Post by Mimi »

revbob wrote:
10 Jan 2023, 10:06am
Sparky wrote:
10 Jan 2023, 9:50am
revbob wrote:
10 Jan 2023, 8:52am
Sounds about right.
Question for those attracted to men, is there any non-dystopian world where Gaetz could be seen as attractive or even not hideous? Personality etc aside.
:yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Post by Kimmelweck »

This never gets old.

The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... 234659336/

It's fucking Veep-worthy material with Santos. Just an endless number of lies to make him the star of every story.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2023, 11:18am

It's fucking Veep-worthy material with Santos. Just an endless number of lies to make him the star of every story.
He's going to be president someday.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

There will be a movie made about him one day.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Republicans don't give a shit about this right? They are just going to let this blow over.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
12 Jan 2023, 11:50am
Republicans don't give a shit about this right? They are just going to let this blow over.
Well, the local party is calling for his resignation but I suspect of Santos just holds his ground it'll all blow over eventually (and I think he suspects that too). If Santos does resign, there's a real chance that would be a Dem pickup, so I can't imagine the national party pressuring him to do anything.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
12 Jan 2023, 11:25am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2023, 11:18am

He's going to be president someday.
I believe his cv says he was president of Tasmania from 2004 to 2013, so he's got experience!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
12 Jan 2023, 11:52am
matedog wrote:
Well, the local party is calling for his resignation but I suspect of Santos just holds his ground it'll all blow over eventually (and I think he suspects that too). If Santos does resign, there's a real chance that would be a Dem pickup, so I can't imagine the national party pressuring him to do anything.
If anything does it, it'll be state or federal justice charging him. But gutting the ethics office first week in was a clear signal that the Republican caucus isn't going to do anything to him.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

matedog wrote:
I suspect they'll tolerate anything in order to keep one more red vote and a democrat from wining his seat in congress.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sparky wrote:
12 Jan 2023, 12:15pm
matedog wrote:
I suspect they'll tolerate anything in order to keep one more red vote and a democrat from wining his seat in congress.
Its all sport now and you either win or lose.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
12 Jan 2023, 1:03pm
Sparky wrote:
12 Jan 2023, 12:15pm
matedog wrote:
Its all sport now and you either win or lose.
Yup, it's pure tribal power politics. Today's Republicans would shit on a picture of Reagan if they thought it would make a liberal angry.

Flex

Post by Flex »

The counterfactual, I suppose, is whether if it was a Democrat in a thin majority if folks would want him to resign. I think the Dems generally have a better vetting process so it's less likely that someone this brazen of a liar would get through, but if it somehow happened I dunno how excited folks would be about losing a seat. Party dwarfs individual competence 99.9% of the time in policy making.

Now, for a certain contingent who think Democrats are the same or worse than Republicans it would be a non-issue (indeed, the whole joke from that view is that Santos, or a Santos-like Dem in this hypothetical, is getting any extra scrutiny at all when he's only a fraction of the charlatan and mass murderer that someone like Joe Biden is). But I think outside of that position, it probably becomes a harder issue to land on. What if a democratic Santos were a key vote in a climate change package? You'd probably want him to stay.

For Republicans, they view him as a key vote to pass legislation legalizing the torture of trans people and so forth, so it's easy to see why they'd want him to stick around.

Addendum: Off the top of my head, Liz Warren has completely fabricated having native American ancestry for decades and decades and no one has called for her resignation.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
12 Jan 2023, 1:11pm
The counterfactual, I suppose, is whether if it was a Democrat in a thin majority if folks would want him to resign. I think the Dems generally have a better vetting process so it's less likely that someone this brazen of a liar would get through, but if it somehow happened I dunno how excited folks would be about losing a seat. Party dwarfs individual competence 99.9% of the time in policy making.

Now, for a certain contingent who think Democrats are the same or worse than Republicans it would be a non-issue (indeed, the whole joke from that view is that Santos, or a Santos-like Dem in this hypothetical, is getting any extra scrutiny at all when he's only a fraction of the charlatan and mass murderer that someone like Joe Biden is). But I think outside of that position, it probably becomes a harder issue to land on. What if a democratic Santos were a key vote in a climate change package? You'd probably want him to stay.

For Republicans, they view him as a key vote to pass legislation legalizing the torture of trans people and so forth, so it's easy to see why they'd want him to stick around.

Addendum: Off the top of my head, Liz Warren has completely fabricated having native American ancestry for decades and decades and no one has called for her resignation.
Franken got booted very quickly, tho in a state with a Democratic governor, so there was no vote loss.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2023, 1:25pm
Franken got booted very quickly, tho in a state with a Democratic governor, so there was no vote loss.
Yeah, I think popular wisdom is that if there had been any chance the seat would have flipped he would not have been asked to resign. Also, to the point about tribalism, there are ton of people both in the party apparatus and just regular voters who think it was a mistake, despite it having absolutely no policy consequences.

Pex Lives!