Page 31 of 35

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Posted: 22 Aug 2016, 5:20pm
by BostonBeaneater
Image


Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Posted: 01 Dec 2016, 3:13pm
by BostonBeaneater
Top of the fridge! Great idea.
Police said Jacob Remaley attacked his mom and little brother after his dad left for work Wednesday morning. The teen grabbed his dad's gun from on top of the kitchen fridge and went to his parents' bedroom, where he shot his sleeping mother once in the forehead around 7 a.m.

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Posted: 01 Dec 2016, 3:24pm
by Rat Patrol
BostonBeaneater wrote:Top of the fridge! Great idea.
Police said Jacob Remaley attacked his mom and little brother after his dad left for work Wednesday morning. The teen grabbed his dad's gun from on top of the kitchen fridge and went to his parents' bedroom, where he shot his sleeping mother once in the forehead around 7 a.m.
Why not affixed to a refrigerator magnet? Jeez...I'd never keep track of my bottle openers if they were lost in the pile of shit on top of the fridge.

Image

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Posted: 01 Dec 2016, 9:21pm
by Wolter
Rat Patrol wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:Top of the fridge! Great idea.
Police said Jacob Remaley attacked his mom and little brother after his dad left for work Wednesday morning. The teen grabbed his dad's gun from on top of the kitchen fridge and went to his parents' bedroom, where he shot his sleeping mother once in the forehead around 7 a.m.
Why not affixed to a refrigerator magnet? Jeez...I'd never keep track of my bottle openers if they were lost in the pile of shit on top of the fridge.

Image
My girlfriend when I was 19 was from upstate SC. Her father kept a loaded glock in the kitchen counter. Her 5-yo nephew lived with them.

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Posted: 06 Jan 2017, 12:57pm
by BostonBeaneater

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Posted: 06 Jan 2017, 2:40pm
by Flex
This is extremely good and proves we are a just and free society.

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Posted: 08 Feb 2017, 9:00am
by Dr. Medulla
matedog wrote:
03 Apr 2016, 10:59am
I've never understood originalists. If you have to go back to what things were like back then and really try to interpret what they really meant, don't you have to ignore that they were all slave owners?
Because I remember you raising the question of originalism once …
https://thebaffler.com/blog/originalism ... i=42174802

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Posted: 09 Feb 2017, 1:19pm
by matedog
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Feb 2017, 9:00am
matedog wrote:
03 Apr 2016, 10:59am
I've never understood originalists. If you have to go back to what things were like back then and really try to interpret what they really meant, don't you have to ignore that they were all slave owners?
Because I remember you raising the question of originalism once …
https://thebaffler.com/blog/originalism ... i=42174802
Good memory and article. I actually reread this discussion a week or so ago.

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Posted: 02 Oct 2017, 7:54am
by Dr. Medulla
That the record for deadliest mass shooting in the US would be broken in just over a year doesn't surprise me. That's fucking depressing. That this will also be a shrug and probably also a bump in gun sales is also fucking depressing. Price of freedom and all that shit, right?

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Posted: 02 Oct 2017, 9:15am
by revbob
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 7:54am
That the record for deadliest mass shooting in the US would be broken in just over a year doesn't surprise me. That's fucking depressing. That this will also be a shrug and probably also a bump in gun sales is also fucking depressing. Price of freedom and all that shit, right?
I just heard audio of this and its pretty gut wrenching. The pace of the shooting would seem to indicate it was an automatic weapon. There will be expressions of thoughts and prayers but ultimately like you said will somehow be a win for gun nuts

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Posted: 02 Oct 2017, 10:18am
by BostonBeaneater
revbob wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 9:15am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 7:54am
That the record for deadliest mass shooting in the US would be broken in just over a year doesn't surprise me. That's fucking depressing. That this will also be a shrug and probably also a bump in gun sales is also fucking depressing. Price of freedom and all that shit, right?
I just heard audio of this and its pretty gut wrenching. The pace of the shooting would seem to indicate it was an automatic weapon. There will be expressions of thoughts and prayers but ultimately like you said will somehow be a win for gun nuts
I just heard the recording too. This was a machine gun spraying high caliber rounds at the rate of five or so per second. If only there was a good hotel with a machine gun nearby. This country is mentally ill.

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Posted: 02 Oct 2017, 10:35am
by matedog
revbob wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 9:15am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 7:54am
That the record for deadliest mass shooting in the US would be broken in just over a year doesn't surprise me. That's fucking depressing. That this will also be a shrug and probably also a bump in gun sales is also fucking depressing. Price of freedom and all that shit, right?
I just heard audio of this and its pretty gut wrenching. The pace of the shooting would seem to indicate it was an automatic weapon. There will be expressions of thoughts and prayers but ultimately like you said will somehow be a win for gun nuts
Reading some other forums, people are saying it was likely "bump firing" (ie not an automatic rifle) due to inconsistent rate of fire:

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Posted: 02 Oct 2017, 10:40am
by Dr. Medulla
BostonBeaneater wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 10:18am
This country is mentally ill.
These events demonstrate the malignant side of faith. A rational assessment of these occurrences, especially their frequency, should make a rational person conclude that the rules governing American society, legal and cultural, are encouraging these events that demonstrably decrease the quality of life—people are killed, wounded, and/or traumatized, others are warier of their fellow citizens and their own safety in public. Yet to the ardent pro-gun side, none of this matters. The private good of being able to acquire a gun always and wholly trumps any social consequences of gun violence. One cannot deviate from the faith that unrestricted access to weapons and ammunition is a good thing, regardless of consequences. These shootings cannot be taken as evidence of flawed norms because that counters an article of faith. The number of deaths or shootings are literally irrelevant. That's why the two sides of the gun argument can no longer have a meaningful discussion—one side is arguing from evidence and consequences, the other from faith.

As I've said before, if the US was under strict gun control and there were all these numbingly regular shootings, a fair-minded person would be right to question whether gun control was working. Yet the converse, whether easy access is working, is a non-starter.

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Posted: 02 Oct 2017, 11:47am
by BostonBeaneater
matedog wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 10:35am
revbob wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 9:15am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 7:54am
That the record for deadliest mass shooting in the US would be broken in just over a year doesn't surprise me. That's fucking depressing. That this will also be a shrug and probably also a bump in gun sales is also fucking depressing. Price of freedom and all that shit, right?
I just heard audio of this and its pretty gut wrenching. The pace of the shooting would seem to indicate it was an automatic weapon. There will be expressions of thoughts and prayers but ultimately like you said will somehow be a win for gun nuts
Reading some other forums, people are saying it was likely "bump firing" (ie not an automatic rifle) due to inconsistent rate of fire:
Thank you for this. I shall be able to up my efficiency.

Re: The Gun Politics Thread

Posted: 02 Oct 2017, 2:23pm
by 101Walterton
matedog wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 10:35am
revbob wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 9:15am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 7:54am
That the record for deadliest mass shooting in the US would be broken in just over a year doesn't surprise me. That's fucking depressing. That this will also be a shrug and probably also a bump in gun sales is also fucking depressing. Price of freedom and all that shit, right?
I just heard audio of this and its pretty gut wrenching. The pace of the shooting would seem to indicate it was an automatic weapon. There will be expressions of thoughts and prayers but ultimately like you said will somehow be a win for gun nuts
Reading some other forums, people are saying it was likely "bump firing" (ie not an automatic rifle) due to inconsistent rate of fire:
Why?