Politics and other such topical creams.
Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Re: PETA's great ideas keep a-rollin'

Post by Rat Patrol »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:PETA apparently has no idea how shitty it is to offer to pay the water bills of inner city Detroit poor IF AND ONLY IF they agree to go vegan.
If your tactics include preying on the desperate, self-defining as representing superior morality should result in a complete internal collapse due to profound contradictions. One would think, anyway.
Ah, but when your organization is based on the initial presumption that internal chaos and self-defeating contradiction is a feature not a bug. . .
They're Marxists?
eumaas left the cult compound because he really badly wanted a steak, and never returned. :shifty:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:PETA apparently has no idea how shitty it is to offer to pay the water bills of inner city Detroit poor IF AND ONLY IF they agree to go vegan.
If your tactics include preying on the desperate, self-defining as representing superior morality should result in a complete internal collapse due to profound contradictions. One would think, anyway.
Ah, but when your organization is based on the initial presumption that internal chaos and self-defeating contradiction is a feature not a bug. . .
They're Marxists?
eumaas left the cult compound because he really badly wanted a steak, and never returned. :shifty:
eumaas! Even when it was the bears, I knew it was him.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Also: It's really hard not to believe that PETA is a sincere animal rights organization and not some kind of Koch brothers false front group. What explains my mutual love of critters and loathing of PETA?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Also: It's really hard not to believe that PETA is a sincere animal rights organization and not some kind of Koch brothers false front group. What explains my mutual love of critters and loathing of PETA?
No. They're a vanity organization for their founders. Always have been. Results don't matter, publicity and getting invited to the right parties do. That they've been stunningly successful at garnering publicity for so long is their most baffling achievement. By this point you would've figured they'd have to periodically show their hardcore bona fides a la Greenpeace's stunts to stay relevant or watched their membership and donations wither when people realize that they stand for nothing. And I'm not saying that their membership is smart...they quite obviously are overwhelmingly shallow and vain. But at least some small % would've had to realize over time what BS they're supporting, tuned out, and left behind such a high attrition rate that that the organization is stuck in neutral.

They're the militant vegan lobby. Animal rights have jack shit to do with it, and I'm pretty sure most animal lovers have long since left the organization. Their agenda is being authoritarian twats. Mostly about diet, but their definition of what constitutes an attack on veganism is so broad it's basically just being authoritarian about every lifestyle choice.

Now, if some false flag group did want to hostile-takeover them with right wing money they'd steer them in an anti-abortion direction. It really does fit like a glove with their authoritarian jones for screaming at and trying to legislate at people about what they're allowed to put in their bodies.

Animal lovers and pet owners donate to their local SPCA.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

No, I don't actually believe they're a front, but their media status is offensive and almost certainly taints animal rights proponents among the undecided. The simplest answer is that the media loves sensationalism and PETA, to their credit, come up with attention-grabbing gimmicks that the camera loves.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Also: It's really hard not to believe that PETA is a sincere animal rights organization and not some kind of Koch brothers false front group. What explains my mutual love of critters and loathing of PETA?
I've always thought that too.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:With bonus Onion goodness: http://www.theonion.com/articles/peta-d ... mbo,36613/
Why can't Dumbo end up chained to a post with a cruel master where he gets beaten everyday and gets hardly any food as punishment for getting drunk earlier in the movie. Those Elephants never learn.

You could of course just change the name of the movie to "Smart Mammal".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Image
The irony being I expect the vast majority of pet owners feed their pet food that is behind that line.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
The irony being I expect the vast majority of pet owners feed their pet food that is behind that line.
Very true. The wet food we feed our cats is a blend of duck and tuna or chicken and tuna. According to the package, it's all steroid free and ethically killed, etc., but your point remains.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Very true. The wet food we feed our cats is a blend of duck and tuna or chicken and tuna. According to the package, it's all steroid free and ethically killed, etc., but your point remains.
I do think people need to not be horrified about cultures eating dogs.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I do think people need to not be horrified about cultures eating dogs.
No more no less than any other culture that decides what is or isn't a pet.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia