Marky Dread » 01 Aug 2016, 3:39pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
The irony being I expect the vast majority of pet owners feed their pet food that is behind that line.
Very true. The wet food we feed our cats is a blend of duck and tuna or chicken and tuna. According to the package, it's all steroid free and ethically killed, etc., but your point remains.
I do think people need to not be horrified about cultures eating dogs.
No more no less than any other culture that decides what is or isn't a pet.
It is all entirely culturally generated/learned. Strictly speaking, it is illogical that we make these choices, but, save for vegans, there's a compromise made. I admit to being weirded out by the idea of eating cat, dog, or horse, but dispassionately I shouldn't be. Meh.
I agree and meh indeed.

I guess no fish, no fur, no feather. Someone is going to tell me plants have a right to live also.
Image
Image

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25006
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: PETA's great ideas keep a-rollin'

Post by Flex » 01 Aug 2016, 3:45pm

There's really no coherent argument against veganism (or, at least, vegetarianism) that I've come across. The preponderance of evidence is that animals can, and do, feel and understand their own suffering and I can't really come up with a cogent argument why they shouldn't be afforded the right of other living creatures that constitutes not being slaughtered and eaten for our own pleasure. From a health standpoint, there isn't really any nutritional benefit to meat-eating a person can't get from a well-balanced vegetarian diet, and there's (heavily debated) evidence that even "good" meat-eating has adverse health consequences. It's also a lot easier to "buy ethically" in terms of not supporting the worst of the worst corporations and those who engage in otherwise noxious humanitarian/environmental/etc. practices if one refrains from eating meat.

That said, I eat meat and really have no plans to stop. I do it for all the cultural reasons that get discussed, and at a base level that I enjoy the taste of meat. But, I'd admit it's a moral failing on my part.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

BostonBeaneater
User avatar
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel
Posts: 6853
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:24pm
Location: Between the moon and New York City

Re: PETA's great ideas keep a-rollin'

Post by BostonBeaneater » 01 Aug 2016, 3:50pm

Flex wrote:There's really no coherent argument against veganism (or, at least, vegetarianism) that I've come across. The preponderance of evidence is that animals can, and do, feel and understand their own suffering and I can't really come up with a cogent argument why they shouldn't be afforded the right of other living creatures that constitutes not being slaughtered and eaten for our own pleasure. From a health standpoint, there isn't really any nutritional benefit to meat-eating a person can't get from a well-balanced vegetarian diet, and there's (heavily debated) evidence that even "good" meat-eating has adverse health consequences. It's also a lot easier to "buy ethically" in terms of not supporting the worst of the worst corporations and those who engage in otherwise noxious humanitarian/environmental/etc. practices if one refrains from eating meat.

That said, I eat meat and really have no plans to stop. I do it for all the cultural reasons that get discussed, and at a base level that I enjoy the taste of meat. But, I'd admit it's a moral failing on my part.
I eat meat shamelessly. Circle of life yada yada.
Image

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25006
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: PETA's great ideas keep a-rollin'

Post by Flex » 01 Aug 2016, 3:52pm

BostonBeaneater wrote:Circle of life yada yada.
That's actually why I murder the elderly.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71096
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: PETA's great ideas keep a-rollin'

Post by Dr. Medulla » 01 Aug 2016, 3:59pm

Flex wrote:There's really no coherent argument against veganism (or, at least, vegetarianism) that I've come across. The preponderance of evidence is that animals can, and do, feel and understand their own suffering and I can't really come up with a cogent argument why they shouldn't be afforded the right of other living creatures that constitutes not being slaughtered and eaten for our own pleasure. From a health standpoint, there isn't really any nutritional benefit to meat-eating a person can't get from a well-balanced vegetarian diet, and there's (heavily debated) evidence that even "good" meat-eating has adverse health consequences. It's also a lot easier to "buy ethically" in terms of not supporting the worst of the worst corporations and those who engage in otherwise noxious humanitarian/environmental/etc. practices if one refrains from eating meat.

That said, I eat meat and really have no plans to stop. I do it for all the cultural reasons that get discussed, and at a base level that I enjoy the taste of meat. But, I'd admit it's a moral failing on my part.
That's exactly where I'm at. I enjoy the taste of meat, but I know that I have to ignore a lot of indefensible stuff to do so. If there's one area of self-improvement that I'd like to get to, it's eschewing meat, but (ho ho) the flesh is weak at this point.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 19888
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: PETA's great ideas keep a-rollin'

Post by matedog » 01 Aug 2016, 4:07pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:There's really no coherent argument against veganism (or, at least, vegetarianism) that I've come across. The preponderance of evidence is that animals can, and do, feel and understand their own suffering and I can't really come up with a cogent argument why they shouldn't be afforded the right of other living creatures that constitutes not being slaughtered and eaten for our own pleasure. From a health standpoint, there isn't really any nutritional benefit to meat-eating a person can't get from a well-balanced vegetarian diet, and there's (heavily debated) evidence that even "good" meat-eating has adverse health consequences. It's also a lot easier to "buy ethically" in terms of not supporting the worst of the worst corporations and those who engage in otherwise noxious humanitarian/environmental/etc. practices if one refrains from eating meat.

That said, I eat meat and really have no plans to stop. I do it for all the cultural reasons that get discussed, and at a base level that I enjoy the taste of meat. But, I'd admit it's a moral failing on my part.
That's exactly where I'm at. I enjoy the taste of meat, but I know that I have to ignore a lot of indefensible stuff to do so. If there's one area of self-improvement that I'd like to get to, it's eschewing meat, but (ho ho) the flesh is weak at this point.
Likewise.

I understand and don't disagree with veganism and understand animals suffer to be put on my plate. That being said, I enjoy the taste sufficiently to overrode what minimal moral qualms I have.

I only hate vegans when I'm going to dinner with one.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71096
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: PETA's great ideas keep a-rollin'

Post by Dr. Medulla » 01 Aug 2016, 4:12pm

matedog wrote:I only hate vegans when I'm going to dinner with one.
B's been vegan for well over a year now, but her choice wasn't out of morality but diet. Both dairy and, increasingly, meat was playing havoc with her digestive system. She'll still have meat when there's no other option, but a vegan diet has been much better for her health. So I'm not living with Morrissey scolding me when I grill up a hamburger.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35352
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: PETA's great ideas keep a-rollin'

Post by Marky Dread » 01 Aug 2016, 4:19pm

matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:There's really no coherent argument against veganism (or, at least, vegetarianism) that I've come across. The preponderance of evidence is that animals can, and do, feel and understand their own suffering and I can't really come up with a cogent argument why they shouldn't be afforded the right of other living creatures that constitutes not being slaughtered and eaten for our own pleasure. From a health standpoint, there isn't really any nutritional benefit to meat-eating a person can't get from a well-balanced vegetarian diet, and there's (heavily debated) evidence that even "good" meat-eating has adverse health consequences. It's also a lot easier to "buy ethically" in terms of not supporting the worst of the worst corporations and those who engage in otherwise noxious humanitarian/environmental/etc. practices if one refrains from eating meat.

That said, I eat meat and really have no plans to stop. I do it for all the cultural reasons that get discussed, and at a base level that I enjoy the taste of meat. But, I'd admit it's a moral failing on my part.
That's exactly where I'm at. I enjoy the taste of meat, but I know that I have to ignore a lot of indefensible stuff to do so. If there's one area of self-improvement that I'd like to get to, it's eschewing meat, but (ho ho) the flesh is weak at this point.
Likewise.

I understand and don't disagree with veganism and understand animals suffer to be put on my plate. That being said, I enjoy the taste sufficiently to overrode what minimal moral qualms I have.

I only hate vegans when I'm going to dinner with one.
So basically all moral judgements are cast aside in favour of the flavour. What a bunch of weak minded self centered assholes us humans really are. I don't agree with eating humans but they probably taste good also. ;)
Image
Image

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 12590
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: PETA's great ideas keep a-rollin'

Post by Silent Majority » 01 Aug 2016, 4:23pm

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: Very true. The wet food we feed our cats is a blend of duck and tuna or chicken and tuna. According to the package, it's all steroid free and ethically killed, etc., but your point remains.
I do think people need to not be horrified about cultures eating dogs.
No more no less than any other culture that decides what is or isn't a pet.
It is all entirely culturally generated/learned. Strictly speaking, it is illogical that we make these choices, but, save for vegans, there's a compromise made. I admit to being weirded out by the idea of eating cat, dog, or horse, but dispassionately I shouldn't be. Meh.
I agree and meh indeed.

I guess no fish, no fur, no feather. Someone is going to tell me plants have a right to live also.
"Vegetable rights and peace."
'But also: hey dude, you can just go looking for more glasses. They're all free now. '

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Rat Patrol
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 14573
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 9:23pm
Location: A flat burning junkheap for twenty square miles

Re: PETA's great ideas keep a-rollin'

Post by Rat Patrol » 01 Aug 2016, 4:24pm

Marky Dread wrote:I don't agree with eating humans but they probably taste good also. ;)
Kinda gamey. :shifty: ⁶⁶⁶
Image

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35352
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: PETA's great ideas keep a-rollin'

Post by Marky Dread » 01 Aug 2016, 4:26pm

Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote: I do think people need to not be horrified about cultures eating dogs.
No more no less than any other culture that decides what is or isn't a pet.
It is all entirely culturally generated/learned. Strictly speaking, it is illogical that we make these choices, but, save for vegans, there's a compromise made. I admit to being weirded out by the idea of eating cat, dog, or horse, but dispassionately I shouldn't be. Meh.
I agree and meh indeed.

I guess no fish, no fur, no feather. Someone is going to tell me plants have a right to live also.
"Vegetable rights and peace."
Don't bring me down and hassle me maaaaaaaan.
Image
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests