The Future of the Republican Party

Politics and other such topical creams.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Post by WestwayKid »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/05/politics ... index.html

This is beyond shameful. Wisconsin Republicans held onto the state legislature purely through gerrymandering and now are actively trying to limit the power of the Dem governor elect (as well as the incoming AG). To hear these pieces of crap try and defend their actions on television this morning makes me ill. Robin Vos - who is one of the biggest clowns in the state - claims they're just trying to get a seat at the table. Really? They still control the legislature (even though they wouldn't if districts were drawn correctly). I think they have a seat at the table. This is just a sour grapes move designed to circumvent the will of the people. I really, truly hate them all...
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 7:21am

This is beyond shameful. Wisconsin Republicans held onto the state legislature purely through gerrymandering and now are actively trying to limit the power of the Dem governor elect (as well as the incoming AG). To hear these pieces of crap try and defend their actions on television this morning makes me ill. Robin Vos - who is one of the biggest clowns in the state - claims they're just trying to get a seat at the table. Really? They still control the legislature (even though they wouldn't if districts were drawn correctly). I think they have a seat at the table. This is just a sour grapes move designed to circumvent the will of the people. I really, truly hate them all...
They hate you too!
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
08 Dec 2018, 12:51am
WestwayKid wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 7:21am

They hate you too!
They sure do!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

WestwayKid wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 12:20pm
Kory wrote:
They hate you too!
They sure do!
I used to have this t-shirt back in the day, can't figure out what happened to it:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 12:30pm
WestwayKid wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 12:20pm
Kory wrote:
They hate you too!
They sure do!
I used to have this t-shirt back in the day, can't figure out what happened to it:
I've still got a "Bush Hates Me" shirt, with W. in neon green and yellow. I was wearing it once while at lunch with my sister and her then-young daughter. My niece asked, "Does Bush really hate Uncle Neil?" My sister didn't miss a beat: "Yeah, probably."
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 4:11pm
Silent Majority wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 2:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 12:26pm
Silent Majority wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 12:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Nov 2018, 12:01pm

Honestly can't see it. The ego is definitely there, but she's a two-time loser (first time to Obama). She got the nomination last time because it was somehow owed to her. There'll be all kinds of gross corporate liberals running in 2020 without her baggage.
I think you underestimate the hold of the Clinton money, connections and allies in powerful positions for the Dems.
She was given her shot, tho, and she blew it to an absolute boob. After getting steamrolled by Obama in '08, the DNC had to rig the game to make sure she wasn't beaten by Sanders, but they couldn't fix it against a meathead. The Clintons may be powerful, but the insiders know that she's a loser and her type is very replaceable (Biden, Booker, etc). Plus, she might be the one candidate to get disaffected Trump voters back on his side, while pissing off the younger, more leftish Democratic base. If she were pushed thru, it would take a massive conspiracy of insane insiders. The negatives are so much greater than the positives to any operator that I can't see it going anywhe43.
We aren't dealing with logical people with the world's best interests at heart, though.
No, they want to win and get their snouts back in the trough. And there's no reason to think that Hillary is the best path to that when there are any number of corporate liberal hacks available without her baggage. And, unlike 2016, more of those bastards will be running in the primaries. Because she'd been anointed by the party in 2016—it was "her turn," which is always a horrible reason—she had no competition in the primaries from others like her. That wouldn't be the case in 2020.
I think your instincts were better than mine on this one. Beto O'Rourke looks like the anointed one to hand Trump another four years.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
23 Dec 2018, 6:10pm
Beto O'Rourke looks like the anointed one to hand Trump another four years.
Beyond deep cynicism, I just don't see how people are so quick to award Trump a second term. Assuming he's even in a position to run again (a fairly big if), it ignores the facts that: 1) Clinton, despite being very unappealing, polled 3M votes more and needed only minor shifts in three states to win in the EC; 2) the off-year elections had a high turnout that led to the biggest Democrat gains since 1974; and 3) Trump will actually be running (again, if he does run) against his own record—legislative and investigations against him—not his fantastical promises about how easy it'll be for him to supply unicorns to every household. This isn't to be all Pollyannaish about Democrats, but the notion that Trump is a sure thing is baffling. If anything, his line of bullshit seems less effective than before with his base. The Democrats don't need a political saviour in 2020—some kind of generational candidate—but one who doesn't seem a massive fuck-up.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Dec 2018, 6:26pm
Silent Majority wrote:
23 Dec 2018, 6:10pm
Beto O'Rourke looks like the anointed one to hand Trump another four years.
Beyond deep cynicism, I just don't see how people are so quick to award Trump a second term. Assuming he's even in a position to run again (a fairly big if), it ignores the facts that: 1) Clinton, despite being very unappealing, polled 3M votes more and needed only minor shifts in three states to win in the EC; 2) the off-year elections had a high turnout that led to the biggest Democrat gains since 1974; and 3) Trump will actually be running (again, if he does run) against his own record—legislative and investigations against him—not his fantastical promises about how easy it'll be for him to supply unicorns to every household. This isn't to be all Pollyannaish about Democrats, but the notion that Trump is a sure thing is baffling. If anything, his line of bullshit seems less effective than before with his base. The Democrats don't need a political saviour in 2020—some kind of generational candidate—but one who doesn't seem a massive fuck-up.
I don't think it's pure cynicism to say the election will be Trump's to lose. The first side of the issue is the Democrats keeping neoliberal policies between their teeth, like a dog with a favoured chew toy. Since 2008, those kind of viciously pro-capital policies have declined worldwide. They don't cut muster with people because the Faustian bargain of the third way - just enough scraps to the peasants to keep them quiet - has reached its natural endpoint. The Democrats are going to be incapable of a New New Deal which would have been the only way to move them away from a shrinking elite to wider popularity. "Things as they were!" isn't catching fire as a slogan on any political badges anywhere.

The other side is that the MAGA guys and gals can be relied upon to mobilise, with their allies the expanding alt-right, Fox News watchers and traditional golf course Republicans are still gonna hold their nose. The traditional Red states aren't looking like flipping any time soon.

Trump's supporters are 100% behind him and always will be. The gerrymandering is worse than ever and the voting palaces in Republican areas are a stark contrast to the single outdoor voting machine that has one button on it labelled "Reagan." you find in black areas. Trump and his swamp will definitely lose the popular vote but James Madison's Electoral College will do what it was designed to do and keep the rich right wing guy in power. The real winner of the night will be people withdrawing in disgust from the election and that low turnout also favours the racists.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
23 Dec 2018, 9:24pm
I don't think it's pure cynicism to say the election will be Trump's to lose. The first side of the issue is the Democrats keeping neoliberal policies between their teeth, like a dog with a favoured chew toy. Since 2008, those kind of viciously pro-capital policies have declined worldwide. They don't cut muster with people because the Faustian bargain of the third way - just enough scraps to the peasants to keep them quiet - has reached its natural endpoint. The Democrats are going to be incapable of a New New Deal which might move them away from a shrinking elite.
They're crafty enough to campaign leftish enough (e.g., O'Rourke) and will be able to offer "competence" compared to Trump. They'd be wretched in power, of course, but that's something else.
The other side is that the MAGA guys and gals can be relied upon to mobilise, with the Fox News watchers, the golf course Republicans and the Red states aren't looking like flipping while the votes of people of colour will be repressed or sent to the shredder. His supporters are 100% behind him and always will be. The gerrymandering is worse than ever and the voting palaces in Republican areas are a stark contrast to the single outdoor voting machine that has one button on it labelled "Reagan." you find in black areas. Trump and his swamp will definitely lose the popular vote but James Madison's Electoral College will do what it was designed to do and keep the right wing guy in power. The real winner of the night will be people withdrawing in disgust from the election and that low turnout also favours the racists.

And yet, his base has eroded some and big business Republicans aren't thrilled (looting tax bill notwithstanding) with the disruptions. Given that Democrats did well in Pennsylvania and Wisconsin in 2018, should we expect that those states will be safe? Is Michigan, with Ford closing plant? My point, I think, is that Trump doesn't have much wiggle room to lose in his 2016 formula, and the early evidence suggests it has already eroded. One of the reasons why Clinton lost is that people who came out for Obama didn't switch; they stayed home. A less awful candidate that gets some of them back can be enough. If you assume that the Democrat's nominee in 2020 has the 2016 base to build from, it's far from a herculean task to push it over for the reasons I suggested in the previous post.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

And this is how the beard trend dies.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 7:26pm
I usually don't like to comment on people's looks, but that is one ugly motherfucker.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 10:30am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I usually don't like to comment on people's looks, but that is one ugly motherfucker.
It's rare that I have such a deep visceral dislike of someone based solely on their looks. (Lena Dunham is another person I dislike on sight alone.) Add his repulsive views and personality and he's a perfect storm of wretchedness.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 10:39am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It's rare that I have such a deep visceral dislike of someone based solely on their looks. (Lena Dunham is another person I dislike on sight alone.) Add his repulsive views and personality and he's a perfect storm of wretchedness.
Which can also be said for Lena Dunham.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 10:39am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Aw, there are plenty of perfectly fine men and women who look like Lena Dunham.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/