Politics and other such topical creams.
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Spiff wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 5:13pm
I grew up in Wisconsin.

It was a progressive state for all the time I lived there, from 1964 to 1978.

How it turned into a GOP shithole starting in the 2000s, I never could fathom. The best I can come up with is inbred German-American rural yahoos getting fired up by the usual right-wing tropes.

But, like you, I'm so glad to see Walker tossed onto the political garbage heap.
I agree with you to a point. But wait, there’s more!

The Boston Irish have been a liberal stronghold since 1880. Jesuit Catholic ideals and stiff arm mob voting brought us from abject poverty to a solid middle class standard. My dad is one of seven boys of which five still live. He’s the only Democrat of the bunch. My cousins are teachers, cops, and firefighters and are nearly all Trumpheads. It blows my mind. It might be the most vexing question of my adult life.

I’ve become pretty cynical. I don’t like most people.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 9:29pm
Spiff wrote:
I grew up in Wisconsin.

How it turned into a GOP shithole starting in the 2000s, I never could fathom. The best I can come up with is inbred German-American rural yahoos getting fired up by the usual right-wing tropes.

But, like you, I'm so glad to see Walker tossed onto the political garbage heap.

The Boston Irish have been a liberal stronghold since 1880. Jesuit Catholic ideals and stiff arm mob voting brought us from abject poverty to a solid middle class standard. My dad is one of seven boys of which five still live. He’s the only Democrat of the bunch. My cousins are teachers, cops, and firefighters and are nearly all Trumpheads. It blows my mind. It might be the most vexing question of my adult life.

Been driving through Weymouth a lot more lately. I have never seen so many MAGA and/or Blue Lives Matter bumper stickers on Masshole cars than that particular slice of South Shore hell. Or Geoff Diehl for Senate signs on front lawns.

Where'd the Irish-Catholics high-tail it to when fear of a black Boston kicked off white flight in earnest? Of course!

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Rat Patrol wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 3:02am

Been driving through Weymouth a lot more lately. I have never seen so many MAGA and/or Blue Lives Matter bumper stickers on Masshole cars than that particular slice of South Shore hell. Or Geoff Diehl for Senate signs on front lawns.

Where'd the Irish-Catholics high-tail it to when fear of a black Boston kicked off white flight in earnest? Of course!
That's a cop town. Strangely, the Irish-Catholics who broke out of civil services tend to be the dyed in the wool liberals.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 9:29pm
Spiff wrote:
I grew up in Wisconsin.

That reminds me of the weird super conservative like fourth generation (give or take) Italians in San Francisco. A lot of them work for the city in trades and stuff and are bafflingly conservative. Probably partially the Catholicism, partially the fact that they are the old guard and are seeing their claim to the city being challenged by newcomers.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 11:34am
That reminds me of the weird super conservative like fourth generation (give or take) Italians in San Francisco. A lot of them work for the city in trades and stuff and are bafflingly conservative. Probably partially the Catholicism, partially the fact that they are the old guard and are seeing their claim to the city being challenged by newcomers.
So much of conservatism, especially post-Civil Rights, is plain old status anxiety. It's a sad contradiction that a segment of the population that doesn't want to give up its privilege and compete against others (read: non-whites, women) yokes itself to a party that promotes ruthless competition (amongst labour, anyway; Republicans are cool with oligopolies on the capital side of the equation).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 11:41am
matedog wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 11:34am
So much of conservatism, especially post-Civil Rights, is plain old status anxiety. It's a sad contradiction that a segment of the population that doesn't want to give up its privilege and compete against others (read: non-whites, women) yokes itself to a party that promotes ruthless competition (amongst labour, anyway; Republicans are cool with oligopolies on the capital side of the equation).
The wife's uncle is a union plumber that works for the city of SF. And he's super conservative which makes no god damn sense to me. I haven't engaged him ever as he is otherwise a lovely guy, but I can only imagine it's status anxiety. You can't buy a house in San Francisco or nearly any neighboring community if you are a plumber now, as one obvious example.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Spiff wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 7:53am
Just wanted to take a moment to savor the defeat of Scott Kevin Walker. I figured it would be a tight race. I went to bed with things essentially knotted up...but was very, very, very happy to wake up and see that the race had been called for his challenger, Tony Evers.

He has been a horrendous governor and a very horrible human being. He pushed through Act 10 - a bill that aimed to destroy collective bargaining for public workers. He pushed to make Wisconsin a "right-to-work" state. He signed a horrible voter ID law. He defunded Planned Parenthood. He refused federal money to fund healthcare, roads, and mass transit. He was horrible for education and for the environment. He was fleeced by a Taiwanese company called Foxxconn to build a huge plant - we're basically building this gigantic, environmental disaster for them and they're going to "repay" us by bringing "thousands of good paying jobs" to Wisconsin...except they're already drawing back plans and expectations.

He has been a failure and I thought maybe we had him when we tried to recall him in 2012. We had the signatures to force a recall election, but we ran the wrong candidate. We kept running the same candidate and it felt a little hopeless...but his failed 2016 presidential run hurt him and in the end I think enough people in Wisconsin were just tired of his shtick.

We also re-elected Tammy Baldwin to the United States senate and bounced out our corrupt waste of an attorney general.

My only disappointment was that we didn't take back WI-1, which was Paul Ryan's old seat. The GOP elected a goofier looking clone of Ryan - but I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that Wisconsin is one of the worst gerrymandered states in the country.

Anyway - I'm happy.
I grew up in Wisconsin.

It's an interesting state when you look at the map. The northwest corner is solidly blue. The area around Madison is - of course - very blue and then Milwaukee - for the most part - votes Democratic. You have a lot of "Country Club Republicans" in the counties that circle Milwaukee. I've often wondered how much election "clout" the low populated counties in the rest of the state have. They're typically red and yes - they most definitely get fired up by the usual right-wing tropes.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Jeff Flake might be the most precious, willfully naive and ignorant Republican of all time. Or he's really hoping that he can sell the bullshit narrative that he's the noble one. Either way, go get hit by a train, dink.
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/flak ... p-priority
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Trump and the Republicans are xenophobic racists, which makes them bad. Here comes Hillary to the rescue!
https://splinternews.com/heres-hillary- ... 1830622170

Hillary Clinton and centrist Democrats: Republican policies without the Republican brand.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Nov 2018, 5:20pm
Trump and the Republicans are xenophobic racists, which makes them bad. Here comes Hillary to the rescue!

Hillary Clinton and centrist Democrats: Republican policies without the Republican brand.
It seems she is just attempting (badly) to remain somewhat relevant at this point...
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 10:15am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It seems she is just attempting (badly) to remain somewhat relevant at this point...
A friend of mine likes to say we won't be rid of the Clintons until they've been decapitated, and the parts burned and buried in separate locations.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 10:44am
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

A friend of mine likes to say we won't be rid of the Clintons until they've been decapitated, and the parts burned and buried in separate locations.
She'll run for the Primary, win it, and lose the general.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 11:12am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Honestly can't see it. The ego is definitely there, but she's a two-time loser (first time to Obama). She got the nomination last time because it was somehow owed to her. There'll be all kinds of gross corporate liberals running in 2020 without her baggage.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 12:01pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Honestly can't see it. The ego is definitely there, but she's a two-time loser (first time to Obama). She got the nomination last time because it was somehow owed to her. There'll be all kinds of gross corporate liberals running in 2020 without her baggage.
I think you underestimate the hold of the Clinton money, connections and allies in powerful positions for the Dems.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 12:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 12:01pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I think you underestimate the hold of the Clinton money, connections and allies in powerful positions for the Dems.
She was given her shot, tho, and she blew it to an absolute boob. After getting steamrolled by Obama in '08, the DNC had to rig the game to make sure she wasn't beaten by Sanders, but they couldn't fix it against a meathead. The Clintons may be powerful, but the insiders know that she's a loser and her type is very replaceable (Biden, Booker, etc). Plus, she might be the one candidate to get disaffected Trump voters back on his side, while pissing off the younger, more leftish Democratic base. If she were pushed thru, it would take a massive conspiracy of insane insiders. The negatives are so much greater than the positives to any operator that I can't see it going anywhe43.