Politics and other such topical creams.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 2:01pm
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/ ... ham-837391

Lindsey forgets he's not supposed to say the quiet part loud.
My girlfriend mentioned she had read (I think NYT) that the GOP is clinging to Kavanaugh so much because it's not about sexual misconduct or whatever - it's all about overturning Roe v Wade. They see this as their chance and they will fight to the death until they get him confirmed. Very scary stuff.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 11:37am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

My girlfriend mentioned she had read (I think NYT) that the GOP is clinging to Kavanaugh so much because it's not about sexual misconduct or whatever - it's all about overturning Roe v Wade. They see this as their chance and they will fight to the death until they get him confirmed. Very scary stuff.
R v. W is certainly part of it, but also other conservative dreams involving eradicating labour and civil rights, along with enhancing presidential power. And timing is important, as failure to get Kavanaugh thru now means almost certainly waiting until after the midterm elections, where it's possible the Senate will shift to the Democrats. And if that happens, my guess is that both sides figure there won't be any SupCt hearings until after 2020. Democrats would argue—with some merit—that a president under multiple investigations can't put forth a justice who could be hearing his case. And thanks to the Garland example only a couple years ago, the Senate is no obliged to hold hearings on SupCt nominations if it doesn't want to. And for originalists in the audience, it wasn't until after the Civil War that nine justices became the standard. Pre-War, the numbers fluctuated, so the notion of nine is mere custom, which originalists don't put any stock in anyway. So I would guess that both sides know that this might be the last shot for some time. Mind you, I imagine the Republicans would try a recess appointment, which would be a whole new level of shitshow, but one apocalypse at a time.

edit: could be hearing, not would
Last edited by Dr. Medulla on 24 Sep 2018, 1:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 12:19pm
WestwayKid wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 11:37am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

R v. W is certainly part of it, but also other conservative dreams involving eradicating labour and civil rights, along with enhancing presidential power. And timing is important, as failure to get Kavanaugh thru now means almost certainly waiting until after the midterm elections, where it's possible the Senate will shift to the Democrats. And if that happens, my guess is that both sides figure there won't be any SupCt hearings until after 2020. Democrats would argue—with some merit—that a president under multiple investigations can't put forth a justice who would be hearing his case. And thanks to the Garland example only a couple years ago, the Senate is no obliged to hold hearings on SupCt nominations if it doesn't want to. And for originalists in the audience, it wasn't until after the Civil War that nine justices became the standard. Pre-War, the numbers fluctuated, so the notion of nine is mere custom, which originalists don't put any stock in anyway. So I would guess that both sides know that this might be the last shot for some time. Mind you, I imagine the Republicans would try a recess appointment, which would be a whole new level of shitshow, but one apocalypse at a time.
...and this is what it has come to...
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Edit: *never mind*
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 8:08pm
You think like an American voter.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 8:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Grrrrrrrrrr. :curses1:
(I made a joke about his family, but it's cheap to drag his kids into it.)

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 8:31pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 8:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Grrrrrrrrrr. :curses1:
(I made a joke about his family, but it's cheap to drag his kids into it.)
Fuck them. We have enough rope.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.newsweek.com/ted-cruz-serpe ... rs-1137248

Think about how much awful behaviour conservatives admire in each other, or at least tolerate or rationalize. And then appreciate how many conservatives openly despise Ted Cruz. I find it all quite striking.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 1:55pm
https://www.newsweek.com/ted-cruz-serpe ... rs-1137248

Think about how much awful behaviour conservatives admire in each other, or at least tolerate or rationalize. And then appreciate how many conservatives openly despise Ted Cruz. I find it all quite striking.
Hating Ted Cruz is what unites us across the political spectrum.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

My god, Ted Cruz is only two years older than Beto O'Rourke (and one younger than me). Add that to the "Being a Complete Garbage Person Prematurely Ages You Horribly" theory.

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 4:26pm
My god, Ted Cruz is only two years older than Beto O'Rourke (and one younger than me). Add that to the "Being a Complete Garbage Person Prematurely Ages You Horribly" theory.
Huckabee Sanders just turned 36.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 4:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 4:26pm
Huckabee Sanders just turned 36.
Right. Stephen Miller is younger yet. Just crazy.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Another thought: Between the religious right's support of Trump and shoulder shrug of his, well, let's say unChristian personality and behaviour, and the open disregarding of sexual assault, man, the 1980s and the Moral Majority sure seem a long time ago. Even if the leaders of the movement were phoney as hell, their supporters were mostly quite sincere. Now there's barely any pretence of a moral superiority and the soul of the nation, etc etc. That front of the Culture Wars is pretty much done.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Emotionally functioning humans typically don't do things like this in public.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Rat Patrol wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 11:33pm

Emotionally functioning humans typically don't do things like this in public.
...and that feeling you get when you realize it's Ted Cruz who's been sitting in front of you making quiet but disconcerting nasal piggy noises for the entire transcontinental flight: